ESS jumpstarting, main battery vs N1 terminal

storyg

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JEEP JK
Excellent graphics and explanation provided by Jerry!

I do wonder if in some of these cases where people found that connecting to the N1 point, if the Main battery posts and cable connectors on these posts might have just enough corrosion built up when people find that jumping at the N1 connection point allowed a better current (amperes) flow, instead? Not that this circuitous route should ever be done. I can see where that path risks blowing out a fuse or worse.

I get the why the AUX battery was included. The electronics load, especially in JEEPS with added electrical-demand products, is pushing the limits of the traditional, single source of power.

Unfortunately, the Mini-me motorcycle - size, AGM battery just is not durable enough with its "System Electronics" load much longer than what people are seeing out of them. Those that are using ESS (Electronic Stop Start) may be enjoying reduced fuel consumption and collectively, helping the environment a bit, but this does contribute to the load balance between the Main and Aux batteries. I also think if a JEEP is parked for many weeks at a time, especially in exceptionally cold weather doesn't work out to well for the optimal performance of the Aux battery either.

And finally, the darned location of the Aux battery below the Main, which potentially can last twice as long (depends on how used, and what kind of Main purchased), means disconnecting and hefting that big boy out of its compartment about every 3 years just to remove and replace the delightful AUX underneath. Hopefully we all practice disconnecting the Negative cable first and re-connecting the Negative cable last. Or pay someone else to do it which in most cases, will double the cost of the AUX replacement. If people chose to replace a Main battery that might still last a few years longer, than the single point of cash layout really skyrockets.

As a point of reference, I typically get 7 years average, out of decent quality "Main" batteries in vehicles. My mind set is to expect failure between 3 and 5 years so I am not surprised by the cash outlay. But I usually get 5+, with 7 pretty typical out of common vehicle batteries. Some last 10 years or more. Lots of factors come into play. Yearly temperatures, number of times a vehicle is started. Load while driving. Drain current while vehicle turned off. A biggie, how often I clean standard post connected batteries. Sometimes checking the other end of the cable connections and perhaps visible cable deterioration. Down-sized wire size and quality just because a cable is found at a bargain price, can result in negative resistance (ohms) that can hurt the battery as well as the life of the engine starter motor.

Anyway, I myself would never risk trying to jump start a Gladiator or any similarly wired vehicle from the N1 point.
Sponsored