Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Sting Grey; 2021 JLR Gecko
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
EDIT to mention both jeeps have EW.

In my '19, I have had the axle replaced due to the sensor failure, rear-main seal replaced from leaking oil, both sun visors broken (fixed myself), and hinge paint repair on the hood. I got the EW and glad for it. In my wifes '21, shes is currently waiting on a sensor for her rear axle. Getting the EW was a condition we required when shopping for her '21 haha we had to budget that from the beginning. We love the jeeps but the quality leaves something to be desired.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Get the EW. Peace of mind if your clocking 22k a year and wheel it. Quality Control at manufacturers have gone down hill. My 2019 JLUR is sitting at the dealership as we speak having to have the engine replaced because of the drivers side head. It only has 52k on the ticker. Yes it’s covered by the 5 year 60k drivetrain but the fact it died at 52k does not give me hope that something else will not go out and parts/labor these days are astronomical. My service manager said they are seeing more engine changes as of late due to bad heads.
What do you mean by a bad head, what failed?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
It should probably be noted that this forum in particular is OBSESSED with warranties. It will be skewed in one direction.

I can tell you two things for a fact.
1. The majority of factory warranty claims are battery related.
2. If the EW companies were losing money, they wouldn’t exist.

slowcrawlerZJ

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1982 CJ7, 2018 WK
Occupation
Retired Navy
It failed a block test. They believe I have a cracked, warped or blown head gasket because I kept getting misfires on cylinders and exhaust gasses are escaping into my coolant system. They said they have changed a few 3.6s as of late due to head problems.

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
It should probably be noted that this forum in particular is OBSESSED with warranties. It will be skewed in one direction.

I can tell you two things for a fact.
1. The majority of factory warranty claims are battery related.
2. If the EW companies were losing money, they wouldn’t exist.

I am not part of that statistic. Wrench time is my therapy. A couple years back my dad helped me jerk the motor out of our Audi for timing chains. . . . . on the back side of the engine.

Jeep Wrangler JL Early JL owners (18-19), a question please about your rigs reliability so far Chains

Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Due to basically what everyone above said and the cost of of every thing constantly going up I would get the ew. I have 14749 miles on mine and the dealer just had to order the Locker sensor for the rear. I’ve had one radio replaced (the 8.4). So far not to bad but never had problems with my other Jeeps.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Or maybe look at it this way… the warranty should last at least as long as you’re making payments on it. If you’ll have it paid off in three years, then the 3/36 warranty may be okay. If you financed to 60 months then I would spring for the extended warranty.

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
Or maybe look at it this way… the warranty should last at least as long as you’re making payments on it. If you’ll have it paid off in three years, then the 3/36 warranty may be okay. If you financed to 60 months then I would spring for the extended warranty.
Or lifetime warranty for original owner

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
I've never purchased an extended warranty. This '22 Jeep scares me tho, reliability wise. I put on about 22K miles a year, on average.

I have 4K more until 12K miles. If I buy an EW I want to do it before the price goes up. I have 3K set aside to either buy or bank.

Right now I'm reluctantly leaning towards banking it and taking my chances.

Any real life experiences with costly issues would be appreciated.

Well consider this: the insurance companies trying to sell you extended warranties have armed themselves with actuaries and data to make their decisions about how to price their offering and make good money by doing so. You are arming yourself with some anecdotes from a handful of owners replying to a open ended question that you posted on an Internet forum. There’s lots of great accurate information that you can get on this forum that can save you some hard earned cash. But you will probably get more peace of mind than actual financial value when it comes to a question like this.

Pun intended; your mileage may vary.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I've had 3 Jeeps in the '18 - '19 category, all had the 2.0L Turbo. 2 were Saharas and 1 Rubicon. I also put about 22k+ on per year. So far the only "major" issue I've had is with batteries, all of which were replaced under factory warranty. (Geico paid to have my Jeep towed one time for battery replacement.)

My current '19 JLUR has around 44k on it and I've had to replace just the main battery (should have replaced both but forgot to tell dealer).

I have a 5 year, 125,000 mile Carshield Platinum warranty on mine.

Sponsored

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
2019 with 92,000 miles. I paid about $1,800 for the EW and just to replace the SOT was almost $6,000. I had several other repairs, totaling maybe $2,500, but nothing too serious.

2020 with 40,000 miles. Nothing

2021 with 25,000 miles. Nothing.

tobyw

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU-R
My buddy and I bought our 2018 JLU-R's about a month apart from each other in the spring of 2018. We ran the Rubicon together a few weeks later, still sporting dealer plates, both using spacer lifts and 37" tires:

Jeep Wrangler JL Early JL owners (18-19), a question please about your rigs reliability so far IMG_0834.JPG

Since then we have run trails together in nearly every Western state, and he's now got over 100,000 trouble free miles on his including a significant number of miles towing a couple of different camp trailers. Mine is just over 16,500 miles now but leads a very different life, being a dedicated wheeler/play toy as opposed to his daily driver.

Regardless, both have been used pretty hard all things considered, but have been stone reliable.

Xspurt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Juliet Lima
I saw a couple of people talking about insurance companies and other words to the effect of a 3rd party providing the warranty. Is there an extended warranty that is provided by Jeep itself and NOT a 3rd party? There's no way I'd buy a 3rd party one.

Rubicon_Wrangler_JL_2018

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rwaltonphotography.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Business Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is 2018 and the only issues I've had are the recall ones. Oh and every month or so, my stereo decides to reboot itself. I did purchase an extended warranty from my CU and I only had to use it once and that was b/c the dealership I took mine to to replace the windshield washer reservoir damaged a line that was causing arcs under the hood - and tried to claim they didn't do it (whatever) sigh! But other than that, no issues!

kurt13

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red JLU Rubi/4Runner
2018 JLUR 3.6. My ESS stopped working after about 9 months. I think it was because the battery wasn't 100%. Just after 3 years the battery quit altogether- for two days prior it would start but struggle. I knew something was up, but finally I had to jump it to get going. Replaced both batteries and ESS started working like a champ again. I've had constant problems with the radio and I'm on my third one. My rear axle lock light kept coming on intermittently until they finally fixed it after 3 years but covered it under warranty when I showed them photos that it had been happening for years. The only other problem I've had is relatively new- on rare occasions the center display is blank or freezes on the startup animation. Hasn't happened often enough to take it in now that the warranty is up.

Those have been my only problems since delivery in Feb 2019.
Sponsored