First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
OK, I know this stupid question. I'm going to 35s when I re-tire my JLUR. I'm afraid that still won't give me enough lift to clear those occasional obstacles the 2 doors can go over. I don't really want to raise the Jeep permanently, my wife already complains about how hard it is to get into. I have on board air, can I just add front and rear airbags and inflate them to gain a couple inches of body lift just to clear a single obstacle? I've had airbags on trucks to level loads and could get several inches of lift. I know guys who ran front airbags to level out snowplows. In both those cases the lift was to get back to level. Can I use the same airbags to get body lift above level? Thanks
Sponsored

AeonFrost

First Name
Xylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S Unlimited Granite Gray
Your rubicon should have no problem going over obstacles on 35s without a coil shock lift.

You can get a rocker with a fold out step so your wife won’t complain about being hard to get in the vehicle.

if you are talking about air suspension, that would be an idea but not a cheap upgrade.

OP
OP
MtCamper

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
No, I'm just asking about regular airbags that are designed to level a load. No I can't go over some of the obstacles I encounter here in the Arizona desert with my 4 door because I end up being a teeter-totter and need a pull. I'd like to get an occasional 2" body lift to clear a few more of those big rocks and was wondering if standard (cheap) airbags would do the trick.

OP
OP
MtCamper

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
That's the idea but that's the spendy full suspension AeonFrost mentioned. I'm curious more about the Firestone load leveling suspension. If the airgabs are empty and you inflate them fully how much lift do you get?

Sponsored

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
A body lift isn’t going to help you clear the rocks that you are getting stuck on. A body lift will only lift the body from the frame.

I dont have much knowledge on airbags other than I have seen them used on the rear springs to help with load when towing.
You may want to look into a 1.5 lift to go along with the 35’s and find some steps to help your wife get in the Jeep.

sorry not much help on the airbag info.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Land Rovers come with air suspensions that lift the truck. They are notorious for breaking down. On the rare occasion you meet a Land Rover owner on the trail, he comes with an endless supply of stories about mechanical breakdowns.

Jeep Grand Cherokees Trailhawks and Ram Rebel pickups also come with air suspensions to lift the truck. Although those appear to hold together better than Land Rovers’.

A side effect of air suspensions is that when you inflate the airbags to gain clearance, it also makes the suspension stiffer, reducing articulation.

Good luck.

Fully lifted
in018_087jp.jpg

Last edited:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I wouldn't go with an airbag add-on. If you're absolutely convinced you need more clearance at the trade off of other things, get a good lift system, the whole system and get your wife some retractable steps.

I like to keep my roadable vehicles relatively low to keep the center of gravity low and maintain road handling, since I drive my Rubicon on the road everyday and off-road a very small percentage of it's life. Besides, the dogs need to get in and out. If I had a dedicated off-road vehicle, I'd lift it.

Biohazard

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (sold May 2020); now own 2020 trd pro Tacoma
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Bad idea. Complicated, won't help. I agree with the other guys, lift a little and add some steps for your wife.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
look at belly skids then

you are never realistically get a 2 door break over unless you go bigger on lift and tires, which you do not want to do for egress reasons

but first take the jeep off road see what the trails your plan on running are like and what need to change to make the jeep better to handle those trails
Sponsored