Sponsored

Ecodiesel in cold weather

Yardstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLURD, Tundra, 4Runner, Sprinter
I'm normally a desert dweller but I'll be taking my Jeep into a cold area soon. It may not be that cold compared to what some of you experience but it looks like the Jeep will be exposed to below freezing temps and even single digits while parked overnight. There's no option for a block heater or parking indoors where I'll be. What kind of things can/should I do to prep the Jeep for those temperatures?
Sponsored

Grayhound

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlurd
I'm normally a desert dweller but I'll be taking my Jeep into a cold area soon. It may not be that cold compared to what some of you experience but it looks like the Jeep will be exposed to below freezing temps and even single digits while parked overnight. There's no option for a block heater or parking indoors where I'll be. What kind of things can/should I do to prep the Jeep for those temperatures?
Realistically you should be good down to -10f the only thing Iā€™d do is ensure your using local fuel. It may be mixed to not gel in lower temps.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
You may consider a booster, the cold might push a marginal battery over the edge.

Some folks have mentioned problems with their LED headlights getting packed with snow. I think this only happens with certain temps and snow types so hopefully you don't have to deal with it.

Last edited:

TheMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 2021 JLURD "The Big D"
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Supervisor, Air Traffic Control. RETIRED at 51 baby!!!
I live in Anchorage, Alaska and only park outside when not home. Nothing here down to -20 during the day has ever been a problem (just parked without being plugged in). I've been parked overnight in -25f and had zero problems when I've driven to Fairbanks for those odd occasions.

The JL has so many heaters for on many different components. Worry not and press on.

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

Realistically you should be good down to -10f the only thing Iā€™d do is ensure your using local fuel. It may be mixed to not gel in lower temps.
This. Hot Shots sells a winter additive, grab a bottle or two and youā€™ll be good just in case.

Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Add this to the fuel tank before you go to the colder place.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ecodiesel in cold weather 1679434852834

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

You may consider a booster, the cold might push a marginal battery over the edge.

Some folks have mentioned problems with their halogen headlights getting packed with snow. I think this only happens with certain temps and snow types so hopefully you don't have to deal with it.
And if you have a auxiliary battery there's not a booster available that will do you any good. Permanently remove your auxiliary battery it is very easy to do on the diesel Wrangler and it cost you nothing took away most of my electrical issues as well including the start/stop. The main reason I pulled mine in the first place would be in the event I was off the beaten path and needed to jump start my own battery with my booster. It never ever worked when the auxiliary battery was in place. The tow truck driver or even the dealership could not jump start the darn thing. The service writers had zero advice for me so I took the problem on myself. Fixed! Very happy ever since.

JLUR Farout

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon Farout
And if you have a auxiliary battery there's not a booster available that will do you any good. Permanently remove your auxiliary battery it is very easy to do on the diesel Wrangler and it cost you nothing took away most of my electrical issues as well including the start/stop. The main reason I pulled mine in the first place would be in the event I was off the beaten path and needed to jump start my own battery with my booster. It never ever worked when the auxiliary battery was in place. The tow truck driver or even the dealership could not jump start the darn thing. The service writers had zero advice for me so I took the problem on myself. Fixed! Very happy ever since.
You are talking the smaller battery under the main battery? Removing that did not cause any issues, codes, or dash lights and made the ESS never work? I figured that had to be in there. My ex had a 2021 JL Sport S 2.0L that she ordered (glad that problem is out of my life...not the JL) and she had dash lights and issues. Under warranty, took it in and there was a problem with that battery. Dealer replaced it and problem solved. I am 100% pro stopping ESS...these are not UPS trucks. Thanks in advance.

jonyothan

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 2dr 2.0T, '10 BMW 335i
Occupation
Fleet Maintenance Technician
Vehicle Showcase

Some folks have mentioned problems with their halogen headlights getting packed with snow. I think this only happens with certain temps and snow types so hopefully you don't have to deal with it.
Youre thinking of the LEDs because they dont generate heat. The halogens are great in the snow

Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Youre thinking of the LEDs because they dont generate heat. The halogens are great in the snow
Thanks I had a brain fart there.

bee3

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara High Altitude
I live in PA and we had one night where we got to single digits and a negative windchill. Jeep wouldnā€™t startā€¦ later that day as it got a bit warmer, it was fine.

For the rest of the winter, I used an antigel additive and didnā€™t have any issues. Of course, it never got that cold again either.

So as mentioned above, buy some Winter Defense or something similar to be safe.

OP
OP
Yardstick

Yardstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks like I'll have to try to find some things locally or on the way as I'm too close to the travel date to order anything online. I'm still on the factory fill of windshield washer fluid. I wondered about the factory LED headlights (I have them). The ones on my Tundra have their heatsinks inside the headlight housing and I suspected that was to make enough heat in the housing to melt off snow. I don't see that same design feature in the Wrangler headlights. I passed through the town I'll be staying in and fueled up there. The pump didn't shut off correctly so I got a look at some of the fuel. It looked green. It almost looked like antifreeze but maybe darker. Would that be indicative of a winter/cold weather fuel? It seemed to run just fine.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Looks like I'll have to try to find some things locally or on the way as I'm too close to the travel date to order anything online. I'm still on the factory fill of windshield washer fluid. I wondered about the factory LED headlights (I have them). The ones on my Tundra have their heatsinks inside the headlight housing and I suspected that was to make enough heat in the housing to melt off snow. I don't see that same design feature in the Wrangler headlights. I passed through the town I'll be staying in and fueled up there. The pump didn't shut off correctly so I got a look at some of the fuel. It looked green. It almost looked like antifreeze but maybe darker. Would that be indicative of a winter/cold weather fuel? It seemed to run just fine.
Street use diesel should be clear. Green is for agricultural purposes. Though it is the same exact fuel except for the dye, it has legal consequences if used for on road purpose.
https://www.automotiveguider.com/automotive-guides/what-color-is-diesel-fuel/

Green-dyed diesel
Green-dyed diesel fuel is available in some states for agricultural use only. It is dyed green to indicate that itā€™s meant for agricultural use and cannot be used for any other purpose.

OP
OP
Yardstick

Yardstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)