RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I should add the other big deal is if the small battery does take a poo (no one around to chump start) we all need a back up plan to use the bigger battery. It would have been nice if jeep used another relay or sorts to sense a low or no voltage condition and switch automatically to the bigger battery and pop a warning light. I would have respected that.
I too don't mind if chump starting Bob @twisty is under, say 5 minutes. Also, allow me poetic license to use your reference to the small battery taking a poo, NOT meaning simply that it loses its charge, but is incapable of holding one.

In that case, it would seem, unfortunately, that barring the tow truck somehow carrying and selling and installing us a replacement ESS battery on scene (I know, the odds of being mauled by a snow and brown bear on the same day), that we are flat bed tow truck bound to the nearest FCA dealer.

Ok, true for anyone else too whose single (big) battery takes a poo as I've defined it. But while size may not matter in other off forum (read: this forum, not Penthouse forum) areas, in the world of batteries and time, and cold, size does matter in its ability to deliver depth and duration of current.

(I fear I've opened the door to metaphors on the word "current" here of a more adult nature!)

jlsahara

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
My battery somehow as randomly died. I can confirm a regular jumpstart did work but it is odd it died a year in. We’ll see if this comes back on later today or tomorrow when I plan to drive back to AZ.

Sponsored

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
Ok, so I had something drawing juice plugged into my rear power outlet and this morning i went to go start the jeep and nothing. doors didnt even unlock.

Bought a jumpstart kit from WalMart and it at least got my interior power and locks working but didn't have enough juice to jump the jeep..
Called roadside assistance and tried to have them jump it and no dice.

Do i need to jump the smaller aux battery instead?
any advice would be helpful.
thanks in advance
Haven’t read the whole thread, but I accidentally left mine in D for 2 days shortly after I got it. I think that makes it stay in ACC. Anyway, it was as dead as a doornail. Nothing.
Jumped right off, though, from a Tacoma.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
My battery somehow as randomly died. I can confirm a regular jumpstart did work but it is odd it died a year in. We’ll see if this comes back on later today or tomorrow when I plan to drive back to AZ.
Assuming you have a 3.6L JL here's what happened:

• Your ESS battery died. It signals the main battery to crank the engine.
  • Your main battery was probably dead too since the batteries are always hooked up in parallel but for engine cranking, and any ESS event, which is run solely by the ESS battery.
  • I doubt, and not to split hairs but make a point, that a regular jumpstart worked, simply because the 3.6L JL knows of no such thing. Rather, although you hooked up the donor battery cables as you do on other vehicles, with the 3.6L JL you need to sit with the cables connected for a while to charge the ESS battery enough for it, alone, to signal the main battery (which is supplemented by your donor battery at this task) to crank the engine, barring the permanent 100% of the time parallel connection technique that @Jebiruph has shown us. (Say if you want the link.)

Oscar: I'm not trying to be nit picky. I'm trying to express what exactly happens so you have a better idea of the problem space. : - )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Haven’t read the whole thread, but I accidentally left mine in D for 2 days shortly after I got it. I think that makes it stay in ACC. Anyway, it was as dead as a doornail. Nothing.
Is this a 3.6L JL?

When you say it jumped right off, do you mean, "connect the cables and try quick?"

I would think the batteries are hooked up in parallel during your ACC mode event. Meaning they both drained together. The batteries are always in parallel but for engine cranking and ESS events.

The ESS battery, barring @Jebiruph's hack, must first be charge enough to signal the main battery to crank the engine--which in your case is powered by the donor battery (in parallel) to do so.

The ESS battery will not, simply connecting your donor cables to the main battery, and barring @Jebiruph's hack, get power to signal the main battery/donor cables to crank the engine, without allowing the donor cables to charge this battery a bit first, as the ESS battery is isolated from the main battery/donor cables when signaling the main battery/donor cables to effect this crank event.

The only time a 3.6L behaves like a conventional jump start is if the ESS battery is charged, and the main battery is not---which is hard to happen as the unhealthy battery drains the healthy one when the two batteries are connected in parallel, as they are 99.99% of the time in the 3.6JL.

Maybe somehow you solely drained your main battery...but I just don't see how.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
As long as the dead batteries are not defective, you can jumpstart the 3.6L ESS just like a normal car, as you found. The amount of time needed for the jumpstart depends how depleted the batteries are. I have a post explaining the two battery system here. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-battery-basics.20794/

jlsahara

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Assuming you have a 3.6L JL here's what happened:

• Your ESS battery died. It signals the main battery to crank the engine.
  • Your main battery was probably dead too since the batteries are always hooked up in parallel but for engine cranking, and any ESS event, which is run solely by the ESS battery.
  • I doubt, and not to split hairs but make a point, that a regular jumpstart worked, simply because the 3.6L JL knows of no such thing. Rather, although you hooked up the donor battery cables as you do on other vehicles, with the 3.6L JL you need to sit with the cables connected for a while to charge the ESS battery enough for it, alone, to signal the main battery (which is supplemented by your donor battery at this task) to crank the engine, barring the permanent 100% of the time parallel connection technique that @Jebiruph has shown us. (Say if you want the link.)

Oscar: I'm not trying to be nit picky. I'm trying to express what exactly happens so you have a better idea of the problem space. : - )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Based on the thread and what you said, yes I do think the ESS depleted. To be more detailed, the jump start didn’t immediately start the car. I did have to wait a few minutes after I connected the jumper cables for it to actually work.

Sponsored

allenn

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl 4 Door
Mine randomly died last weekend and I had no such luck. I had to do the jumper trick and disconnect the negative wire. What a joke is all I can say.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine randomly died last weekend and I had no such luck. I had to do the jumper trick and disconnect the negative wire. What a joke is all I can say.
You are the first person that I've seen actually use the jumper and negative cable disconnect to get started. How did it go and what was the eventual fix to the starting issue?

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
As long as the dead batteries are not defective, you can jumpstart the 3.6L ESS just like a normal car, as you found. The amount of time needed for the jumpstart depends how depleted the batteries are. I have a post explaining the two battery system here. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-battery-basics.20794/
Thanks. I’ll read that. Mine is a 2.0. I jump-started it. I connected all 4 cable clamps to battery terminals—not to engine for ground. Don’t know if that’s relevant.
Electricity is sorcery to me.

Last edited:

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
When you say what a joke please explain, I for one have installed the fused jumper from N1 to N2 and then disconnected the ESS negative and ran several weeks like that with no issues so it effectively took the ESS battery out of the loop and all worked fine so I would think if you used the jumper and removed the ESS negative it would have been easy to jump as you are only pushing the charge to one battery

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I’ll read that. Mine is a 2.0. I jump-started it. I connected all 4 cable clamps to battery terminals—not to engine for ground. Don’t know if that’s relevant.
Electricity is sorcery to me.
Be aware that the dual battery/Aux battery jump start related threads refer only to the 3.6 ESS system, not the 2.0. It's the same for the jumper and negative cable disconnect, it's for the 3.6, not the 2.0. From what I've read, the 2.0 does not have an Aux battery and the 48v battery will never be connected in parallel to the main 12v battery. You may still benefit from reading the battery thread I posted because it covers some very basic electrical concepts, just remember your 2.0 battery system is different.
Sponsored