First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
With my 3.0 L diesel, on the highway at 60 mph, 8th gear, 1500 rpm, I average 27.5 mpg. My 2010 JKR with the 3.8 L (minivan engine) averaged about 18 mpg on a good day. It was a 4 speed automatic.

So I am pretty happy with 27.5 mpg. Not happy with the price if diesel fuel these days.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Based on what… your opinion??
You might want to spend some time on YouTube taking a look at some videos before making statements like these 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Which part isn't factually accurate? Sure people tow little trailers with a wrangler, but that 3500lb rating is pathetic at best. It is absolutely not a real tow rig in the least bit. If you don't understand that the 4xe makes more torque than the ecodiesel you simply cannot read. If you don't understand that electric motors make torque at lower rpms than even a diesel can even run at, you should do some research. If you don't understand that ultimately getting a stuck vehicle moving will always be traction limited, and that given the same vehicle on the same tires the one that weighs more will have more traction, the 4xe absolutely has that advantage too. Did I miss anything? Facts>feelings

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Really only wondering why they haven't put the hybrid powertrain in the JT-
That v6 is the ultimate tow motor tough, I mean it exists in the JT so by your logic it is. Time to sell the Cummins and the hemi, we've all been doing it wrong.

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
Which part isn't factually accurate? Sure people tow little trailers with a wrangler, but that 3500lb rating is pathetic at best. It is absolutely not a real tow rig in the least bit. If you don't understand that the 4xe makes more torque than the ecodiesel you simply cannot read. If you don't understand that electric motors make torque at lower rpms than even a diesel can even run at, you should do some research. If you don't understand that ultimately getting a stuck vehicle moving will always be traction limited, and that given the same vehicle on the same tires the one that weighs more will have more traction, the 4xe absolutely has that advantage too. Did I miss anything? Facts>feelings
I don’t know if you actually have been stuck off-roading and in what situation, but let me just say that when it comes to mud and climbing in some off-roading occasions all that extra weight is doing is helping your jeep sink quicker vs helping you gain traction, also this has been stated by jeep engineering not just people opinion that the 4xe true power is mostly delivered in 4H and not 2 wheel drive, which if you go and watch some videos you’ll see my point, don’t judge everything by what you see on numbers, trust me I’ve driven both the diesel and 4xe a lot cause I couldn’t decide but ultimately jeep will improve this technology battery size etc etc on the 4xe
1 KW = 1.341 HP
1 HP = 0.7457 KW

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I don’t know if you actually have been stuck off-roading and in what situation, but let me just say that when it comes to mud and climbing in some off-roading occasions all that extra weight is doing is helping your jeep sink quicker vs helping you gain traction, also this has been stated by jeep engineering not just people opinion that the 4xe true power is mostly delivered in 4H and not 2 wheel drive, which if you go and watch some videos you’ll see my point, don’t judge everything by what you see on numbers, trust me I’ve driven both the diesel and 4xe a lot cause I couldn’t decide but ultimately jeep will improve this technology battery size etc etc on the 4xe
1 KW = 1.341 HP
1 HP = 0.7457 KW
Off road weight is a disadvantage, nobody was arguing that? Of course the diesel is still heavy, so if that is your ultimate measure, the 2.0t has the best power to weight ratio. My initial response was to the video of the diesel pulling out a stuck semi in a snow storm on flat ground. Any wrangler has enough power for that task, but the heaviest one will do the job better it's simple physics.

mikegil

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
1 KW = 1.341 HP
1 HP = 0.7457 KW
@Antonio Please don't take this as a flame, it isn't meant to be, but you make two points above (both true) but it's not clear where you are going with them:

1) There's more power available in the 4xe in 4H than 2..yep, too much power with zero rolling = wheel slip, so Jeep powers down the motor unless you have all 4 wheels engaged. True. What were you getting at?
2) 1 KW > 1 HP - yep, again, spot on. Different ways of measuring the same thing with different units. 1 inch > 1 cm, but why is this relevant?

