Dana 60's: Currie vs Dana Spicer vs Dynatrac vs Fusion

Knight Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR diesel
Dang…sounds like you’ve had quite the headaches as well! Hate to hear that, quite the laundry list of fine tuning there. Are your sensors being stretched or pulling anything when you’re turning? I try to focus on the simplest things then work backwards from there. Appreciate the specs on the air gap, will definitely refer to those when I tear into the rear axle. I’m not sure anyone makes truly plug and play “bolt in” axles. Annoying these are the issues one has when paying this much for axles. You’d think the QC would be top notch.
No, the sensor cables are plenty long enough. The axle manufacturers aren't all to blame really. Hard (and very costly) to make a plug and play version for every variant of vehicle out there. Jeep bears a lot of responsibility for making mods harder but federal regulations and costs also limit them. It would be nice if Jeep would cater more to the mod market and make it easier to make aftermarket stuff work with the Jeep. I say that, but I can't think of a more modified vehicle in the world than a Jeep Wrangler. We just have to be willing to live with certain compromises or spend a lot of money making those modifications work correctly.
Sponsored

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
No, the sensor cables are plenty long enough. The axle manufacturers aren't all to blame really. Hard (and very costly) to make a plug and play version for every variant of vehicle out there. Jeep bears a lot of responsibility for making mods harder but federal regulations and costs also limit them. It would be nice if Jeep would cater more to the mod market and make it easier to make aftermarket stuff work with the Jeep. I say that, but I can't think of a more modified vehicle in the world than a Jeep Wrangler. We just have to be willing to live with certain compromises or spend a lot of money making those modifications work correctly.
Diezel of Kingdom Krawl just finished a JKUR on Fusion axles and 42s and Fusion is his first choice. He asked me if I'd consider doing 42's on a JK because there's so much less electronics to fight.
Fusions page says:

We can build axles with brackets kits for popular suspension systems such as EVO, Rock Krawler, and GenRight Elite.

Although DSTRAC is supposed to be coming out with Portals that are rated for highway driving. I'm building a dedicated wheeling rig so I keep thinking 40's on portals would make a great crawler. I just don't want to be the first so I'll probably go with Fusion built for my lift kit.

Knight Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR diesel
Diezel of Kingdom Krawl just finished a JKUR on Fusion axles and 42s and Fusion is his first choice. He asked me if I'd consider doing 42's on a JK because there's so much less electronics to fight.
Fusions page says:

We can build axles with brackets kits for popular suspension systems such as EVO, Rock Krawler, and GenRight Elite.

Although DSTRAC is supposed to be coming out with Portals that are rated for highway driving. I'm building a dedicated wheeling rig so I keep thinking 40's on portals would make a great crawler. I just don't want to be the first so I'll probably go with Fusion built for my lift kit.
I'm not familiar with DSTRAC. I went with Fusion simply because Dan took the time to call me and talk to me about their axles after I left a message. Like I stated in an earlier post, things haven't gone perfectly but there has been nothing so serious that a little time and patience couldn't cure. Dan has been responsive to my emails and questions all along the way. That's important to me. It makes me feel connected to the company. It also makes me forgive the things that aren't perfect and have patience for when a fix needs to be made.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I'm not familiar with DSTRAC. I went with Fusion simply because Dan took the time to call me and talk to me about their axles after I left a message. Like I stated in an earlier post, things haven't gone perfectly but there has been nothing so serious that a little time and patience couldn't cure. Dan has been responsive to my emails and questions all along the way. That's important to me. It makes me feel connected to the company. It also makes me forgive the things that aren't perfect and have patience for when a fix needs to be made.
DSTRAC could be a game-changer. Built in Brazil but they have a new warehouse here in the states. Their prices are significantly less than the 3 power players and they look to be well built. It will be interesting to see how their reputation builds. Though I bet if demand goes crazy so will the prices, just like everything else.

Reactions: J0E

DLW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
DSTRAC could be a game-changer. Built in Brazil but they have a new warehouse here in the states. Their prices are significantly less than the 3 power players and they look to be well built. It will be interesting to see how their reputation builds. Though I bet if demand goes crazy so will the prices, just like everything else.
Their axle's are actually on sale right now (and a good deal), otherwise they are about $1K cheaper than the next cheapest option, the UD60's, but I wonder if you/I have to pay tax on them, lol, that's another huge savings if not. They are 8/9 week lead times, same as Fusion, but way better than Dynatrac and Currie lead times of 3-6 months. Dana you can get them at your door this week.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Their axle's are actually on sale right now (and a good deal), otherwise they are about $1K cheaper than the next cheapest option, the UD60's, but I wonder if you/I have to pay tax on them, lol, that's another huge savings if not. They are 8/9 week lead times, same as Fusion, but way better than Dynatrac and Currie lead times of 3-6 months. Dana you can get them at your door this week.
Not a huge fan of Dana these days and their axles are not in the same league as DSTRAC.. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Dynatrac has had the market cornered for so long it’s nice to see some new entrants.

