Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Installed the new Dynatrac HD Ball Joints today. Beefy spindles sent from the Jeep gods... well not quite, but thanks @Northridge4x4!

Seriously, these things are amazing and remedied all of the clicking and popping I was experiencing from the stock joints. I consider myself fortunate, as the Jeep's mileage has crested 42k miles, with 24k+ of those running on 40's.

These joints are rebuildable, so here's hoping this is the last set I have to buy... at least for this Jeep.

Here's the thing, they're fairly straight-forward to install, unless you're running RCV axle shafts. The RCV bulbs are much wider than those on other/standard axle shafts, so the "wiggle room" necessary to get both spindles through the knuckle holes is more restrictive. Also, the spindles themselves are a bit longer than the stock ones, so you really have to hold your head just right to get everything back together.

If you go with these ball joints and are running RCV's, you may want to leave the top sleeve (original sleeve is re-used) off until the upper and lower spindles are passed through both holes in the knuckle. From there, it's a bit of a puzzle to find the proper angle that each of the spindles, and the knuckle, need to sit at to allow the sleeve to be maneuvered back into the top of the knuckle. If anyone's had a better experience, please share.

Also, after pressing the joints into place (definitely buy the install kit @ $12), you will not be able to install the lower joints' top snap ring. The bodies of the lower joints simply aren't tall enough, and there's just not enough room. The top joints' clips go right on. I called Dynatrac, and they hadn't experienced that yet. No concerns, though, as properly set joints aren't going anywhere.

Time will tell, but these things really seem to be highly over built.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dynatrac HD Ball Joints - Massive 20200928_112424

Jeep Wrangler JL Dynatrac HD Ball Joints - Massive Dynatrac To

Jeep Wrangler JL Dynatrac HD Ball Joints - Massive Dynatrac Lower - Top View

Jeep Wrangler JL Dynatrac HD Ball Joints - Massive Dynatrac Lower - Bottom View
Sponsored

Last edited:

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sahara JKU, 2013 Rubicon JKU
Occupation
Seller of badassery
Looking good @Sting_NC_USA, now get out and use those parts, they look waaaay too clean... ;)

Thanks for the business, we do appreciate it.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the writeup. These are next up on my list of "to-dos" this winter.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Seems like these would clear the 1410 u joints found in the ultimate 44 axle yeah? The lower ball joint is pretty flush.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like these would clear the 1410 u joints found in the ultimate 44 axle yeah? The lower ball joint is pretty flush.
They should, i have a set ready to go in. the synergy ones clear it and these dont sit up any higher. I take it back the synergy ones are flush with the top, but i still dont think it will matter, that rcv boot is bigger than ours

Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
They should, i have a set ready to go in. the synergy ones clear it and these dont sit up any higher. I take it back the synergy ones are flush with the top, but i still dont think it will matter, that rcv boot is bigger than ours
You’ve got a set of DT ball joints ready to go? Let me know how it goes. I still have a weird clicking type noise ( not just the normal one everyone hears it’s more when I go over bumps) and terrible creaking noise that I think is coming from my ball joints after they get warmed up from turning while driving. I can’t seem to keep grease in them and I think whatever is inside is toast.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
You’ve got a set of DT ball joints ready to go? Let me know how it goes. I still have a weird clicking type noise ( not just the normal one everyone hears it’s more when I go over bumps) and terrible creaking noise that I think is coming from my ball joints after they get warmed up from turning while driving. I can’t seem to keep grease in them and I think whatever is inside is toast.
Thats a Bummer lol. Yeah im not putting them in yet though till i get some reid racing steel knuckles. They said should be ready before end of year. I had those ones that came with the axle in for about 2 weeks then i put in synergys ball joints. Now i got the dynatracs because i like the design better

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Thats a Bummer lol. Yeah im not putting them in yet though till i get some reid racing steel knuckles. They said should be ready before end of year. I had those ones that came with the axle in for about 2 weeks then i put in synergys ball joints. Now i got the dynatracs because i like the design better
Dana spicer did send me out some balljoints for free but I’m still thinking about the Dynatrac’s if I’m going to through the hassle of changing them. Lmk when you put them in.

Sponsored

mushroomax

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
@Sting_NC_USA thanks for the info. Mine showed up today and looks like from the packaging that Dynatrac has only included the top 2 snap rings - as if to acknowledge and not confuse the installer that the lowers will not utilize snap rings for this application.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dynatrac HD Ball Joints - Massive Dynatrac JL Ball Joints

OP
OP
Sting_NC_USA

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
@Sting_NC_USA thanks for the info. Mine showed up today and looks like from the packaging that Dynatrac has only included the top 2 snap rings - as if to acknowledge and not confuse the installer that the lowers will not utilize snap rings for this application.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dynatrac HD Ball Joints - Massive Dynatrac JL Ball Joints
Congrats on the purchase. Many miles in, with several trail runs along the way, and they are performing very well. Enjoy!

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Just ordered a set of these ball joints, along with a set of front rcv axle shafts. They are in stock at Northridge 4x4, so I should have them very soon. I've got a bit over 40k on the odometer, with 35's put on at 10k and 38's at around 25k. I've been noticing a bit of wander creeping in.
Sponsored