19 JLUR Bright Whit3 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    GM
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLUR
    Liked:
    (Retired) LEO
    Garage Profiles:
    I bought a 2018 JLU Premium soft top on CL for $550 for my 2019. It fit like a glove. the seller stated the "wife" didn't care for the wind noise.
    Anyways. I've been trying to figure out where these two pieces go. They were in the bag with the various smaller parts. I didn't see it on the parts list and watched all the install videos. I'm thinking it didn't belong to the top or the seller had taking them off which didn't need to be taken off. There were four loose screws also. Thanks.

IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

2. Snayte

Snayte Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Nathan
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
    Liked:
    I have a rattle that sounds like a loose screw rattling around in the roll bar but I think it is actually coming from the front of the track that the top slides in. Been too lazy to take off the door surround to check it out further.

3. digitalbliss

digitalbliss Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
    Liked:
    They are trim pieces overhead at the top of the windshield. That are removed when you install the metal brackets for the hard top. If you have those brackets installed, you don't need them.

4. 19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name:
    GM
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLUR
    Liked:
    (Retired) LEO
    Garage Profiles:
    Thanks. I can't find the location you're referring to. My hardtop came off with just the bolts in the rear and sound bar. I don't see any metal brackets on top of the windshield. It does not leak or make funny noises, so I'll leave them off. Thanks again.

5. digitalbliss

digitalbliss Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
    Liked:
    They go here. They are only installed on Jeeps that did not come with the hard top.20190906_193604.jpg

thecritter likes this.
  6. 19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name:
    GM
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 JLUR
    Liked:
    (Retired) LEO
    Garage Profiles:
    Thank you.

7. WilliamstownLakeDude

WilliamstownLakeDude Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    2014 Ford Explorer & 2018 Punk'n JL Sahara
    Liked:
    Mine was so difficult I had to stand on my hood hinges (to not dent the paper hood) and pull it towards me while someone else latched it.

8. nositting

nositting Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    19 JLUS
    Liked:
    it really wasn’t that bad. warmer day is best but just plan to take some time. easier with two people but not necessary.

9. thecritter

thecritter Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Rusty
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Odd yes those are for the latches, but mine came as hard top only and had those installed.. just went and checked my window sticker and it was NOT dual top optioned from factory. Lol I was gonna pissed if dealer sold as an spare to someone.

10. thecritter

thecritter Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Rusty
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    @digitalbliss Sorry re read your comment you said came without a hardtop.:facepalm:

digitalbliss likes this.
  11. The Fixer

The Fixer Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
    Liked:
    Teacher
    My wife's JL has the dual-top group, and my son and I installed the soft top the day after it picking up in May '18. We let it sit out in the sun for a few hours to soften up. Ours had no trouble with the front latches, but stretching the rear window enough to clip into the side channels was really tough the first time. Just keep pulling, and eventually it'll clip in :whew:. We put the hardtop back on last October, then installed the soft top again this spring. This time around, there was no issue with the window as it had been "pre-stretched" from last season.

12. Rahneld

Rahneld Banned

First Name:
    Ronald
    Vehicle(s):
    JL Wrangler
    Liked:
    • You may not experience this.
    • If you do experience this it will probably be only initially.
    • The latches, made of thick metal, have excellent abilities, given their leverage based design, to facilitate such fabric stretching initial closures.

A relevant quick anecdote: After I installed the soft top and it worked fine a tree branch fell on to the rear most cross member and cracked it. I bought a new cross member and installed it on the soft top in place of the cracked one and experienced for a while the stiffness in closure you describe even though the top wasn't new.

13. Rufus

Rufus Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
    Liked:
    I’m considering buying a used hard top for the winter. For those who have both, is the noise in the cabin noticeably less with the hard top than with a closed soft top? Thanks!

14. eck

eck Well-Known Member

First Name:
    John
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
    Liked:
    Mine came with a hard top plus the factory headliners, and then I bought a soft top later on. Although the soft top is definitely louder than the hard top, I was surprised how minor the difference between the two was. I don't personally feel the difference in sound alone would justify buying the hard top. I do however appreciate having the rear wiper and easier access to the cargo area with the hardtop. To me those are more meaningful benefits than the noise reduction.

Harper and Columbus104 like this.
  15. Rufus

Rufus Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
    Liked:
    Thank you. I’ve done some research and since mine was spec’d for only the soft top, and not hard top or dual top, I understand that there is some work involved if I want the wiper and sprayer to work. I believe that there’s a kit that one can get from Mopar that has the wiring and the new control stalk with the control for the rear wiper.