DLW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Not a huge fan of Dana these days and their axles are not in the same league as DSTRAC.. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Dynatrac has had the market cornered for so long it’s nice to see some new entrants.
I don't disagree about having competition.
But I only see people talking on the interwebs and not many in the Jeep crowd buying DSTRAC axles yet, only seen one or two posted here. I think in the back's of peoples minds, they are hesitant to fork out big cash on a somewhat unknown in this community right now. I think once more folks get them and beat on them more, that will change. I personally want to know more about what their air and e-lockers are for example, are they their own design, or are they ARB and Eaton stuff re-branded? Their website needs to be more forthcoming. Of course I could just contact them and ask, but they seem a bit vague about it on other social media platforms.

Fusion has upped the ante quite a bit as well having another option, and have a lot of offerings outside the cookie cutter stuff on their website JL section, like the super 60's. They have already taken a chunk from Dynatrac and others. Curie recently added their D70 package for the 392 guys, but quite expensive.

MSparks909

First Name
Miles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 3.0
Finally yanked my XD60 rear axle down. Pulled the drivers side caliper, axle shaft and hub off. Hard to get a good picture but I’ve got a solid 1/4” gap between the hub/tone ring and the wheel speed sensor. Couldn’t get a caliper on it without yanking the parking brake shoes off but it’s easily 1/4”. Tried to move the mounting flange some but no dice on that making a difference. I counted 52 teeth but I’m really thinking I have JK hubs by mistake. No way the tone ring/sensor gap should be 1/4”

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
I don't disagree about having competition.
But I only see people talking on the interwebs and not many in the Jeep crowd buying DSTRAC axles yet, only seen one or two posted here. I think in the back's of peoples minds, they are hesitant to fork out big cash on a somewhat unknown in this community right now. I think once more folks get them and beat on them more, that will change. I personally want to know more about what their air and e-lockers are for example, are they their own design, or are they ARB and Eaton stuff re-branded? Their website needs to be more forthcoming. Of course I could just contact them and ask, but they seem a bit vague about it on other social media platforms.
I wouldn't trust their e-lockers. My thinking is the air-lockers are stronger and entirely mechanical so should be easier to fix. I asked them about their DSLOCKER and Alfredo Flores responded we cannot state air locker because another brand… I'm pretty sure it's their own design but you could ask Alfredo, he's super responsive. Dstrac Sales <[email protected]>

Fusion has upped the ante quite a bit as well having another option, and have a lot of offerings outside the cookie cutter stuff on their website JL section, like the super 60's. They have already taken a chunk from Dynatrac and others. Curie recently added their D70 package for the 392 guys, but quite expensive.
I'm going with Fusion next year unless I can find someone who's had luck with their portals. Portals on 40's would be like 47s on regular axles. Alfredo claims their new portal design is rated for highway speeds. I'll be doing very little on the highway but sometimes I'll need to travel on the highway.

Reactions: DLW

firedude

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 392 Stingray
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired firefighter
Finally yanked my XD60 rear axle down. Pulled the drivers side caliper, axle shaft and hub off. Hard to get a good picture but I’ve got a solid 1/4” gap between the hub/tone ring and the wheel speed sensor. Couldn’t get a caliper on it without yanking the parking brake shoes off but it’s easily 1/4”. Tried to move the mounting flange some but no dice on that making a difference. I counted 52 teeth but I’m really thinking I have JK hubs by mistake. No way the tone ring/sensor gap should be 1/4”
Been watching your build. Sorry your having to go through this with your axles. Very poor quality control. Almost seems like the rule and not the exception these days. It all gets blamed on covid. Supply and demand. Those that have the supply are taking advantage. I will remember these people when I am shopping. There are some good companies I will remember also when/If things ever return to normal.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I wouldn't trust their e-lockers. My thinking is the air-lockers are stronger and entirely mechanical so should be easier to fix. I asked them about their DSLOCKER and Alfredo Flores responded we cannot state air locker because another brand… I'm pretty sure it's their own design but you could ask Alfredo, he's super responsive. Dstrac Sales <[email protected]>

I'm going with Fusion next year unless I can find someone who's had luck with their portals. Portals on 40's would be like 47s on regular axles. Alfredo claims their new portal design is rated for highway speeds. I'll be doing very little on the highway but sometimes I'll need to travel on the highway.
You’re gonna have a hard time getting any kind of flex with portals. You won’t have room for much lift and will have to severely limit uptravel. If you’re going to run portals you really need a chassis designed around them (buggy).

