Sponsored

18’/19’ Model Years thoughts on Investigation?

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
02C006C2-FB0F-4EF3-9F32-D94EA70DB07A.jpeg

Photo Credit: Fox News

While I know it’s a taboo subject for us 18’ & 19’ owners I have to ask: Has it been on your mind?

So, we all know about the NHTSA investigation on the 18’ & 19’ Wrangler’s wobbly steering and frame weld quality (article here & here), but, has anyone thought about how this could affect the residuals way down the line?

My take, and I do hope I’m wrong, is that regardless of the outcome of the investigations, the damage has already been done.

The word has spread throughout the Jeep communities and the world for that matter having been in the news and still on going.

I have buddies of mine TJ/JK owners asking me about it and it’s slightly annoying.

My frame welds have been checked and they did check out okay supposedly by FCA.

But a part of me again says the damage has already been done to us 18’ & 19’ owners if we did end up wanting to private party it down the line. I’ve already heard people mention not wanting the JL in general over just the frame weld issues.

What are your thoughts regardless of your plans?

How do you think the investigation will go?

Will the 18’s & 19’s be THOSE years that people say: The JL is nice but don’t get an 18’ or 19’ model year, they had the steering & frame issues.

In the end I consider my rig to be a great one, super solid and I’ll own it for a very long time regardless but I don’t think us 18’s & 19’s without issues will get a fair shake.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

While I know it’s a taboo subject for us 18’ & 19’ owners I have to ask has it been on your mind?

So, we all know about the NHTSA investigation on the 18’ & 19’ Wrangler’s wobbly steering and frame weld quality (article here & here), but, has anyone thought about how this could affect the residuals way down the line?

My take, and I do hope I’m wrong, is that regardless of the outcome of the investigations, the damage has already been done.

The word has spread throughout the Jeep communities and the world for that matter having been in the news and still on going.

I have buddies of mine TJ/JK owners asking me about it and it’s slightly annoying.

But a part of me again says the damage has already been done to us 18’ & 19’ owners if we did end up wanting to private party it down the line. I’ve already heard people mention not wanting the JL in general over just the frame weld issues.

Will the 18’s & 19’s be THOSE years that people say: The JL is nice but don’t get an 18’ or 19’ model year, they had the steering & frame issues.
I think time will tell, it’s hard to predict how people are going to react these days. I haven’t heard of anyone turning their Jeep back in or selling it because of these issues, although I imagine it’s happened somewhere.

But all the people I’ve heard about that had these issues either got them resolved or are in the process of getting it resolved.

But for me personally, I’m a live in the moment, day by day guy, I have to be for my sobriety, so I can’t look far enough into the future to worry about it. When it happens then I’ll deal with it I guess. But until then, I’m enjoying the hell out of my 2018 jlur .......:)

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Except for the frame issues on a relatively small number of early JLs it doesn’t seem like anything else has changed.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

Welds checked out fine on my '18 and it steers like a Wrangler. My plans are to drive it until it quits. The steering investigation is OK by me; what's the worse case scenario? They identify a flaw and issue a recall on some steering component for affected owners? No biggie. Welds are a non-issue. Those affected were fixed or bought back. People whining about ugly slag are just looking for something to bitch about, IMO.

:jk:

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Morton, I'm fairly sure I have quite a few years on you. But, with those years comes the knowledge that tells me, "Hey, don't worry about that carp." I'm going to enjoy my JL, and down the line if I decide to trade or sell I'll deal with the details then. Life's just to short to drive a Honda. :)

Sponsored

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
Most people who buy suvs/trucks/cars aren't people who hang out on forums for those vehicles. People still buy used Focus/Fiestas with PowerShift transmissions, older MINIs with CVT transmissions, etc. If it looks nice someone will want it and maybe learn after the fact. I'm a Jeep enthusiast but my '20 JLUR was a bit a of spur-of-the-moment decision and I had no clue there was this list of issues before I threw my $50K+ at it. I had 7 Jeeps before this one, they were all great, so I assumed this one would be too. Now I'm on a forum for it and am learning about this stuff. So far so good.

OP
OP
TrailTorque

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Again, just trying to foster an open discussion. I own an 18’ and love it and I believe I’ve made it abundantly clear on this forum over time I plan on keeping for a long time. Just a tad annoyed that’s all and would like to hear views of others on the topic. So far so good!

I think even the 2020’s have reported steering issues. Hell all wranglers do haha

The frame issue is what grinds my gears a tad. It’s really something I hope they get resolved.

