Dynatrac vs Dana Ball Joints?

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Think I am going to replace the ball joints this week. Jeep is starting to wander a bit much for my liking, even more than "normal". More noticeable with the 37's on. Just to point out, I do not believe the wander is coming from the steering box gear. There is no dead spot in my steering, the tires turn the exact time the steering wheel moves. Had an alignment done last week and everything is perfect where I want it.

Are the Dynatrac's worth the extra money over the Dana ball joints? They are approx $200 more for the set of 4. I have heard Dynatrac is very tight and causes the Jeep to "dart" around. Can anyone expand upon this, does this correct as they break in? One other thing, the Jeep only has 23k miles on it, even with large tires one would think ball joints should last longer than that...but who knows.

TIA!
Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
My ball joints are shot really bad at 21k miles, I have a new set of Dynatrac axles on order so i'll live with it until I get them. The Dynatrac ball joints are rebuildable, I've never seen anything about them being tight or causing "darting" but that's just my experience. I for one am happy that they will come pre installed on my front axle.

OP
OP
Jeep’n Jay

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
My ball joints are shot really bad at 21k miles, I have a new set of Dynatrac axles on order so i'll live with it until I get them. The Dynatrac ball joints are rebuildable, I've never seen anything about them being tight or causing "darting" but that's just my experience. I for one am happy that they will come pre installed on my front axle.
do your ball joints have any noticeable play in them? Did you put it up on jackstands and check it with the prybar method

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
do your ball joints have any noticeable play in them? Did you put it up on jackstands and check it with the prybar method
My ball joints are so bad my passenger wheel has a noticeable lean to it. I also have increasing wander where I had perfect steering up to about 2 or 3K miles ago. I haven't bothered with the prybar check, not wasting time or money on the factory garbage as these axles will go to scrap once I get the axles I ordered.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve got the Dana HD ball joints. The stock joints were pretty much shot after 25k miles, with half of that being on 37’s.

I would’ve went with the Dynatrac’s, but they were outside my budget at the time. I did a bunch of other things (rear track bar, more lift, new shocks, front drive shaft, etc.) which forced me to compromise on the ball joints.

I have no doubt the Dynatrac ball joints are better. But for the price, I’m good with the Dana HD’s. Whenever they do wear out, I’ll replace them with Dynatrac. The big unknown is how long the Dana’s will last and if their longevity is worth the lower price point.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep’n Jay

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I’ve got the Dana HD ball joints. The stock joints were pretty much shot after 25k miles, with half of that being on 37’s.

I would’ve went with the Dynatrac’s, but they were outside my budget at the time. I did a bunch of other things (rear track bar, more lift, new shocks, front drive shaft, etc.) which forced me to compromise on the ball joints.

I have no doubt the Dynatrac ball joints are better. But for the price, I’m good with the Dana HD’s. Whenever they do wear out, I’ll replace them with Dynatrac. The big unknown is how long the Dana’s will last and if their longevity is worth the lower price point.
Were you getting any visible play in the joints? I don't have any play in the ball joints, but they certainly behave as if they are worn.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't test the stock ones prior to disassembly. I was putting on new brakes and RCV axle seals so figured new ball joints wouldn't hurt. Once I got the axle torn down, the stock joints were very loose. I was surprised with how loose they were, especially since I didn't really notice any issue with the steering.

Once the new ball joints were installed, the steering was more crisp. They took out some of the slop, which had occurred slowly over time and guess we had gotten used to it.

If you've been on 37's for any amount of time, it's probably best to change out your ball joints sooner than later.

gijohn56

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
my ball joints where shot at 21k miles... I bought the Dynatrac ball joints ($621) and they are great. I looked at the dana ($400) but once they die you pay another $400 for another set where as the Dynatrac are rebuildable and the rebuild kit is only $150. they also sent me the tool to correctly install them.

My only complaint is the zerk fitting. they use the type where you have to insert the ball into the cup and press hard while pumping the grease gun which never works.... I would prefer the ones with the ball on the zerk so you just push the normal grease fitting over the ball and it locks on. You can change them out before you install the ball joints on your own...

By the way my JL has the heavy Diesel engine which really made this a no brainer for me!

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I've read more than 1 account of the Dana ball joints wearing out just as fast as the stock ones. Pony up for the Dynatracs, you won't regret it.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I've read more than 1 account of the Dana ball joints wearing out just as fast as the stock ones. Pony up for the Dynatracs, you won't regret it.
I couldn't agree more with this. One thing that never seems to get mentioned when speaking of the benefits of the rebuildable Dynatrac ball joints. Being able to rebuild them without pressing them out of the axle is not to just save money, but to preserve the press fit between the ball joint housing and the bore in the inner "c". Even when done properly with proper tooling, a pressed fit will lose dimension and holding power with each consecutive press out and back in.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX

It is very important to note that while the Dynatrac ball joints come pre-greased, the Dana HD ball joints do not come pre-greased...This may account for why some users have enjoyed good results and long life using Dana HD ball joints while some have experienced shortened life spans.
Sponsored