Ecodiesel in cold weather

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
That's what I thought. It was at a common name brand station and wasn't marked as anything out of the ordinary.
You should bring it to the attention of the gas station manager. And save the receipt just in case.
Sponsored

Kleiss1

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD 2018 Mustang GT 6-sp.
Just a headsup. You can’t get washer fluid in Maricopa county that is anti-freeze. Don’t know why. I never could figure that one out. I get mine when I’m in flagstaff.

OP
OP
Yardstick

Yardstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLURD, Tundra, 4Runner, Sprinter
You should bring it to the attention of the gas station manager. And save the receipt just in case.
It was in an area that I was only passing through. I have filled up a few times since then. I'll be passing back through but I'm not sure it would be worth making a special stop at that station to address the issue. I thought it might just be the result of an additive for cold weather at the time. I will avoid it on the return trip since their pumps don't seem to shut off when they should anyway.

OP
OP
Yardstick

Yardstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just a headsup. You can’t get washer fluid in Maricopa county that is anti-freeze. Don’t know why. I never could figure that one out. I get mine when I’m in flagstaff.
That's interesting. I'm in the PNW now. I might just have to get an additive. I haven't had to use the windshield washers at all on this vehicle yet so the tank is still on the factory fill. I usually just clean the windshield with a glass cleaner and microfiber towel in the morning if it's dirty.

Kleiss1

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD 2018 Mustang GT 6-sp.
The factory fill my have the anti-freeze in it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Yardstick

Yardstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And if you have a auxiliary battery there's not a booster available that will do you any good. Permanently remove your auxiliary battery it is very easy to do on the diesel Wrangler and it cost you nothing took away most of my electrical issues as well including the start/stop. The main reason I pulled mine in the first place would be in the event I was off the beaten path and needed to jump start my own battery with my booster. It never ever worked when the auxiliary battery was in place. The tow truck driver or even the dealership could not jump start the darn thing. The service writers had zero advice for me so I took the problem on myself. Fixed! Very happy ever since.
Good to know that's a potential issue. I recall seeing something about removing and bypassing the aux battery. Mine hasn't been an issue. I am carrying a booster though so maybe I need to refresh my memory on the aux battery bypass. I won't have time to get a programmer to do anything more than that.

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

And if you have a auxiliary battery there's not a booster available that will do you any good. Permanently remove your auxiliary battery it is very easy to do on the diesel Wrangler and it cost you nothing took away most of my electrical issues as well including the start/stop. The main reason I pulled mine in the first place would be in the event I was off the beaten path and needed to jump start my own battery with my booster. It never ever worked when the auxiliary battery was in place. The tow truck driver or even the dealership could not jump start the darn thing. The service writers had zero advice for me so I took the problem on myself. Fixed! Very happy ever since.

What? That's not how this works... That's not how any of this works. Your aux battery won't prevent you from being able to start when both batteries are drained, unless you're trying to jump-start your vehicle with a single double-A battery (obviously embellished for emphasis.) Your starting capability relies on surge power and a diesel requires much more because of the air heating system it relies on to help it start. Any booster that can start your jeep will provide regardless of the charge state of your batteries... This is why on big diesels, when jumping with boosters or cars you have to wait for them to charge the main batteries for a minute or a few - because cars or boosters alone can't provide enough power to spin the increased mass AND power its pre-heating system at the same time.

If they were having trouble, it wasn't just because of the aux battery, it was because of something else going wrong in the system.

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

Good to know that's a potential issue. I recall seeing something about removing and bypassing the aux battery. Mine hasn't been an issue. I am carrying a booster though so maybe I need to refresh my memory on the aux battery bypass. I won't have time to get a programmer to do anything more than that.

Unless you are spending days of sustained sub-freezing temperatures without driving your vehicle, it won't be a problem. If you have a factory battery blanket (IE if you have the cold weather package) you doubly shouldn't have to worry about what you described. You realize that even places like Fairbanks or North Dakota that you do need an engine block heater - that's not heating the battery at all... Batteries self heat as they are exercised, so just driving around you should be fine.

