Sponsored

Early JL owners (18-19), a question please about your rigs reliability so far

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
I've never purchased an extended warranty. This '22 Jeep scares me tho, reliability wise. I put on about 22K miles a year, on average.

I have 4K more until 12K miles. If I buy an EW I want to do it before the price goes up. I have 3K set aside to either buy or bank.

Right now I'm reluctantly leaning towards banking it and taking my chances.

Any real life experiences with costly issues would be appreciated.
Sponsored

WranglerAz

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2019 JLR, 2000 TJ
On my 2018 I have replaced both batteries with a Genesis. Other than normal maintenance, no repairs. My wifes 2019 had the axle assembly replaced because the locker sensor went bad. we have skipped the EW on both.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Extended warranty wonā€™t cover batteries, so donā€™t worry about that.

The only problem I have had on my ā€˜18 was a radiator replacement earlier this year that would have cost about 500 at the dealership.

The only way extended warranties pay off is if you have a major mechanical failure of the transfer case, transmission, or engine. The odds are extremely low.

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Extended warranty wonā€™t cover batteries, so donā€™t worry about that.

The only problem I have had on my ā€˜18 was a radiator replacement earlier this year that would have cost about 500 at the dealership.

The only way extended warranties pay off is if you have a major mechanical failure of the transfer case, transmission, or engine. The odds are extremely low.
And if the engine goes, you can always drop in a hemi!!

Thatā€™s my game plan if my 2.0T kicks the bucket on me. 6 months of ownership and 14k on the odometer and no issues so far!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
And if the engine goes, you can always drop in a hemi!!

Thatā€™s my game plan if my 2.0T kicks the bucket on me. 6 months of ownership and 14k on the odometer and no issues so far!
Thatā€™s extremely low mileage and one should not expect any problems at that point. The long term reliability of the 2.0 can only be speculated about at this point.

Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
2019 3.6 Auto JLUR. Replaced the batteries at 36mo/38,000miles. I'm at 40,000 miles now. I'll need tires and brakes soon. Other than that, I had to reset the radio a few times.

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Thatā€™s extremely low mileage and one should not expect any problems at that point. The long term reliability of the 2.0 can only be speculated about at this point.
Oh Iā€™m aware itā€™s low mileage, but I feel itā€™s a lot for 6 months.

My point was I would risk it for the biscuit with no extended warranty and the intention of a hemi swap if something goes horribly wrong.

Now that I secretly, or not so secretly, hope I have an excuse to tackle a project like that, I will likely be trouble free!

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
Haven't heard of any transmission, or transfer case issues, so I wouldn't worry much about those.

But you do hear of engine failures, and this would concern me if you're thinking of keeping it past the 5 year/100,000 drive train period.

I'm not sure how much a new engine goes for, but I would guess it would be somewhere in the $15K range.

I look at it like this. If you can afford a $15K hit to your pocket book without it causing financial strain, then I would roll the dice without the warranty.

However, if an expense like this would put your life in turmoil, or the thought makes you sick, then I would good ahead with the extended warranty.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Haven't heard of any transmission, or transfer case issues, so I wouldn't worry much about those.

But you do hear of engine failures, and this would concern me if you're thinking of keeping it past the 5 year/100,000 drive train period.

I'm not sure how much a new engine goes for, but I would guess it would be somewhere in the $15K range.

I look at it like this. If you can afford a $15K hit to your pocket book without it causing financial strain, then I would roll the dice without the warranty.

However, if an expense like this would put your life in turmoil, or the thought makes you sick, then I would good ahead with the extended warranty.
9-10k for a new 3.6, we do them all the time. So long as takeoff JL engines are available from places that do engine swaps, they can be replaced for about 4-5k. Not bad. Also, exceedingly rare.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Update - Main battery failed (without warning) at almost 5 years. A little warning from the AGM battery would have been nice. My old cars with traditional lead acid batteries would always crank slowly or struggle start when the battery needed to be replaced.

----------------

Purchased my 2019 Jeep (2.0L/Auto) in Dec 2018. Nothing but routine maintenance and a steering TSB.

Last edited:

Sponsored

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
9-10k for a new 3.6, we do them all the time. So long as takeoff JL engines are available from places that do engine swaps, they can be replaced for about 4-5k. Not bad. Also, exceedingly rare.
Does that include labor?

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
2019 JLUR 6-speed 24,000 miles: Just recalls and a radio replacement under warranty to fix navigation. I bought the extended warranty. Hoping this is the first Jeep I wonā€™t have to wrench on.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
Mine was the first to be privately delivered in my state. 2017 build year, 2018 MY. Currently 48,000 miles, with routine scheduled maintenance. So far no major issues. The beginnings of an oil leak, but has yet to start dripping or loosing oil. Coolant seems to be magically disappearing. First quart was added a few months ago, and now is about a 1/2 quart low by the fill line on the bottle. No found leaks, not in the oil, no steam or smell in the exhaustā€¦.no idea where itā€™s going, but Iā€™m not worried about it if itā€™s going to be a 1 quart a year fill.

Random electrical gremlins over the years, all have self resolved, nothing major. All software based. The current issue is the TPMS not updating wheel position after a rotation. First time itā€™s ever done that, not sure why.

Aux battery is on its way out, stop/ start functions fine in hot weather, but in the cold I get a constant ā€œbattery chargingā€ message.

Steering has vagueness on center, but thatā€™s ā€˜normalā€™ for early models. It hasnā€™t gotten any worse than when it was new. Now that the Jeep is getting the parts cannon, it will get a sector shaft brace to try and help it. I did not have the TSB done. Suspension is becoming less and less Jeep. Started with a Mopar lift, and am adding more and more more Metalcloak parts on top of it. The more work that gets done, the better it rides, drives, and wheels.

This is a long term project. Itā€™s a daily driver now, and will be with the current axles and 35ā€™s coming, but as I get a new dedicated daily it will wind up with D60ā€™s and 40ā€™s. Dedicated trail rig years down the road. Iā€™ll be wrenching on it until itā€™s totaled or the frame rots out.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
I used to be adamantly opposed to extended warranties, mostly on general principle. The older I get, the more willing I am to trade some money for peace of mind. I'd get the warranty and start enjoying your Jeep.

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
2019 w/ 52k miles.

only issue was last week with windshield washer clog, easily fixed.

IMO, the JL is a solid rig
Sponsored