Sponsored

Dealer won't fix what another dealer worked on?

FormerF150Owner

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Sienna, Jeep JKU 2016, ordered 2 door JL 2021 on 8/10/2020
Wondering if this has ever happened to anyone? I picked up my custom built Jeep JL 2 door on 9/29. On 10/15 it gives me a flashing CEL so it has to be towed to the closest dealer near my work. Dealer # 1 keeps it until today and tells me it's ready to come pick up - they replaced a fuel injector on cylinder #4. I pick it up and after about 300 yards of driving I feel it's not running right and doesn't sound right. Due to the roads in Houston I decide it's easier not to turn and and fight the traffic but instead to take it to the dealer nearest my house (25 miles away). I take it to dealer #2 and they see it has a code "P2097 - pending - downstream fuel trim system 1 rich".

The service advisor says that due to the extensive work dealer #1 performed, they can't work on it because if dealer #1 broke something and dealer #2 has to fix the problem, the cost will come out of my pocket. My Jeep had 437 miles on when it went to dealer #1. Does it sound correct that dealer #2 can't fix what dealer #1 worked on? I did drive it back to dealer #1 where the service advisor opens the hood and says he looking for mice tracks because "sometime they get under the hood and chew wires". I had to inform him it came straight from the factory in Ohio to my TX dealer and then straight to my enclosed garage where I have no mice.

Why would I have to pay for something when my Jeep still has <475 miles on it?

Jeep Wrangler JL Dealer won't fix what another dealer worked on? IMG_0829

IMG_0830.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
typically, car dealers don't warranty each other's work.

while you have a warranty from FCA, the COST of the warranty repairs are handled at the dealer level, then they get reimbursed from FCA. you probly wouldn't have to pay anything, but if the tech at dealer #1 messed up, then it's a "warranty return" and he'll have to eat that time to fix it (and determine if the problem goes further) and dealer #2 isn't going to eat the cost to fix dealer #1's mistake.

you need to take it back to the dealer who did the work, unless you can get FCA to force dealer #2 to work on it.

OP
OP
FormerF150Owner

FormerF150Owner

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Sienna, Jeep JKU 2016, ordered 2 door JL 2021 on 8/10/2020
typically, car dealers don't warranty each other's work.

while you have a warranty from FCA, the COST of the warranty repairs are handled at the dealer level, then they get reimbursed from FCA. you probly wouldn't have to pay anything, but if the tech at dealer #1 messed up, then it's a "warranty return" and he'll have to eat that time to fix it (and determine if the problem goes further) and dealer #2 isn't going to eat the cost to fix dealer #1's mistake.

you need to take it back to the dealer who did the work, unless you can get FCA to force dealer #2 to work on it.
Thanks for that info and it makes sense. I wish FCA would have had it towed to the dealer closest to me but they donā€™t do that. I noticed after I left today that the tech said it was ready on 10/24 in the afternoon, but no one called me. It wasnā€™t until I called today that I found out it was ready to pick up. I just hope they can fix the issue and get the engine running smoothly.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Thanks for that info and it makes sense. I wish FCA would have had it towed to the dealer closest to me but they donā€™t do that. I noticed after I left today that the tech said it was ready on 10/24 in the afternoon, but no one called me. It wasnā€™t until I called today that I found out it was ready to pick up. I just hope they can fix the issue and get the engine running smoothly.
Im sorry to hear about this with a brand new jeep! Hopefully its something simple and they can get you going again. Dealers really can make or break the Jeep experience and unfortunately thereā€™s a lot of bad ones out there for every good one

brett