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

Add this to the fuel tank before you go to the colder place.

(HSS EDT)
NOTE: Most places that need winterized diesel will already have a winterizing additive - especially the better places like Costco.

I am not saying don't use EDT, because you should - just that you won't be stranded and probably don't need to worry if you don't...

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

What? That's not how this works... That's not how any of this works. Your aux battery won't prevent you from being able to start when both batteries are drained, unless you're trying to jump-start your vehicle with a single double-A battery (obviously embellished for emphasis.) Your starting capability relies on surge power and a diesel requires much more because of the air heating system it relies on to help it start. Any booster that can start your jeep will provide regardless of the charge state of your batteries... This is why on big diesels, when jumping with boosters or cars you have to wait for them to charge the main batteries for a minute or a few - because cars or boosters alone can't provide enough power to spin the increased mass AND power its pre-heating system at the same time.

If they were having trouble, it wasn't just because of the aux battery, it was because of something else going wrong in the system.
Wasn't there a an initial flaw in JLs where a dead aux battery would make it nearly impossible to jump start it?

Sponsored

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
NOTE: Most places that need winterized diesel will already have a winterizing additive - especially the better places like Costco.

I am not saying don't use EDT, because you should - just that you won't be stranded and probably don't need to worry if you don't...
Yeah, he won't need to add any winterized additive where they serve winterized fuel at the pump. But if he reaches the destination with fuel from Arizona, then he would be better off adding the additive while in Arizona.

OP
OP
Yardstick

Yardstick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, he won't need to add any winterized additive where they serve winterized fuel at the pump. But if he reaches the destination with fuel from Arizona, then he would be better off adding the additive while in Arizona.
I'll be traveling from the PNW to AZ on this leg of the trip and getting fuel along the way. Are pumps typically marked when the fuel is winterized? I didn't notice any markings on the way up. The forecast low for the place we'll be staying overnight is down to 3 degrees F. I'll probably need 3/4 of a tank of fuel by the time we get there so I can try to fill up the night we arrive. The Hot Shot Winter EDT isn't an option unless I can find it on a shelf somewhere. It wouldn't arrive in time if I ordered it from Amazon. I'm using the LX4 additive but that isn't going to add any cold protection. Is there another trusted additive I should consider, or should I just make sure to fill up when I get to the cold area?

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
I'll be traveling from the PNW to AZ on this leg of the trip and getting fuel along the way. Are pumps typically marked when the fuel is winterized? I didn't notice any markings on the way up. The forecast low for the place we'll be staying overnight is down to 3 degrees F. I'll probably need 3/4 of a tank of fuel by the time we get there so I can try to fill up the night we arrive. The Hot Shot Winter EDT isn't an option unless I can find it on a shelf somewhere. It wouldn't arrive in time if I ordered it from Amazon. I'm using the LX4 additive but that isn't going to add any cold protection. Is there another trusted additive I should consider, or should I just make sure to fill up when I get to the cold area?
Howes or Stanadyne are also quality stuff. You may find one of the anti-gels of Hot Shots, Stanadyne or Howes in Walmart or Autozone.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Well you seem to have the answer. Been there and experienced a dead battery had to be flat bedded to the dealership. As I mentioned but in more detail the dealership brought out two of his biggest battery pack jumpers and to no dismay NO START. Assuming your example is from personal experience and worked well for you than your one of the few that does not need to worry. I have a 2020JLUD maybe yours and the problem described was remedied in your model. If nothing else I was able to eliminate the start stop feature completely with zero out of pocket. No tazer.

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

Wasn't there a an initial flaw in JLs where a dead aux battery would make it nearly impossible to jump start it?
If there was, then Holy shit what a flaw it would have to be. Wouldn't be something caused by the Aux battery itself though though, but would have to be with the PCM not allowing it to start with a dead Aux battery.

After doing some searching the interwebs, yeah looks like someone who shouldn't be allowed to attempt a "Hello World" fucked up seriously in the PCM.
Sponsored