Sponsored

Dual Top Owners

AggieJeepGuy

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (replaced 2007 JKUR); 2016 Durango Brass Monkey edition; 2011 Expedition; 2002 Trans Am WS6 6spd
Vehicle Showcase
Premium soft for sure.
Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Say you could have only afforded one JL top, which one would you have purchased and why:

1) Soft Top Premium (as comes with the Dual Top Option)

2) Hard Top (as comes with the Dual Top Option)

3) Soft Top Basic
I have the same question....currently have a hardtop and live in Chattanooga where we may get 5" of snow a year and it gets chilly Dec-March(low temps in teens at times). Budget wont let me have both tops. Considering selling the hardtop for a premium soft top, but wonder if I'll regret it in the winter. Actually just passed on a chance to buy a new premium soft top for $1800 and bought a Lange manual hoist....kicking myself for not buying the soft top. I imagine more economical options with more color options will pop up as the aftermarket catches up.

Last edited:
OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I have the same question....currently have a hardtop and live in Chattanooga where we may get 5" of snow a year and it gets chilly Dec-March(low temps in teens at times). Budget wont let me have both tops. Considering selling the hardtop for a premium soft top, but wonder if I'll regret it in the winter. Actually just passed on a chance to buy a new premium soft top for $1800 and bought a Lange manual hoist....kicking myself for not buying the soft top. I imagine more economical options with more color options will pop up as the aftermarket catches up.
Yeah...maybe the "play" in your case is to sell the soft top and wait for Bestop to release it's cheaper than the full soft top JL soft Freedom Panel replacement. It does have the advantage of being able to be open and close from within the rig, if not provide the complete open air feel one can get through the soft top.

I think what I'm seeing here as the key contributory factors to people's decisions are money, the climate they live in, and desire to adhere to the classic soft top standard of the rig's heritage.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Yeah...maybe the "play" in your case is to sell the soft top and wait for Bestop to release it's cheaper than the full soft top JL soft Freedom Panel replacement. It does have the advantage of being able to be open and close from within the rig, if not provide the complete open air feel one can get through the soft top.

I think what I'm seeing here as the key contributory factors to people's decisions are money, the climate they live in, and desire to adhere to the classic soft top standard of the rig's heritage.
You must have misread my post...I said that I currently have a hardtop and passed on buying a soft top. How would I sell a soft top that I dont have?

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Say you could have only afforded one JL top, which one would you have purchased and why:

1) Soft Top Premium (as comes with the Dual Top Option)

2) Hard Top (as comes with the Dual Top Option)

3) Soft Top Basic

First time wrangler owner; went with dual top JLUR.

From above, I would get the hard top if you have winter...then buy aftermarket soft top.

If you will never buy another top...seems like premium soft gives you the jeepyness...

I have really liked the premium soft top...in several configurations, but my favorite is full up, with sides/back off.

GL!!!

Sponsored

Kevman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara Granite Crystal, Audi A5
Just get both...That's what I did.

MAPC

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Formerly JK-U, JL-U awaiting production
I was really close to going with just the premium soft top but the lack of wiper and defroster for the winter pushed me into dual top mode. Even though my Jeep is garaged at home and at work, I still wanted the wiper and defroster.

Dadawada

First Name
Barrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, 2020 Honda Goldwing Bagger
Occupation
Network Technology Executive
Vehicle Showcase
Why not have both at the same time?

Why can't someone design a soft top that fits under the hard top? Let me remove my hard top and have my soft top underneath. The soft top could even be the headliner of the hard top. Remove the hard top and the headliner becomes a soft top. How hard would that be to do?

aml

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue JLUR
On my TJ, I bought it with only a soft top. I did find a used hardtop on Craigslist but I never got around to adding the electrical or washer fluid connectors.

On my new one I went for both tops. I like having a hard top in the winter and the false sense of security it provides :)

If I had to choose only one top though, it would have to be the premium soft top. It is a Jeep after all...
Sponsored