EcoDesiel Thoughts

Hawknz8

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon ecoDiesel
I have seen many conversations asking if the EcoDesiel engine was worth the extra cost. My thought is absolutly yes and it has nothing to do with fuel economy. This is so much fun to drive then the the old 4.0 Liter six in my first Jeep, as well as more fun then the 3.6 in my 2017 Wrangler. The get up and go is so much better off the line in town and it sounds awesome. Driving down the freeway it pulls so much better, it doesn’t have to down shift just to go up a simple incline. There has been belly aching that it only comes with an automatic, that seems to be an unqualified statement too. The automatic in manual mode provided great control on the trail; up hill and especially down hill. In four low on the trail and manually selecting the gear I wanted left me wondering why all the hype around manual. I’ll never want another stick if I can have an automatic work like this one. The torque provided so much more control then the other two power plants that I have had experiance with, the control down hill was so astonishing I was just shocked. If you want to enjoy your Jeep go with the EcoDesiel. Worth exactly what I paid for it, I’d hate to think they could charge more.

Those who have driven the trail in the EcoDesiel what are your thoughts, has it been worth it?
Sponsored

Wixo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlurd
100% accurate on that. The extra money you pay is worth it for the smile.
The bonus is the fuel mileage. Bought it for my wife’s 40th a few weeks back and she said it is her favorite vehicle she has ever owned. She had a 13 jkur before. This thing just goes.

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Glad you are enjoying your diesel. I test drove one and it was nice to drive with the extra low end torque but a bit of lag off the line, but after getting back into my 3.6 didn't feel like I was lacking in anything as 0-60 is about the same, 3.6 may be a 10th or 2 quicker which is fine for my driving. I think the operating cost is a factor to be considered, in my area diesel fuel is more than premium fuel about .65 cent per gallon more then regular, and the $300 oil changes plus cost for DEF fluid has to be factored too. So IMHO, if you have a need for the diesel's towing torque or long distance fuel mileage its a great buy, but the 2.0 and 3.6 are still great choices to consider. My 2018 JLUR is paid for and coming up on year 3 in the spring so I may look at buying another rubicon, it will be a tough choice on which engine I would select, only one I would rule out would be the V8. Enjoy your ride, life is to short to dwell on what could have been...

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Megacab
Love mine too. Not my daily driver. This is my toy lol. Wife and I do our galavanting on The Weekends in it.

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
When I first drove mine on a demo, it surprised me by the train like pull just by adding throttle with no downshifting. I was sold as soon as we got back. Probably not a good thing, cause I think the salesman could smell the kill. Anyway, I took it from the showroom to Birds of Prey Canyon in Idaho with 106 on the clock. Loved playing around on the inclines and trails there. Had over 250 miles on it when we got back to Mountain Home. The torque is worth every penny.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I have seen many conversations asking if the EcoDesiel engine was worth the extra cost. My thought is absolutely yes and it has nothing to do with fuel economy.
Truer words have not been spoken. The non-Ecodiesel members seem to fixate on the payback. The payback is realized the first time you roll on the throttle. Oh...and it gets great fuel mileage too.

ctJLnewbie

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 Audi TT '10 Audi S5 '12 BMW X5d '17 Ibis RipleyLS '18 Wrangler JL
We have a diesel BMW and I see a lot of similarities in the reasons to love the Jeep diesel. I'll share the single biggest downside to the diesel: mis-fueling. Yes our BMW has the thing that's supposed to make it impossible to put gas in, and the dealer has checked it and said "oh it's working as designed", but despite that, it's been filled with gas twice.

If you have the bad luck/lack of attention/other drivers in the house, the bill ranges from $1,500 to $25k to fix depending on what you do after you fill it.

At a minimum they have to pump out the tank, then if you didn't start the truck, they can flush the lines and you're cool.

If you started the engine, they will need to replace at least one fuel pump.

