Dana 60's: Currie vs Dana Spicer vs Dynatrac vs Fusion

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I'm planning my next JL, which I'll purchase about a year from now and build up. I'll be going with a pair of Dana 60s, but I'm trying to decide between Currie, Dana Spicer, Dynatrac, and Fusion axles. It seems that Dynatrac has a great marketing arm, so I hear a lot about their axles. Curiously, Currie's seem to be the least expensive. That said, I'm leaning towards Fusion as I like the ability to choose the exact axle width and the fact they'll weld on mounts for whichever suspension you want (my plan is for Rock Krawler long arms). But I don't hear as much about Fusion axles. I have a feeling none of these options are "wrong" per se, but my mind isn't made up yet, hence the question.

Sooooo: thoughts on axles? I should add that this will not be my daily driver, but I intend to build it so I can take it anywhere. I'm also expecting to go with ARB lockers.

Also, any feedback on width? My wheels of choice have a backspacing of 4.5".
Sponsored

4LOWYO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 TJ Sport
I have been researching the same thing. Some differences I have worked out so far:
-Currie is high pinion front and rear, some argue a high pinion rear is weaker. They have a "load bolt" on the rear to take care of ring gear deflection. Genright uses Curries on all their builds, so it may be a non-issue. I would worry about oiling on a long highway drive. Currie also uses unit bearings on the front, and they seem to be proprietary.
-All the fronts listed except Fusion use ball joints. Fusion uses kingpins which are arguably stronger, but harder to service if you need replacement.
-I've seen complaints of Dana axles not having the best bracketry. Probably a non-issue for you.
-Dynatrac will custom build whatever you want, but lead times are pretty long right now.
I have pretty much settled on Fusion myself, in a 70" width. Still saving up for the swap.

NCJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I’ve owned 3 sets of Dynatrac axles, lots of Currie stuff (not axles). Both companies make good products.
For my JT build I had the same questions, which axle? I went with Fusion. I’ve always wanted a kingpin front and liked the attention to detail Fusion had for the build. Should see them any day. I’ll let you know.

I would not go HP for a daily driver. HP is for short wheelbase builds.

I hear a lot of good things about the UD60’s. I Did not like the width @69”.

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Mike, Your axle width will be contingent on lift height and tire size......to get the most travel without tire rubbing.......If lift in excess of 4" with 39"+ tires..........I would lean towards a 70-72" width on axles wheels with 0 offset..............I have 4.5" lift, 72" Fusion axles, 40" tires with 0 offset or 4.75 BS wheels. However, this combination will extend pass the stock front rubi fenders by about 4"

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
I wouldn't touch a Currie setup unless it was given to me for free. A buddy with a JK has the 60 front and 70 rear and those have been nothing but a hassle. The unit bearing front pieces are $500 EACH!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
mikej

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Mike, Your axle width will be contingent on lift height and tire size......to get the most travel without tire rubbing.......If lift in excess of 4" with 39"+ tires..........I would lean towards a 70-72" width on axles wheels with 0 offset..............I have 4.5" lift, 72" Fusion axles, 40" tires with 0 offset or 4.75 BS wheels. However, this combination will extend pass the stock front rubi fenders by about 4"
Thanks Richard! My plan is for 40" tires. I hadn't thought about the width being a function of desired travel, but it makes sense. I assume when you say the extend past the fenders, that's to the outside edge of the tire?

OP
OP
mikej

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I’ve owned 3 sets of Dynatrac axles, lots of Currie stuff (not axles). Both companies make good products.
For my JT build I had the same questions, which axle? I went with Fusion. I’ve always wanted a kingpin front and liked the attention to detail Fusion had for the build. Should see them any day. I’ll let you know.

I would not go HP for a daily driver. HP is for short wheelbase builds.

I hear a lot of good things about the UD60’s. I Did not like the width @69”.
Awesome! I see you're in East Bay (me too), maybe I can come check them out once you've got them. I'm curious about the kingpin front axle.

Digger 5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I assume you're talking about a FF 60 rear.
I've had UD60s and Dynatrac 60s and both were very well done. The UD60s were more of a direct bolt-in. The DTs required more custom work for installation. Note: These were not for JL but JK.
I went 5" backspacing with 17" TR beadlocks with 39" KM3s.
As previously mentioned, don't go HP rear. Load bolts are only good if you keep them constantly adjusted. Even with the load bolt you lose strength with a HP rear. DT does not recommend a HP60 rear for over a 37" tire on anything that weighs over about 4,500# or gets hardcore use. I have friends with HP 60 rears on TJ unlimiteds (5200#ish) on 40s that eat rear gears (they use them very hard).

Reactions: J0E
OP
OP
mikej

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I assume you're talking about a FF 60 rear.
I've had UD60s and Dynatrac 60s and both were very well done. The UD60s were more of a direct bolt-in. The DTs required more custom work for installation. Note: These were not for JL but JK.
I went 5" backspacing with 17" TR beadlocks with 39" KM3s.
As previously mentioned, don't go HP rear. Load bolts are only good if you keep them constantly adjusted. Even with the load bolt you lose strength with a HP rear. DT does not recommend a HP60 rear for over a 37" tire on anything that weighs over about 4,500# or gets hardcore use. I have friends with HP 60 rears on TJ unlimiteds (5200#ish) on 40s that eat rear gears (they use them very hard).
Yep, full float. Thanks for the additional guidance away from the high pinion. I'm sure I'll be heavy, so I'd rather not go eating gears.

Chainringtattoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon ecodiesel
We are in a similar situation. I just ordered Fusion 60s in 72" a couple weeks ago. One of my main reasons was that Dan spent 30 minutes on the phone with me when I was still undecided. Who does that these days? Told me everything I needed to know. I also like the idea of the kingpin. I, too, struggled with axle width. But 72" seems to be the sweet spot for a 40" tire and 4.75 BS wheel to get the best scrub radius. Yeah, it's going to be wider than I really want, but it will turn better and clear better when stuffed and turned. Plus, I got 25% off KMC beadlocks and 2.5 ton tie rod and drag link. Now I just have to patiently wait delivery.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mikej

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
We are in a similar situation. I just ordered Fusion 60s in 72" a couple weeks ago. One of my main reasons was that Dan spent 30 minutes on the phone with me when I was still undecided. Who does that these days? Told me everything I needed to know. I also like the idea of the kingpin. I, too, struggled with axle width. But 72" seems to be the sweet spot for a 40" tire and 4.75 BS wheel to get the best scrub radius. Yeah, it's going to be wider than I really want, but it will turn better and clear better when stuffed and turned. Plus, I got 25% off KMC beadlocks and 2.5 ton tie rod and drag link. Now I just have to patiently wait delivery.
Thanks for the feedback! I'll be curious to hear how the 72" works out, but I'll also make sure to give Fusion a call when I'm ready and discuss options.

yotajeeper

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 1996 toyota4runner
I was looking at the Ultimate Dana 60 as they have the best price. But the axle width is an issue at 68.5 inches. Going to need at least 70 for the 40s and up

BJACK

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2021 JLUD
Have you checked out Dstrac? D70's with 40 spline shafts and HP/LP options. I would like to see someone put their portal axles under a JL!

OP
OP
mikej

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Have you checked out Dstrac? D70's with 40 spline shafts and HP/LP options. I would like to see someone put their portal axles under a JL!
Looks really cool and the ground clearance is neat, but I’m not sure on the added complexity of the portal gearsets.