First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
If my ESS is defeated, via Tazer, does the 2nd battery come into play at all? Is that it only reason for its existence?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
If my ESS is defeated, via Tazer, does the 2nd battery come into play at all? Is that it only reason for its existence?
@rickinAZ

Not sure where you are going with this ? .... but the reason for existence of the Aux battery in the dual battery system supposedly, is to take some of the 12v demand/needs... of the JL during, ESS use off the back so to speak of the Main battery....

A guy/gal running their JL, with just the Main is best to not use ESS or use it very little. IF you do run with just the Main, (Aux is bypassed properly or removed properly) and do not use ESS then no need really for the Aux battery.

The Tazer JL or say a SmartStopStart unit...... they defeat/disable nothing.... All they do in essence is push the ESS button for you / remember what your last button push (on or off in regard to ESS)was.

Your Main and Aux are connected together in parallel. With that said, if your Main has issues, then the Aux battery is negatively impacted.... If the Aux battery has issues then the Main is negatively impacted..

With that said.... even if a JL, owner pushes the ESS button to turn off ESS routinely or if he/she, has a Tazer or SSS do that deed for him, the two/BOTH batteries make up your dual battery system at all times...

Common misconception is if you do not use ESS thanks to button push off of ESS or a Tazer or SSS doing the deed for you that the Aux is not important, not in the loop so to speak, will cause you no headaches if it dies, etc.... Some JL owner's take joy if they see the message ESS disabled all the tine ..... when in fact they should be worried and have the issue addressed.

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
i dont know if it's tied in with either of the batteries having issues, but since i got the AutoPark Inop and Stop/Start Inop messages a couple days ago, other little things have stopped working:

the radio doesn't turn off when i kill the engine and open the door.
the dome lights don't come on when i open the door.
in lock/unlock buttons on the front doors have stopped working. i have to use the remote to unlock the other doors.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The auxiliary battery powers many accessories while the engine is in a ESS-induced slumber.

I also had ESS defeated with a Tazer. Nevertheless, I started having miscellaneous electrical gremlins as the auxiliary battery weakened and neared replacing.

Replacing the auxiliary battery eliminated all the gremlins.

Even after you defeat ESS, those accessories still rely on the auxiliary battery to run.

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)