ESS hasnt worked for a long time

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
Mine stopped working and I disconnected both batteries and charged the aux battery with my jumper battery. I left it connected to the jumper battery the whole morning while both batteries were disconnected from the wrangler. Later I connected both batteries and it started working again.
Sponsored

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
Mine stopped working as soon as I aired the tires down enough to get a warning on the dash. Since I only wheel in the rig and don't need to drive far, I keep the tires at 26 psi and that disables ESS.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Mine stopped working as soon as I aired the tires down enough to get a warning on the dash. Since I only wheel in the rig and don't need to drive far, I keep the tires at 26 psi and that disables ESS.
Are you sure that’s the reason? I don’t see any purpose to disabling ESS based on a low tire.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Are you sure that’s the reason? I don’t see any purpose to disabling ESS based on a low tire.
You're right. I aired up to 38 PSI and it's still not activated. 2021 JLR bought in June 2021 and it has less than 1,200 miles on it. I'll have the dealer check it when I have my free oil change.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You're right. I aired up to 38 PSI and it's still not activated. 2021 JLR bought in June 2021 and it has less than 1,200 miles on it. I'll have the dealer check it when I have my free oil change.
Scroll to the ESS page on the cluster. Should give you some idea why it isn't working.

Sponsored

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Scroll to the ESS page on the cluster. Should give you some idea why it isn't working.
Stop/Start
Not Ready
Cabin
Cololing or
Heating

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
It's working perfectly, and as I report in this thread, It broke me of my bad habit, leave it running.

EU_Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY20 JLUR 2.2 EcoDiesel
OP here. I forgot to update this thread. But my solution was to trickle charge overnite fully charging both batteries. After that, and about 10 miles/15 minutes of driving, the ESS went READY and worked. From what I gather, the Jeep needs to drive fairly frequently for the AUX (and Main) to fully and properly charge. Not sure exactly how long in time or miles, but I can tell you I dont drive nearly enough. I average maybe 20-25 miles and 45-50 minutes daily. So as stated earlier by a previous poster, the cause of the problem is alot of short trips. The victim is the batteries and therefore the ESS system. Im not going to bother going in for load tests just yet. The trickle charging works and seems like it will just need be a part of regular battery maintenance for this vehicle.
Cride1, your batteries are shot. Follow Rhinebeck advice.
Chazdog, thats normal, but should go away once cabin reaches suitable temp. After that, it might read engine temp too low or similar. Then battery charging for a short time. Then ready if working properly. At least thats the prompts I get.
Trickle charging seems to be the answer. Get one and use it. If that doesnt solve the problem, 1 or both batteries are shot and need to be replaced.
Hi, I am in a very similar situation I think...
my question is: how do you properly trickle charge BOTH batteries?
TIA

Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Hi, I am in a very similar situation I think...
my question is: how do you properly trickle charge BOTH batteries?
TIA
I just put my Battery Tender on the main battery terminals, seems to do them both. Been about 3 weeks since I last topped them off and ESS is still working as expected even though it's gotten colder here and I use the heater more. It only fails to come on when it's heating up the cabin - which is normal.

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
I thought my ESS didn't work for the longest time. But come to find out it doesn't engage when I have the A.C. on and at the coldest temp, which is 99% of the time.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Stop Start Not Ready:
Driver ’s seat belt is not buckled.
• Driver ’s door is not closed.
• Battery temperature is too warm or cold.
• Battery charge is low.
• The vehicle is on a steep grade.
• Cabin heating or cooling is in process and an acceptable cabin temperature has not been achieved.
• HVAC is set to full defrost mode at a high blower speed. • HVAC set to MAX A/C.
• Engine has not reached normal operating temperature. • The transmission is not in a forward gear.
• Hood is open.
• Transfer case is in 4LO or Neutral
• Brake pedal is not pressed with sufficient pressure.

Other Factors Which Can Inhibit Autostop Include:
• Accelerator pedal input.
• Engine temp too high.
• Vehicle speed threshold not achieved from previous auto-stop (2 mph (3 km/h) BSG, 5 mph (8 km/h) ESS
• Steering angle beyond threshold.
• ACC is on and speed is set.
• Vehicle is at high altitude
• System fault present
• Low fuel is detected

It may be possible for the vehicle to be driven several times without the STOP/START system going into a STOP/ START READY state under more extreme conditions

BrennanJL

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brennan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Unlimited
I currently have 91k on my 3.6L JLU and for the last 40k have had a message stating "battery protection mode" start stop unavailable. Thank god I don't have to press that button every time, failed ESS is the best mod.
Sponsored