Test driving EcoDiesel Rubicon in the morning

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
The C&D numbers put it between the 2.0 and 3.6 for 0-60 so you’re both right...how this topic continues to come up is beyond me.
The c&d #'s that I saw put the 3.0 the same as the Sahara 3.6 (the slowest 3.6) and behind the 2.0. Why it's coming up this time (from me) is I'm genuinely trying to understand the logic for wanting this powertrain. Separately, I've never seen a vehicle offer 3 different powertrains with such similar performance. It's odd.
Sponsored

OP
OP
EcoDRubi

EcoDRubi

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Eco on order.
For me I’m going diesel because I’ll be going with 3.5” and 37s I think it will net me the best mileage return over the gas rigs. I get free fuel from work so that offsets that cost a little too. The 2.0 is a beast in stock trim idk how it is on tires. The 3.6 wasn’t geared. It was sluggish and only used 5th gear. Stands to reason, it needed gears. I’m hoping the extra torque of the diesel will make all of that less of an issue all while still netting the best mileage of the 3 and obviously the most torque.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
The c&d #'s that I saw put the 3.0 the same as the Sahara 3.6 (the slowest 3.6) and behind the 2.0. Why it's coming up this time (from me) is I'm genuinely trying to understand the logic for wanting this powertrain. Separately, I've never seen a vehicle offer 3 different powertrains with such similar performance. It's odd.
One or more of four typical reasons: wheeling torque, fuel range for overland use, cost savings for those with regionally cheap diesel, and/or just liking the sound/driving characteristics of diesel. The first three are all amplified by 37”+ tires, towing, and elevation. If those issues are not part of your use-case, move on. If they are, break out your wallet and hope the engineers didn’t botch the R&D.

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Sure. Waiting for the diesel to come to 2 door with a 6MT. But what am I waiting for? A rig that costs $4k more and gets 25% better MPG with fuel that costs 25% more? And as an added bonus its slower? I just don't get it. But if you're going to mod/tune I totally get it.
Not everybody that want's a diesel JL is doing it to save on gas.

Sponsored

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
No doubt. How about providing some reasons they are, instead?
1- Low end torque for off-road use.
On one of the reviews, the driver stated that she went on a hill climb on 4H and that the 3.6l needed to be in 4L to tackle the same obstacle.
2- Better automony: more miles per tank. Very useful for long highway trips.
But again, if this is not a priority for you, just move on...

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
1- Low end torque for off-road use.
On one of the reviews, the driver stated that she went on a hill climb on 4H and that the 3.6l needed to be in 4L to tackle the same obstacle.
2- Better automony: more miles per tank. Very useful for long highway trips.
But again, if this is not a priority for you, just move on...
The low rpm horsepower is attractive (torque means nothing without an RPM multiplier). How much more range does the diesel get with the smaller fuel tank? Interesting you tell me to move on when you are the one engaging me.

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The low rpm horsepower is attractive (torque means nothing without an RPM multiplier). How much more range does the diesel get with the smaller fuel tank? Interesting you tell me to move on when you are the one engaging me.
Move on 'cause if you don't like the diesel, just don't make dumb comments on diesel threads.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
25% more range give or take...my 3.6 JLUR tank is good for 400 miles tops...3.0 JLUR is good for 520+. That % increase applies to whatever you’re carrying in spare tanks too, which is critical for some. Diesel is also a more stable/safe fuel to transport which is also of concern for those of us who carry many gallons of extra fuel around.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
For me at least, it's not a metrics driven decision, I just like the experience of having all that torque.

I used have a hopped-up H-D Fatboy with an aggressive cam. That cam was the one that made the highest bhp (albeit at high revs) and had the greatest measured acceleration. After a few years, at the suggestion of a friend, I put in a torquier cam that made significantly less power, but had a ton of stump-pulling low-end.

Guess which one was more enjoyable to ride, and brought a smile to my face every time I rolled on the throttle? That's why some of us want a diesel.

Sponsored

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
No doubt. How about providing some reasons they are, instead?
This is not as much about convincing us that we are wrong for buying diesel as much as. reassuring yourself that you did it right when you bought gasser. I told you you should have waited few months and got a diesel. Now it will live in your head. Just give it up. You are just annoying everyone.

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Range is the reason I'm looking at the diesel. I don't care about saving money over its lifetime. I want range. Someone always says carry Jerry Cans, get an Aux tank...etc. Yep, I plan on doing all that too with the diesel. Plus, more than likely the AEV fuel caddy. Yes, it is very hard to get somewhere in the continnetal US where that is needed, but I want it. I don't want to "Have to Plan" for fuel stops. I want to be in the backcountry and keep roaming until I run out of PTO and then get fuel on the way home.

Remember, everyone weighs their own personnel Pros and Cons. I just hope this comes out on the JT. That way I'll have all the room for fuel between the frame rails and hopefully still enough room for 20gal of water.

Plus, I'm hoping all the mods will have less impact on mileage than on a petrol.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
This may help answering your question:
They test at high altitude, which is apples to oranges and not representative of what 90% of people would see.

For me I’m going diesel because I’ll be going with 3.5” and 37s I think it will net me the best mileage return over the gas rigs. I get free fuel from work so that offsets that cost a little too. The 2.0 is a beast in stock trim idk how it is on tires. The 3.6 wasn’t geared. It was sluggish and only used 5th gear. Stands to reason, it needed gears. I’m hoping the extra torque of the diesel will make all of that less of an issue all while still netting the best mileage of the 3 and obviously the most torque.
It'll feel better with larger tires for sure. I don't think you'll save fuel. Higher MPG engines are more sensitive to change and lose a larger percentage of their MPG with a load against the engine. The EcoDiesel and the new baby Duramax in the Silverado 1500 lost 65% of their MPG while towing in TFL's testing. Sixty Five Percent. I've never in my life seen a gas engine lose 65% regardless of what I hook to it or which tires I put on it.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It'll feel better with larger tires for sure. I don't think you'll save fuel. Higher MPG engines are more sensitive to change and lose a larger percentage of their MPG with a load against the engine. The EcoDiesel and the new baby Duramax in the Silverado 1500 lost 65% of their MPG while towing in TFL's testing. Sixty Five Percent. I've never in my life seen a gas engine lose 65% regardless of what I hook to it or which tires I put on it.
This is a load and elevation dependent phenomenon. How often are you comparing V6 gas to V6 diesel towing the same load with the same vehicle at elevation...or even at sea level? I can tell you from personal experience and that of many others that apples to apples, diesel loses less under load most of the time. Believe what you want, but low end torque moves loads and diesel has 15% more energy by volume to start with. FWIW, I’ll have a very direct 3.6 to 3.0 JLUR mpg comparison for you in short order...same roads, same loads.
Sponsored