Early JL owners (18-19), a question please about your rigs reliability so far

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
It failed a block test. They believe I have a cracked, warped or blown head gasket because I kept getting misfires on cylinders and exhaust gasses are escaping into my coolant system. They said they have changed a few 3.6s as of late due to head problems.
At that high of mileage, it’s almost certain that there was a prior overheating problem that went undiagnosed.
Sponsored

OP
OP
LuvHydro

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
Or maybe look at it this way… the warranty should last at least as long as you’re making payments on it. If you’ll have it paid off in three years, then the 3/36 warranty may be okay. If you financed to 60 months then I would spring for the extended warranty.
It already has. I saved up and paid cash the day I picked it up. I abhor vehicle payments.

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Mine is 2018 and the only issues I've had are the recall ones. Oh and every month or so, my stereo decides to reboot itself. I did purchase an extended warranty from my CU and I only had to use it once and that was b/c the dealership I took mine to to replace the windshield washer reservoir damaged a line that was causing arcs under the hood - and tried to claim they didn't do it (whatever) sigh! But other than that, no issues!
I was having a problem with my radio rebooting and finally tracked it down to the USB drive I was using for MP3s that had some bad sectors.

Rubicon_Wrangler_JL_2018

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rwaltonphotography.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Business Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
I was having a problem with my radio rebooting and finally tracked it down to the USB drive I was using for MP3s that had some bad sectors.
I only plug my phone into it, so it just does that randomly for whatever reason.

Sponsored

Xspurt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Juliet Lima
Zeigler also has a Ford store that sells the actual Ford one for a great price but the wording "factory backed" has me a little concerned. Is it a 3rd party providing it? "Factory backed" is somewhat comforting but I'm still not sure if that means it's FCA (Stellantis, whateveritisthisweek, etc.) or not. I'd still be leery of a 3rd party, backed or not. I would read the fine print (which I'm sure is awful but probably eye-opening too).

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
My wifes 18 Sahara was Aug 18 build , has 27K miles and onlyh thing I had them do under warranty was the steering box. Have the lifetime maxcare on that one. On my 20 Rubicon, Aug 19 build, same thing. Have a 8 yr maxcare becasue I could get the lifetime one. Only have 10K miles on it.

Only got the plans because of all the electronics on these things. I assume the power train should go the distance if maintained.

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have a 2018 JLUR with 57k I also have the lifetime maxcare warranty

The infotainment screen started to peel the warranty covered a new one.

They noticed build up on the radiator and the warranty covered a new radiator

I recently had a oil leak they fixed it under the powertrain warranty but said they noticed supposedly automatic transmission fuild started to leak too and they fixed it under warranty

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
Early 2020 - 26K miles - 3.6 eTorque

Here's all the issues I have:
  • Sun visor broke.
That's it so far.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Here's the thing with extended warrantees.

The price of extended warrantees are very carefully calculated so that statistically, the warrantee issuer ends up slightly ahead. While you will find many accounts of extended warrantees saving people money, if you look at all the numbers you'll find more where it didn't save them money. So here is the question to ask yourself to answer whether you should get an extended warrantee or not.

Can you financially manage a surprise repair bill for the cost of the extended warrantee?

If you can (you don't have to like it, just be able to handle it), then you are statistically likely to save money by not getting the extended warranty.
If that repair bill would be a hardship, then it is worth it to get the extended warrantee. That will spread that cost out over time and make it predictable, which will be of value to you even though you are statistically likely to pay more in the long run.

Sponsored

Black Rubi JL

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Purchased my JLUR in May, 2018, it now has 90,300 miles on it, both batteries went out last October and I replaced the radiator recently (June). Outside of that (plus numerous windshields), just normal maintenance. Use the EW money for a nice lift kit, wheels, & tires.

MidwestJeeper

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Sarge JLU Willys 2.0T
Occupation
Engineer
2019 with 92,000 miles. I paid about $1,800 for the EW and just to replace the SOT was almost $6,000. I had several other repairs, totaling maybe $2,500, but nothing too serious.

2020 with 40,000 miles. Nothing

2021 with 25,000 miles. Nothing.
Can you please indicate what engine-transmission combos you have had in your '19, '20 and '21?

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm one of the earliest 2018s but only have 15-16k miles so not much mileage to really break things most likely.

So far I've only been to the dealer once and that was to fix one of my wheel speed sensors that caused all sorts of CELs and disabled most of my electric driving systems (trac, 4wd, abs, etc). That was covered under my Lifetime (999k miles) maxcare warranty that I paid around $3-3.5k for, I forget. They had to resolder part of my wiring harness so it doens't seem like a fix I could've done myself or had a Jeep shop fix but maybe I'm wrong.

This was my first FIAT/Chrysler/Stellantis/whatever vehicle and I've had so many friends with Grand Cherokees have them blow up in expensive ways once they put some mileage on them that I was happy to pay for the maxcare. I'll be keeping my jeep as long as I can so I'm sure it'll eventually pay for itself.

That dealer trip I mentioned was around $650-700 but I only had to pay the $100 deposit.

edit: With that said, my batteries are currently going out so I'll be Genesis'ing most likely in a few weeks. I guess 5ish years is fair for them and I have a feeling they've been failing for about a year, I just never put 2+2 together with some gremilns I've had.

slowcrawlerZJ

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1982 CJ7, 2018 WK
Occupation
Retired Navy
At that high of mileage, it’s almost certain that there was a prior overheating problem that went undiagnosed.
Very well could have been. I bought it used from the dealership last year with 45k on it. Never know how someone else treated it before me.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Get the extended warranty if you’re gonna buy the soon to be discontinued Diesel or the French turbo.
Sponsored