Joeee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler TJ Stroker / Wrangler JLU 3.6
If you choose to go with Dana axle, don't go with Dynatrac. They make a lot of advertise but nobody is in the backoffice when you need spare parts.
When you claim after 2 week waiting a quote, the say: oh we had sone problems with the emails server. This excuse is so common that it makes you laugh ... or cry of the poor service quality

Qwest4air

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stretched JK
Knight offroad

I also have fusion axles on my 392, I have the 60s front and rear. They are definitely beef and you’re definitely need to grind down the knuckle stops to get the appropriate amount of steering. I am thinking you could probably get a 9 inch rim to match the steering gearbox throw, but I’m not sure if I would run into Clarence issues with my 40s in the front bumper.

I have the same issue when making sharp turns and the traction control lights goes off. I have tried to play with tire size on the tazer but made little difference. I don’t think it’s a sensor reading issue because everything is fine driving straight highway speeds slight turns etc. it’s only a sharp turn that it activates. I think it might be an Acreman angle issue when you’re turning the distance the rear doesn’t match proportionally to the front, but I’m not sure and have no way to prove that.
Find a solution please PM me.

I also had the same issues with the hydro assist. I did a PSC ram on a tapped factory steering gearbox and factory electric pump. The only real issue I have is it’s a little slow in parking spots, I was thinking about going down one size and ram diameter to see if that helped pick up some of the steering speed back but wasn’t sure how much impact that would have on the assist.

as far as the tie rod hitting the ram I actually moved my axle sidebracket up just a little bit to allow some additional clearance, based on your picture you posted yours seems a little higher than mine anyway.

i’m not sure who it was that mentioned curry in this thread earlier, but I don’t think they belong in the same category as fusion, or Dyna track. They are definitely more of a discount axle Which is crazy to say because they’re very expensive. I had several issues with my curry axles and despite being local to the manufacturing they gave me quite the run around trying to get some issues resolved.
They couldn’t tell me how much fluid to put in the axle, they said drive it around until it quit spewing out of the vent tube. I had an ARB leak, which could happen to any manufacture. But the main differential carrier bearings had the chrome hard coating completely delaminate off of both bearing races. I had a bent axle shaft on a semi float Dana 60 axle and they wanted me to remove the entire axle assembly from my jeep and bring it to them in order for them to replace the axle instead of me just bringing them the axle as I stated I live local, and taking care of it. I was about one month away from my warranty expiring and their comment was well you’re almost out of warranty, like that makes any difference. After going back to the shop that I purchased them from and making a big stink I finally got one of their team members to drive down the axle shaft, not the entire axle, and they replaced it.

Qwest4air

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stretched JK
KNight Off Road, one other question, do you feel like you have enough rear braking force applied to the rear axle? I feel like it’s a little light, the only reason why I say that is if you’re backing down some thing in the front tires lose traction I don’t feel like the rears hold as well as they should, just curious if you had the same issue?

don’t get me wrong I have 40s and can be zipping down the highway and have no problem stopping, it’s mainly just an off-road situation when backing up.

Knight Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR diesel
KNight Off Road, one other question, do you feel like you have enough rear braking force applied to the rear axle? I feel like it’s a little light, the only reason why I say that is if you’re backing down some thing in the front tires lose traction I don’t feel like the rears hold as well as they should, just curious if you had the same issue?

don’t get me wrong I have 40s and can be zipping down the highway and have no problem stopping, it’s mainly just an off-road situation when backing up.
I did not have good braking force until I took it to the dealer and had them do an ABS brake bleed. Now I hold pretty well on steep inclines. The e-brake is garbage but I think they all are with 40s.

I have switched to the PSC diesel steering box and I have no more issues with steering or the traction control light coming on when turning.

I've had my Fusion axles in for about 9 months now and the front Eaton E-Locker has failed. I'm currently working with Fusion on sorting that out. There are also a few other issues but I hope Fusion takes care of them like they have everything else so far.
Sponsored