Sponsored

ESS hasnt worked for a long time

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
So I came here because I think I may be having an aux battery issue but something really weird just happened. It started yesterday when my remote start would not work after setting for 6 or 7 hours. It would honk once and would not start. When I did start it, it kind of started slowly, kind of dragged, turned over a couple more times that normal before starting. Remote start would not work today at lunch time either, but the ESS function worked normally. On my way back from lunch today, setting at a stop light, the light turns green and I start to push the gas and it dies. Don't really recall seeing any kind of message or on the dash or anything. It starts back up and I am able to drive away. Now what is really odd is that I started watching the voltage when remote start would not work yesterday. It was setting between 12 and 13 volts typically which is low. When ESS restarted it after a stop I saw it dropped down into the 11s. After this episode at the stop light, it is now setting at 14.3 volts continuous, ESS is no longer working, remote start is working and when I pull up the ESS menu on the dash it says it can't be used because the battery is charging... I have not idea what is going on with it.
@cride1

What's going on is that both of the batteries on your 2018 JL, have aged out and need replacement. Do so asap or be faced with a no start situation.

IF, still under your 3 yr., 36,000 mi. warranty, have dealer address the battery(2) replacement for you.

If not, if you are a tad handy with tools, you can easily change out the 2 batteries yourself for about $350.00+-. Forum search will give you all the info you need in regard to battery(2) replacement by the JL, owner.

Sponsored

cride1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I have about 500 miles left on my warranty...

I wonder if the main battery will test bad since it is setting at 14+ volts now. I am trying to get an appointment with them, but they are less than easy to work with!

@cride1

What's going on is that both of the batteries on your 2018 JL, have aged out and need replacement. Do so asap or be faced with a no start situation.

IF, still under your 3 yr., 36,000 mi. warranty, have dealer address the battery(2) replacement for you.

If not, if you are a tad handy with tools, you can easily change out the 2 batteries yourself for about $350.00+-. Forum search will give you all the info you need in regard to battery(2) replacement by the JL, owner.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have about 500 miles left on my warranty...

I wonder if the main battery will test bad since it is setting at 14+ volts now. I am trying to get an appointment with them, but they are less than easy to work with!
@cride1

Good chance that the Main is iffy along with the Aux battery. You are close to end of warranty so do the following....

Service Departments are notorious for saying they load tested BOTH batteries but in fact they load tested one or both.... or neither.... 8-(

Take your JL in and ask to please speak to the Service Manager... not the Service Writer...

Speak to the Service Manager and very politely.... again, politely ask to see the paper printout of each of the 2 batteries in regard to their load testing... this way you know both were tested ..... YOU saw the results....

You want to address BOTH batteries as you are so close to the end of your 36,000 mi warranty.... and also if you do not want to get stranded thanks to them not doing what they should be doing in regard to testing BOTH batteries..

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@cride1

BEST BET for you, is to contact the Rep as explained below and have a case started... Get this documented, NOW, before your warranty expires. Let the Rep know you are having headaches getting the dealer to eval the JL.... and get you the 2 load test results...

IF you JL has a no start episode, call the # below and get the free flat bed for your JL to the nearest dealer... Remember the JL has to be flat bedded to the dealer per the Owner's Manual and not towed!! Tell person that takes the call you need a flat bed truck!

Regardess of what anyone here spews, the best move is to CALL the Dedicated FCA Customer Care # and not message Jeep Cares through the forum..

1-800-992-1997 takes the caller to FCA Customer CARE where you can select Roadside Assistance plus a variety of other options to include Warranty assistance, UConnect help and more.. This number allows the caller to not only talk to a Rep to get Roadside Assistance, but also to talk to a Rep to work out an agreement that the vehicle not go to the closest Jeep dealership... You can also complain about an issue.... ask ? and more...

1-800-521-2779 takes the caller directly to reps in regard to just Roadside Assistance.. The Rep just schedules a tow vehicle for you.. Sure, that Rep can probably transfer you to FCA Customer Care..