The investigation on the “frame issues” from what I gather has stemmed from several owner’s complaints on slag and splash.

Unrelated to the trackbar weld issue that was resolved btw.

I think that’s what gets me. I don’t think excessive slag or splash could really damage the integrity of the frame so why complain?

Maybe someone could answer that for us here that’s knowledgeable on the subject of welding?

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
Again, just trying to foster an open discussion. I own an 18’ and love it and I believe I’ve made it abundantly clear on this forum over time I plan on keeping for a long time. Just a tad annoyed that’s all and would like to hear views of others on the topic. So far so good!

I think even the 2020’s have reported steering issues. Hell all wranglers do haha

The frame issue is what grinds my gears a tad. It’s really something I hope they get resolved.

The investigation on the “frame issues” from what I gather has stemmed from several owner’s complaints on slag and splash.

Unrelated to the trackbar weld issue that was resolved btw.

I think that’s what gets me. I don’t think excessive slag or splash could really damage the integrity of the frame so why complain?

Maybe someone could answer that for us here that’s knowledgeable on the subject of welding?
I got lucky with the steering on mine. My '12 JK was also good. Also, my '97 and '98 TJs were solid in the steering category. Though, I hope my luck holds out on the JL, based on my experience, I would have to say I never thought Wranglers had steering issues. They have all gone in the direction I pointed them and I didn't have to pay any special attention, continuously work the wheel, etc. like a lot of people are describing. I have always driven them with one hand and a beverage in the other and never spilled anything. As for the frames, as long as we don't end up with 4th gen Toyota 4Runner frames we should be ok. LOL

OP
OP
TrailTorque

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I got lucky with the steering on mine. My '12 JK was also good. Also, my '97 and '98 TJs were solid in the steering category. Though, I hope my luck holds out on the JL, based on my experience, I would have to say I never thought Wranglers had steering issues. They have all gone in the direction I pointed them and I didn't have to pay any special attention, continuously work the wheel, etc. like a lot of people are describing. I have always driven them with one hand and a beverage in the other and never spilled anything. As for the frames, as long as we don't end up with 4th gen Toyota 4Runner frames we should be ok. LOL
I think your luck will hold out just fine haha

Ah the old 4th gen 4Runner frames lol

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
If so '20 will be THAT year for the mild hybrid stuff on the 3.6

And I still wonder if the 2.0 will be the new 2.8V6 that came in the YJ's...er I think it was the YJ's, right??

edit: NO XJ's!!!

Sponsored

MYAMIA

First Name
MyA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara JL 2018

While I know it’s a taboo subject for us 18’ & 19’ owners I have to ask: Has it been on your mind?

In the end I consider my rig to be a great one, super solid and I’ll own it for a very long time regardless but I don’t think us 18’s & 19’s without issues will get a fair shake.
I am tired of my woobling steering. After a year and some visits to the dealer, still the same. Have consider selling it. Though I dont want to loose money, since I still have 5 more years to pay it.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I'd much rather have fixed-part issues than mechanical issues with moving parts.

"Frame" issues don't worry me much, I can grind off paint and make bright light.

Something like internal engine or transmission issues are what really make vehicles "avoiders"....but even then people still want the JK with the 3.8

Hell GM managed to have steering boxes ripping of the frame for let's see...
87 minus 73 is 14 ....
.....so 14+ model years (technically thru '91 on several models) and square bodies are still some of the most popular trucks out there because the fix is easy.

Ford managed to design spark plugs with too few threads that wouldn't stay in and THEN went to the other extreme with too many threads that wouldn't come out and yet I still see a zillion modular motors on the road everyday.

But yeah I've never really cared if what I do would make the next prospective owner want my vehicle or not.

VXSKAXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S
2018 JL’s have already deprecated $11k to $13k depending on mileage. Most people are going to be in complete shock when they try to trade in on something else in 3-4 years. But this is also one of the main reasons you never buy a first year new production vehicle.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I have steering issues like man this turns hard with the lockers on and man this turns hard with 37s aired down to 5 psi when stopped on a dry surface like asphalt. .

I have a 19 JLUR with almost 16,000 miles. It is not a daily driver for the most part. Most of those miles are for doing Jeep related off road traveling. Trails and driving to places to off road. I have had zero issues. They did the steering dampener recall on the JLUR, but I did not have any issues with the old one. No wandering, no wobble.
Sponsored