I'm sure you were making a point, just not clear on what it was. Not wading into the weight vs. less weight argument, I personally have no idea, just wanted to understand the other bits you were saying.

Antonio

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon diesel
@Antonio Please don't take this as a flame, it isn't meant to be, but you make two points above (both true) but it's not clear where you are going with them:

1) There's more power available in the 4xe in 4H than 2..yep, too much power with zero rolling = wheel slip, so Jeep powers down the motor unless you have all 4 wheels engaged. True. What were you getting at?
2) 1 KW > 1 HP - yep, again, spot on. Different ways of measuring the same thing with different units. 1 inch > 1 cm, but why is this relevant?

I'm sure you were making a point, just not clear on what it was. Not wading into the weight vs. less weight argument, I personally have no idea, just wanted to understand the other bits you were saying.
Hi, Mike
No worries we are all just having a conversation here and sharing opinion etc, so don’t worry no flame warning needed lol 😂 but all I was trying to say is in regards to the other member we were going back and forth writing stuff discussing, is that by number the 4xe in terms of kw to hp obviously it’s delivered quicker by the electric motor compared to the gas motor, and both the 4xe which can’t deliver all its power in only 2 wheel mode and the diesel which was scale back due to the high amount of torque, from the Dodge Ram application compared to the wrangler. So based on what you see from videos of other owners posted on site like youtube etc sometimes you can’t just base everything off numbers etc, I completely understand the other member point about the video posted on here of the jeep owner pulling a tractor trailer and I get it, if you have good traction you can achieve that, but you’d be surprised now a days of the things that you wouldn’t think or think can be done by a vehicle solely based on specs but then you’d come across a video that will contradict all of that! 🤷‍♂️ I’ve seen an old Touareg back when VW first introduced it’s diesel V10 pull a passenger jet, but then get whipped by a suv with lower specs. I liked both jeeps when I drove them, I can’t say anything negative bout either drivetrain both have their plus, my opinion is simply that a jeep isn’t made for towing and isn’t really a Tesla 🤷‍♂️ and trying to judge a vehicle simply by it’s specs of engine output will lead you to some surprises

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
If you bought a wrangler as a tow rig, your opinion of the right tool for the job is questionable. If you need a bunch of torque to get a vehicle unstuck, absolutely the 4xe wins hands down by weight alone. Add in the fact that it does make more torque at lower rpms, and you can't actually believe the diesel wins that competition? Hook them both up to a strap and the diesel gets drug every time.
I got $1000 on my diesel in 2x4 against a 4xe with the same size tires and gearing. In whatever mode with whatever charge

Sponsored

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
The more research I do into the 4xE, the less interested I become . . .

How much torque does it deliver once the battery is depleted?

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
That is not cool and hope my usage is something less than that. Hoping, for less than that.
thats good DEF usage. You should see how much our HD trucks use. It’s cheap and readily available anywhere. Only thing I don’t like is how much plastic and cardboard waste there is to “save the environment“

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The more research I do into the 4xE, the less interested I become . . .

How much torque does it deliver once the battery is depleted?
The battery is never depleted, there is always a reserve from regenerative braking alone. While I don't own a 4xe, I've been daily driving a company cmaxx for years. It has not been plugged in in over 20k miles. The electric motor is always there. The battery gets depleted to the point that it won't run in fully electric mode, it never gets depleted to the point that you don't have electric assist. That's not how hybrids work. Do you guys really think that non-plug in prius got an initial charge from the factory and then just hauled around dead batteries and electric motor after that?

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
The battery is never depleted, there is always a reserve from regenerative braking alone. While I don't own a 4xe, I've been daily driving a company cmaxx for years. It has not been plugged in in over 20k miles. The electric motor is always there. The battery gets depleted to the point that it won't run in fully electric mode, it never gets depleted to the point that you don't have electric assist. That's not how hybrids work. Do you guys really think that non-plug in prius got an initial charge from the factory and then just hauled around dead batteries and electric motor after that?
Yes
Sponsored