FCA also has this number:
Dedicated Jeep Customer Assistance: Ph. 1-866-362-2146 which takes you directly to a "Jeep Advisor". An advisor that will properly open a case for you with FCA.

In closing, all the numbers mentioned above could be used.... I more often then not, say call the 1-800-992-1997 number because it covers all bases so to speak and not just getting you a flatbed truck for transport of your disabled vehicle.

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
Mine stopped working within a few days of ownership but the message reads differently.

stop/start
not ready
cabin
cooling or
heating

Should I be as concerned as those with the not charging message? I enjoy my Jeep without this feature but if it's a sign of a more serious underlying issue, I'll have to have it looked at.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Kllrbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
OP here. I forgot to update this thread. But my solution was to trickle charge overnite fully charging both batteries. After that, and about 10 miles/15 minutes of driving, the ESS went READY and worked. From what I gather, the Jeep needs to drive fairly frequently for the AUX (and Main) to fully and properly charge. Not sure exactly how long in time or miles, but I can tell you I dont drive nearly enough. I average maybe 20-25 miles and 45-50 minutes daily. So as stated earlier by a previous poster, the cause of the problem is alot of short trips. The victim is the batteries and therefore the ESS system. Im not going to bother going in for load tests just yet. The trickle charging works and seems like it will just need be a part of regular battery maintenance for this vehicle.
Cride1, your batteries are shot. Follow Rhinebeck advice.
Chazdog, thats normal, but should go away once cabin reaches suitable temp. After that, it might read engine temp too low or similar. Then battery charging for a short time. Then ready if working properly. At least thats the prompts I get.
Trickle charging seems to be the answer. Get one and use it. If that doesnt solve the problem, 1 or both batteries are shot and need to be replaced.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
@Reinen

I agree, ESS not working is a sign of something, but that something could just as much be failing batteries as it could be driving habits not consistent with giving the ESS battery/system ample charging time given the way it was designed. This speaks poorly of neither the driver nor Stellantis. Although not ideal, people should be allowed to habitually drive 5 mile trips, and for Stellantis to have designed the ESS system differently would have come at other expenses, including purchase and owner operating cost.
I don't think you're quite grasping it. The battery issue has nothing to do with ESS. If the ESS system was removed entirely (including the Aux battery) you would still have the battery lifespan issue, especially if you primarily take short drives. ESS just happens to be the first thing impacted by failing batteries. The battery would still fail to start the Jeep eventually, just without ESS failing first.

What causes the battery issue is the large amount of always-on low power devices which constantly draw from the battery. So the culprit is wireless key fobs, auto-updating radio, vehicle monitoring, etc. This causes the lead-acid battery to never be fully charged while the vehicle is idle. This in itself damages the battery. Lead acid can't handle that (while lithium can). It wasn't a problem 15-20 years ago because when those vehicles were off they really were off with zero draw on the battery. That's not how vehicles work anymore. Add in short drives where the battery doesn't have time to recharge from the cold start and you make the problem worse.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Do we agree that trickle charging nonetheless might address this?
Oh, it absolutely does. In fact I got the Cascadia 4x4 solar panel specifically for this because I primarily take short trips around town accentuated by very long overlanding trips. Most people assume it's to power a fridge on the long trips but it's really to help the battery out on the short town trips.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
OP here. I forgot to update this thread. But my solution was to trickle charge overnite fully charging both batteries. After that, and about 10 miles/15 minutes of driving, the ESS went READY and worked. From what I gather, the Jeep needs to drive fairly frequently for the AUX (and Main) to fully and properly charge. Not sure exactly how long in time or miles, but I can tell you I dont drive nearly enough. I average maybe 20-25 miles and 45-50 minutes daily. So as stated earlier by a previous poster, the cause of the problem is alot of short trips. The victim is the batteries and therefore the ESS system. Im not going to bother going in for load tests just yet. The trickle charging works and seems like it will just need be a part of regular battery maintenance for this vehicle.
Cride1, your batteries are shot. Follow Rhinebeck advice.
Chazdog, thats normal, but should go away once cabin reaches suitable temp. After that, it might read engine temp too low or similar. Then battery charging for a short time. Then ready if working properly. At least thats the prompts I get.
Trickle charging seems to be the answer. Get one and use it. If that doesnt solve the problem, 1 or both batteries are shot and need to be replaced.

