Sponsored

Driving Without Door Bolts?

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
LOL @Movingday and @MojitoJLUR . It's friday and I thought I would liven up the crowd with adolescent jokes.
Sponsored

BlairF

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS-S Mojito! - 2014 Challenger RT Classic (SuperCharged) - 2016 Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Technology Incident Management
Vehicle Showcase
I have the door bolts out, but the door checks are still bolted in... So now just 4 bolts to get the doors off.. and i like the door checks, but then again, my first jeep.

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

WebDevDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler
They're nuts, not bolts. You can leave them off.

Scott1911

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2 Door Unicorn
OR, just do this???

MojitoJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Mojito
I have the door bolts out, but the door checks are still bolted in... So now just 4 bolts to get the doors off.. and i like the door checks, but then again, my first jeep.
Same here, first jeep, leave the hinge bolts out but use the door check bolts. I go around pop on the doors and while I'm doing that, my 8 year old puts the door check bolts in :like:

Can put them on or take them off in less than 8 minutes now

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
OR, just do this???

i wouldn't do that at all. That doubles your work, plus now you gotta have someone hold the darn door to line up bolts.

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
So I assume you're one of the lucky not married guys on here...
Oh, I'm married. They are just no longer needed. bwaahahaahahahahahaahahahahahaha

Sponsored

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
i wouldn't do that at all. That doubles your work, plus now you gotta have someone hold the darn door to line up bolts.
That just looks wrong on so many levels. I see screwed up paint on all kinds of parts with this.

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That just looks wrong on so many levels. I see screwed up paint on all kinds of parts with this.
Not only do people make a mountain out of a mole hill, now the jeep looks funny with those little flaps with no door, LOL!

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
Not only do people make a mountain out of a mole hill, now the jeep looks funny with those little flaps with no door, LOL!
Maybe they look cool going around corners quickly?

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
Same here, first jeep, leave the hinge bolts out but use the door check bolts. I go around pop on the doors and while I'm doing that, my 8 year old puts the door check bolts in :like:

Can put them on or take them off in less than 8 minutes now

Yes and allot of people bitch about how long it takes. I put the front doors on and the soft top up and windows put back in. In right at 8 min.

OP
OP
INTENSEcretAgent

INTENSEcretAgent

First Name
Intense
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Clubs

Thanks for all the advise! We took the long trip, and worked great as stated without bolts. The door check was another issue...
The door check lever is in the door. Just unbolt it and put the bolt back in the hole and tighten it up.or push the arm back in the door and dont use it.
I leave the nuts off and have pushed the door checks in the door for summer. My doors are off more than they are on. I will reconnect the door checks in the winter.
I tried "pushing" these into the passenger door and discovered it is under quite a bit of tension for those looking to do it. Its able to be done, but goes in with a pretty big effort and thunk. (almost made me think I broke it/something) Needed 2 people too. One to hold door and other to push in. (no further extrapolation on nut jokes there...) ;]

I then decided I didn't want to do that on the passenger side figuring the wife would forget and just swing wide open. (I know old JKs didn't have but the strap, and normal, but not all wives created the same... ;]

So I went to pulling the door checks out of the door and that was definitely a larger endeavor... Ended up with some pliers, a pry bar and some cardboard to protect paint and 2 people again!

There has to be a better way!? Any best practices people have found out there to push and pull door checks out of door simpler noting they are under pretty fair tension?
Sponsored