OP

Hawknz8

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon ecoDiesel
If EcoDiesel added $1,000 to $2,000 to the price it would be a no-brainer IMO. But the $4,000 price tag makes it a tough sell. More so when you consider that VM, the Italian manufacturer of the engine, doesn’t have the most stellar quality reputation.

I would have considered the EcoDiesel more seriously if the price was more reasonable, and there hadn’t been so many problems with it.

As it sits, the V6 does everything I ask it to do; and it does it immediately, smoothly and quietly. Also, it appears FCA calibrates the automatic transmission to work at its best with the 3.6 V6.
The desiel has completely different transmission than it's gassy brother.
Sponsored

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
Diesels engines are far superior to gasoline, but I’ll never own another. Biggest reason is that my career was driving one everyday. I hate the smell of diesel and one drop on your clothes and you’ll smell it forever. The worst is getting it on your shoes then transferring to the carpet. Then there’s the never ending CELs we had on every single one. Last 13 years of my career I got a new truck every year and never could I get through a year without loosing my new truck to the shop for CELs.

Before you respond with “I haven’t had any codes pop up!”, give it time..........you will.

OP
OP

Hawknz8

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Diesels engines are far superior to gasoline, but I’ll never own another. Biggest reason is that my career was driving one everyday. I hate the smell of diesel and one drop on your clothes and you’ll smell it forever. The worst is getting it on your shoes then transferring to the carpet. Then there’s the never ending CELs we had on every single one. Last 13 years of my career I got a new truck every year and never could I get through a year without loosing my new truck to the shop for CELs.

Before you respond with “I haven’t had any codes pop up!”, give it time..........you will.
I have had codes pop up, with in the first hundred miles, it was concerning to me: however, nothing since. It's still new and more may come, but whole family can come along with me in this rig where the CJ and YJ wouldn't allow for any more people then the driver and one passenger. The JK didn't have AC in the rear, not a good combination for packaging the family.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
I have had codes pop up, with in the first hundred miles, it was concerning to me: however, nothing since. It's still new and more may come, but whole family can come along with me in this rig where the CJ and YJ wouldn't allow for any more people then the driver and one passenger. The JK didn't have AC in the rear, not a good combination for packaging the family.
I think the JL with any engine option is better than any previous version. It’s really for me more of a dislike for diesel fuel itself and not it’s performance. The troublesome emissions systems can and do get fixed.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
I dunno where folks get the $300 oil change. I’ve been paying a tad over $150 on my Ram with the same engine. Mine has 70k on it and has been absolutely trouble free.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I think that you need to move higher up Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs to understand why many of us are attracted to the diesel.
Right....

:facepalm:

JayD1056

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 1995 Pontiac TransAm, 2019 Mini Cooper
I used to agree with you, but I'm finding the change easier then I imagined.
me too. Helps that i moved from a 10 minute 7 mile commute to a 30 minute 10 miles commute. and in the afternoon it's 45 minutes for 7 miles. When you live in the city and never get over 40 mph why do you want to own a manual to drive in bumper to bumper traffic?

My big reason is the selec-trac, if i'm ever incapable of driving i feel a lot better with my wife being able to pop it into 4HA and just go with it. Usually for us if we ever need 4wd it's on a ski trip with mix of plowed and unplowed roads and i've all ready gotten enough use out of it to justify the cost.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
It's funny how diesel owners love their diesel and spend no time trying to convince gassers their engine choice is somehow wrong. Yet gassers spend a lot of time trying to convince diesel owners their choice is wrong.

RubiTurboD

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon 3.0 Deisel
We drove the 3.6 and 3L turbo, both Rubicon’s. We choose the 3L. That diesel pulls with incredible with torque that doesn’t quit. We love it!

Last edited:

telemark

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Howdy, I am considering getting a Jeep. Never owned a Jeep but the Diesel strikes all my cords and I am from Wyoming so its a no brainer. Saving up now for one. Thinking Sarge Green with tan leather seats and steel bumpers! Probably wont buy one until Summer 2021. By that time the 2022 models should be showing up on the lots!

Sponsored

telemark

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
I forgot to mention the 100k warranty is also a big plus.

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
Love my Ecodiesel Rubicon.
Costs? I wanted an automatic anyway and just didn’t order the blind spot detection, trailer towing or interactive cruise and almost covered the cost.
Torque. This thing is within 28 lb/ft of the 392 and is smooth as silk. Consistent 28 mpg on 35’s with stock 3.73’s.
Oil change. Yes, it’s pricey but the first three are “free” and they are every 10k miles so...
Not trying to convince anyone diesel is the way to go but I have zero regrets so far.
Just my .02

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Costs? I wanted an automatic anyway
This is a great point. The vast majority of us (90%?) order our Wranglers with an automatic, yet the cost of the diesel is always pegged at $6K extra. The financial analyst in me always wants to shout that the auto is not an incremental cost of the diesel for most of us.

OP
OP

Hawknz8

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Costs? I wanted an automatic anyway and just didn’t order the blind spot detection, trailer towing or interactive cruise and almost covered the cost.
Torque. This thing is within 28 lb/ft of the 392 and is smooth as silk. Consistent 28 mpg on 35’s with stock 3.73’s.
Oil change. Yes, it’s pricey but the first three are “free” and they are every 10k miles so...
Not trying to convince anyone diesel is the way to go but I have zero regrets so far.
Just my .02
The funny thing for me with my EcoDesiel is that I have never got anything close to the 29 hwy mileage. It is so much fun to drop my foot on the throtle I gave up on trying to get the mileage on the window sticker. I was careful on a long drive once and got 27-28 once just to see if it was possible, that was enough. The roof rack goes on this weekend, I’ll never get that once I do that addition.

telemark

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
I’ve seen some fully maxed out diesel rubicon’s under 60k at the dealers. One dealer was 5k off asking price. So the price for the diesel and tranny is not really a concern if you get the right discount.
Sponsored