Tim, just some info that may help. You drive your Jeep more than I do, and I've not had any problem other than actually having the ESS battery replaced. Mine has sat up to 4 weeks several times when we were out of town, and it starts right up with no issues or CEL's. I don't know if I just lucky here, but I wanted to give you that info to keep in the back of your mind if needed.

BTW, I have several trickle chargers, and will be hooking the Jeep up now after your suggestion. I don't want to take any chances. :)

Sponsored

OP
OP

Kllrbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Thanks for the lengthy explanation. Honestly, my driving habits arent going to change and trickle charging works. Its absolutely no problem for me as I use it all the time for classic car and motorcycle over the winter here. Thats what Im sticking with. When the batteries DO go, I might look into alternative methods (Genesis, etc). I might not. Ill cross that bridge when I come to it.
I appreciate the responses, but what really bugged me initially was just not knowing what was going on and not having any control over it. Now that I know trickle charging works, its all good. As far as how the system is designed, its intended purpose, and the results, Im not going to get into that. Much smarter people than me can debate that...LOL.
Wanted33....Im not sure. Seems to just be alot of variance. Could be as simple as you being "down south in Dixie" where the winters are mild and me being up north where the winters are brutal, where my Jeep lives outside year round. Cant say...

After doing some research on the subject, there is SO much info out there, its incredible. At this point, its like beating a dead horse, as the saying goes.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the lengthy explanation. Honestly, my driving habits arent going to change and trickle charging works. Its absolutely no problem for me as I use it all the time for classic car and motorcycle over the winter here. Thats what Im sticking with. When the batteries DO go, I might look into alternative methods (Genesis, etc). I might not. Ill cross that bridge when I come to it.
I appreciate the responses, but what really bugged me initially was just not knowing what was going on and not having any control over it. Now that I know trickle charging works, its all good. As far as how the system is designed, its intended purpose, and the results, Im not going to get into that. Much smarter people than me can debate that...LOL.
Wanted33....Im not sure. Seems to just be alot of variance. Could be as simple as you being "down south in Dixie" where the winters are mild and me being up north where the winters are brutal, where my Jeep lives outside year round. Cant say...

After doing some research on the subject, there is SO much info out there, its incredible. At this point, its like beating a dead horse, as the saying goes.
You may be onto something there brother. :)

Chazdog

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Honda Pilot for now
@Chazdog: The ESS battery, even in good state, lacks the capacity to run the HVAC at all but a low setting and still engage an ESS event.
[/QUOTE]
I should have mentioned that when the “stop/start not available - cabin cooling or heating” message comes up the AC and heat are not operating at the time.

Last edited:

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I should have mentioned that when the “stop/start not available - cabin cooling or heating” message comes up the AC and heat are not operating at the time.
That is very odd. The only times I see that message is when the HVAC is actively on (either in Auto mode or manual) and the cabin hasn't settled in to the set temperature. If you have the fan in anything but OFF that counts as cabin heating or cooling.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Well now, after the backordered parts (Dana left rear chromoly axle shaft) for my 20' 3.6 JLR finally arrived and I put her back together and off jack stands, I discovered a welcome surprise: ESS is no longer working, no messages and everything else is working fine! Prior to firing her up I slow charged both batteries separately and both test out good. Since my 19' RAM does not have ESS, I really did not even think about it till a quick trip to Dallas for business and the rental car had ESS-then it dawned on me the ESS on my JLR was dead. Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, all I can say is RIP ESS!!!
Sponsored