First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
So while I’m hunting down a used 2018 JL it seems most of them are JK’s. In fact, I don’t remember seeing any used 2018 JL (or at least it wasn’t specified). From what I’ve been reading I’ll definitely want a JL. Do I need to jump to a 2019 for the JL or do I need to search harder?​
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You need to look.

I bought a new 2018 JL a year ago.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
So while I’m hunting down a used 2018 JL it seems most of them are JK’s. In fact, I don’t remember seeing any used 2018 JL (or at least it wasn’t specified). From what I’ve been reading I’ll definitely want a JL. Do I need to jump to a 2019 for the JL or do I need to search harder?​
2018 was the last year for JK and the first year for JL. So they made both that year. keep looking, you’ll find one.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
They made JKs and JLs in 2018. I believe if it doesn't say JK it is most likely a JL. However, you can usually tell by the pics if you are unsure. The JL has a slight rake in the grill. ALso, if there are graphics on the side (that say Wrangler), all the JKs I have seen say JK. THere are also differences in the interior. If you google the interior of a 2020 wrangler and pull up some pics, you should be able to tell pretty clearly if the Jeep you are looking at is a JK or JL by comparing the interiors.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
It’s easy- if it looks boring, amateurish, and like the designers gave up after their first attempt, it’s a JK.

If it looks like an actual Jeep which the designers finished, it’s a JL.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JasonInDLH

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Great! Thanks guys! Makes sense now.

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
I think the JL is the first with a backup camera. That may make your search easier.

I could always tell when looking at the taillights personally.

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
Easiest for me to spot the difference from a distance (or a small picture) is the front turn signals. If there are little round lights under the headlights in the grille, it's a JK. If they're integrated into the fender, it's a JL.

OP
OP
JasonInDLH

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Easiest for me to spot the difference from a distance (or a small picture) is the front turn signals. If there are little round lights under the headlights in the grille, it's a JK. If they're integrated into the fender, it's a JL.
Perfect! I see the difference clearly now, thanks

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
It’s easy- if it looks boring, amateurish, and like the designers gave up after their first attempt, it’s a JK.

If it looks like an actual Jeep which the designers finished, it’s a JL.
The "boring, amateurish" JK was one of the best selling Jeeps ever and made a Wrangler a household name esp due to the four door model. The JL made up for the slight imperfectons and improved the JK platform. JL wouldn't be here if it wasnt for the JK. It made it more luxurious by taking away some things that the "actual Jeep" had such as a YJ, TJ or CJ. Good job coming out arrogant and insulting anyone who had owned the JK models and cherished them. Pretty sure you would know nothing about what a JK, TJ or YJ felt like if you think a JL to be an "actual Jeep".
[/INDENT][/QUOTE]

Sponsored

OP
OP
JasonInDLH

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
My first vehicle was a YJ, so I’ll be glad to get into anything nowadays. I’m still comprehending the fact you can stuff 37’s in these quite easily (as opposed to the YJ).

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
The "boring, amateurish" JK was one of the best selling Jeeps ever and made a Wrangler a household name esp due to the four door model. The JL made up for the slight imperfectons and improved the JK platform. JL wouldn't be here if it wasnt for the JK. It made it more luxurious by taking away some things that the "actual Jeep" had such as a YJ, TJ or CJ. Good job coming out arrogant and insulting anyone who had owned the JK models and cherished them. Pretty sure you would know nothing about what a JK, TJ or YJ felt like if you think a JL to be an "actual Jeep".
[/INDENT]
[/QUOTE]

I've owned a TJ (six years) and YJ (four years). I know all about "actual" jeeps.

I'm not going to go too in depth on this because I've already practically written a book on it on these forums, but the JK was a lazy, ugly, half-assed, cynical, last-ditch effort to save the Wrangler (and incidentally, it worked. I never said it didn't sell well). I'm fully aware that the four door JK saved the Wrangler. I just think they could and should have done a better job with it. When the JL came out my immediate impression was "oh my god, they took the JK and actually finished designing it." By the way, me saying the JL "looks like an actual Jeep" was a reference to the fact that the JL has design cues from the CJ, YJ, and TJ in it.

If any JK owners are offended by my opinion, well... too bad. Grow thicker skin. It's an opinion.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I've owned a TJ (six years) and YJ (four years). I know all about "actual" jeeps.

I'm not going to go too in depth on this because I've already practically written a book on it on these forums, but the JK was a lazy, ugly, half-assed, cynical, last-ditch effort to save the Wrangler (and incidentally, it worked. I never said it didn't sell well). I'm fully aware that the four door JK saved the Wrangler. I just think they could and should have done a better job with it. When the JL came out my immediate impression was "oh my god, they took the JK and actually finished designing it." By the way, me saying the JL "looks like an actual Jeep" was a reference to the fact that the JL has designed cues from the CJ, YJ, and TJ in it.

If any JK owners are offended by my opinion, well... too bad. Grow thicker skin. It's an opinion.

Ok, buddy. Just saying. You sounded rather obnoxious and entitled when you trashed the JK like that. Maybe an explanation there could have made you sound not as arrogant.​

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, buddy. Just saying. You sounded rather obnoxious and entitled when you trashed the JK like that. Maybe an explanation there could have made you sound not as arrogant.​
That's fair, tone is very hard to interpret on the Internet. Never take anything I say too seriously, it's all hogwash anyway. In person it wouldn't have come across so arrogant.

Besides, I'd rather have a JK than any one of these, six days a week and twice on sunday:

Jeep Wrangler JL Dumb Question (Solved) cuvs

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's fair, tone is very hard to interpret on the Internet. Never take anything I say too seriously, it's all hogwash anyway. In person it wouldn't have come across so arrogant.

Besides, I'd rather have a JK than any one of these, six days a week and twice on sunday:

Jeep Wrangler JL Dumb Question (Solved) cuvs
Crossovers! I am not a big fan. I like me either a Sedan or a body on frame SUV. Crossovers or Minivans never appealed to me in terms of designing cues. In the quest to save fuel economy and cost, the Automotive industry created a love child of a one night stand between a Sedan and an SUV.
Sponsored