ESS battery dead

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
A quote from a source much better at explaining it then me.

"Excessively draining a battery, or leaving it in a state of discharge, will allow the soft lead sulfate to crystallize. At that point, charging the battery will still cause some of the sulfation to reverse, but any crystallized lead sulfate will remain on the plates. This sulfate cannot, under normal circumstances, return to a solution in the electrolyte, which permanently reduces the available output of the battery.

The other detrimental effect of allowing crystallized lead sulfate to form is that it effectively shortens the lifespan of the battery in an empirically measurable way. If too much of this crystallization is allowed to occur, the battery will no longer be able to provide enough amperage to start the engine, and it will have to be replaced."

yes thanks, possibly but I think the battery would have to be really drained to zero and left in that state still for a prolong time , I am not too worried about this issue , if I need to boost the Jeep I will just boost it but what I find strange is how some drivers are OK with the idea that the battery may not last potent after 2 - 3 weeks of inactivity , thanks again
Sponsored

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
RTFM ;)
STORING THE VEHICLE
If you are storing your vehicle for more than 21 days, we recommend that you take the following steps to minimize the drain on your vehicle’s battery:
• Disconnect the negative cable from battery.

thanks , I am just going risk it , after all I do not live in Fairbanks and my Jeep is at an underground garage , if needed I will boost it the old fashioned way

Last edited:

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
It's what we used to do before all of the smart chargers. That was a long time ago. lol. A $40-$50 smart charger / maintainer is cheap insurance.
Tell Jeep, they wrote the manual. Is the aux battery charged with charger when key is off?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Tell Jeep, they wrote the manual. Is the aux battery charged with charger when key is off?
I read there were some changes between 2018 and 2019 with the ESS charging and battery. Maybe someone will chine in on this.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
After having not driven my Jeep for 5 days, it wouldn’t start yesterday morning. It was completely dead - remote entry wouldn’t work, no instrument panel activity at all, wouldn’t turn over at all, nothing.

Got it jump started, and then engine light was on and error message saying Start/stop unavailable, service Start/stop.

Drove it straight to the dealer, fixed by the next morning. ESS second battery had failed - no charging at all.

Lucky I was parked in my driveway at home and not somewhere remote.

one other observation - I had noted the engine feeling a little rough, more noticeable at idle, which they said was related. Has gone away now. Something to keep your eye out for.

thanks to Normandin - great service experience!
It took them all day and overnight to replace a battery?

I’m not sure that I consider that good service.

Sponsored

OP
OP
dalema

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
It took them all day and overnight to replace a battery?

I’m not sure that I consider that good service.
i don’t know - I turn up unannounced just before lunch, they ask me if it’s okay to leave it with them which I agree to. They have to diagnose it, and I get a call early the next morning saying come pick it up. I’ve had worse experiences.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I read there were some changes between 2018 and 2019 with the ESS charging and battery. Maybe someone will chine in on this.
I'll chime in. I don't know what you read or any difference with the charging, but the starting process has changed. The startup aux battery testing whose failure would prevent starting now happens after startup. Now it can start with a bad aux and good main battery.

Aux battery should still charger charge with the key off.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
The startup aux battery testing whose failure would prevent starting now happens after startup. Now it can start with a bad aux and good main battery.
This is a great improvement. Does anyone know if this change can be made retroactively to 2018s via a software update or something?

Mtrctylarry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I’ll say this Mike, if that report is true I would be absolutely pissed off. Some poor person pays 40-50k on a Jeep and they have to wait extra weeks over a battery squabble?
They mind as well tell the customer f**k you!
It’s no different.
Not to worry, New Way Cool Bronco coming soon with much better powertrains and equal or better off road worthiness.

sarum87

First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ 7
Vehicle Showcase
I have one of the first 2 door Rubicon's with 3.6 engine and tow package. Has about 5k on her. drive mostly on weekends. i started to see warning lights about start/stop battery and brought it to dealer. long story short, I had to pay for a new aux battery. I now trickle charge it every time it's not being driven.

Will replace the whole system with Genesis dual battery system soon....

Sponsored

Quetzal

First Name
ERIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Teacher
My 2019 sat in the garage for about a month last summer and started right up like always.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I keep mine on a tender as much as I can and it’s my daily driver, I only work 14 day’s a month and on my work days it’s 60 miles round trip and then we do some short trips here and there with the occasional road trip but not to many of them lately.

I use a quick connect with my Deltran so it’s pretty painless to connect and disconnect, I know the batteries won’t last forever but whatever I can do to prolong their life I will do.

Guy Jepsy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018+ Rubicon JLU
My 2018+ lost its ESS battery months ago and all I lost was the ESS system itself. If you can call that any loss. During long storage or during the CV19 layover, I use a small solar panel that plugs into the unswitched “cigarette” outlet. Trickle charging whether it is parked at the trailhead or the driveway. Seems to be working fine for me, starts every time.
Sponsored