If you run it until the gas gets to the HP fuel pumps and the engine buck/stalls, they you have to replace all of the fuel pumps, the HP fuel pumps, the exhaust emissions parts that inject the urea, maybe a catalytic converter, and maybe rebuild the engine (the fuel pumps grenade themselves and metal bits flow into the cylinder because diesel is a lubricant while gas is a solvent so parts don't do well).

Point is - if you pick up the diesel, be hyper mental about who puts fuel into it, and you'll probably love it.

Wixo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlurd
We have a diesel BMW and I see a lot of similarities in the reasons to love the Jeep diesel. I'll share the single biggest downside to the diesel: mis-fueling. Yes our BMW has the thing that's supposed to make it impossible to put gas in, and the dealer has checked it and said "oh it's working as designed", but despite that, it's been filled with gas twice.

If you have the bad luck/lack of attention/other drivers in the house, the bill ranges from $1,500 to $25k to fix depending on what you do after you fill it.

At a minimum they have to pump out the tank, then if you didn't start the truck, they can flush the lines and you're cool.

If you started the engine, they will need to replace at least one fuel pump.

If you run it until the gas gets to the HP fuel pumps and the engine buck/stalls, they you have to replace all of the fuel pumps, the HP fuel pumps, the exhaust emissions parts that inject the urea, maybe a catalytic converter, and maybe rebuild the engine (the fuel pumps grenade themselves and metal bits flow into the cylinder because diesel is a lubricant while gas is a solvent so parts don't do well).

Point is - if you pick up the diesel, be hyper mental about who puts fuel into it, and you'll probably love it.
yeah that happened to my boss on his f-250. He just bought it and never owned a diesel. Caught it before he started it but it was on empty so that was a lot of gas in the tank. His father in law owned a shop that works on diesels only so it didn’t cost him much.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If EcoDiesel added $1,000 to $2,000 to the price it would be a no-brainer IMO. But the $4,000 price tag makes it a tough sell. More so when you consider that VM, the Italian manufacturer of the engine, doesn’t have the most stellar quality reputation.

I would have considered the EcoDiesel more seriously if the price was more reasonable, and there hadn’t been so many problems with it.

As it sits, the V6 does everything I ask it to do; and it does it immediately, smoothly and quietly. Also, it appears FCA calibrates the automatic transmission to work at its best with the 3.6 V6.

gnome

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
.... 1994 base YJ .......... 2006 Dakota ..... ..... 2020 Sahara 3.0D
Occupation
retired IBEW electrician
The driving experience of all that low speed torque is worth every extra penny for the diesel.... If you are just looking for an economically logical purchase, go buy a pickup truck.... You buy a Mercedes over a Chevy for the driving experience, they will both get you there at the same time (the speed limit is the same for everybody) , one is just more fun than the other..... the same with the diesel..... more smiles per mile is not necessarily a rational decision..... I am willing to pay "extra" just for the fun factor.... and in 4L, it is priceless.

Sponsored

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Truer words have not been spoken. The non-Ecodiesel members seem to fixate on the payback. The payback is realized the first time you roll on the throttle. Oh...and it gets great fuel mileage too.
Still an automatic, though.

I only own vehicles with clutch pedals.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Value is part of the equation of every purchase, as is the quality of the product or service we get in return.

In this case, whether the EcoDiesel is worth $4,000 extra is a key part of the value equation, as is whether that price justifies EcoDiesel's quality.

This is where opinions diverge widely.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
You can pry the manual transmission from my cold, dead right hand... I just don’t give a damn how good the automatic is. I really don’t.

Also, I refuse to own a 4-door jeep. So there’s that.

The Sahara, MOAB, High Altitude, 4Xe, diesel, and 392 just aren’t on my radar because IDGAF about four door jeeps.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Value is part of the equation of every purchase, as is the quality of the product or service we get in return.

In this case, whether the EcoDiesel is worth $4,000 extra is a key part of the value equation, as is whether that price justifies EcoDiesel's quality.

This is where opinions diverge widely.
I think that you need to move higher up Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs to understand why many of us are attracted to the diesel.