kevinkidder

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Unlimited Willy's
Hi All,

Maybe this has been discussed here, but I can't find a way to determine with the DPF regen is complete? Most of my milage is fairly local <1hr. Assuming I need a longer drive to regen the DPF, how do I know when it's done? Coincidentally, I recently got a message that "regen was necessary" after the dealer had my Willys for a while. Is there a message that it is complete?

Thanks
Sponsored

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
No way to know if it has completed a regen unless you have a ScanGauge or Banks monitor setup. A regen when driving only takes 15 minutes or so. So, if your drive takes longer than that, you are fine.

My daily drive is 20 minutes in town and I’ve never had the “continue driving” message pop up. These diesels do a pretty good job taking care of things on their own. I’m at almost 35k miles, just for reference.

grostage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L ecodiesel
Occupation
Millwright/Welder
No way to know if it has completed a regen unless you have a ScanGauge or Banks monitor setup. A regen when driving only takes 15 minutes or so. So, if your drive takes longer than that, you are fine.

My daily drive is 20 minutes in town and I’ve never had the “continue driving” message pop up. These diesels do a pretty good job taking care of things on their own. I’m at almost 35k miles, just for reference.
this is not entirely true, ive have it happen twice where i was driving in town and got the message dpf full comtinue driving at normal speed while regen takes place...takes about 10-15 minutes and then messgae goes away when regen is complete.

OP
OP
kevinkidder

kevinkidder

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
this is not entirely true, ive have it happen twice where i was driving in town and got the message dpf full comtinue driving at normal speed while regen takes place...takes about 10-15 minutes and then messgae goes away when regen is complete.

Does the message go away when regeneration is complete? Or when it is no longer urgent/important to keep driving? Meaning if the DPF alert level is at 70% and my DPF is at 85% (triggering the warning), if the message goes away, is it back to 70%? What would it take to get it to 0? Or at least lower than 20%

I have read what Gorilla57 said above, that you can get a ScanGauge to tell you. I just didn't know if there was an easier way to know or if this was a mystery.

If you can't tell, this is my first Diesel engine, as well as my first Wrangler.

I appreciate everyone's patience.

CWRUYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Does the message go away when regeneration is complete? Or when it is no longer urgent/important to keep driving? Meaning if the DPF alert level is at 70% and my DPF is at 85% (triggering the warning), if the message goes away, is it back to 70%? What would it take to get it to 0? Or at least lower than 20%

I have read what Gorilla57 said above, that you can get a ScanGauge to tell you. I just didn't know if there was an easier way to know or if this was a mystery.

If you can't tell, this is my first Diesel engine, as well as my first Wrangler.

Unless you have a ScanGauge or similar, you won't know when a regen is happening or when the regen is complete or the DPF percentage.

When you receive a message to 'keep driving', that's actually not something you want to see. The engine is letting you know that full regens have been interrupted too many times--perhaps by shutting the engine off--again, you wouldn't necessarily know you're in the middle of a regen unless you have a ScanGauge/equivalent--and now you'll need to take a bit of a road trip to reduce the DPF volume.

Hope this makes sense.

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I've been running a ScanGauge most of the time I've had the JLURD. Lot of in town driving and probably have 1 regen per tank of diesel.

My JLURD has never displayed a message in regards to regen but I always check the gauge to ensure I'm not in regen and that my turbo is below 450F before shutting down.

Regen starts at 80% soot and finishes at 8%. Takes about 10 minutes to complete. Mine tends to hang at ~20% during regen then drops to 8% and is finished.

grostage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L ecodiesel
Occupation
Millwright/Welder

the message goes away yes, im gonna assume it completes the regen but cant say for sure because i dont have a scangauge and dont understand why youd want to know something that you have no control over if that makes sense? and then you have a ugly little box on your dash. my jeep has 30000km on it and have only seen message twice, im gonna guess alot of my regens have happened without me even knowing and most of my km are highway so the jeep is going to be up to temperature already and meeting all the requirements for regen. the emissions systems in new diesels are way ahead of where they use to be, i feel if you do lots of stop and go in town driving you will see a message like i have but it never hurts to do a highway run once a week or so to get everything up to proper temps and possible regen all on its own.

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 w/ 3.0
I'll chime in on this. I have 4,500 on my '22. I've gotten the message twice to continue driving. When it's up to temp, there is another message stating regen in process and 11 minutes later the regen is finished with another message. I hopped on the interstate and drove 6 minutes away and turned around. It was pretty painless.

I do a lot of short hops in town and go out on the weekend. Though I must not go long enough on the weekends to start a regen. Besides these 2 regens, I don't know how many I have completed.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
the message goes away yes, im gonna assume it completes the regen but cant say for sure because i dont have a scangauge and dont understand why youd want to know something that you have no control over if that makes sense? and then you have a ugly little box on your dash. my jeep has 30000km on it and have only seen message twice, im gonna guess alot of my regens have happened without me even knowing and most of my km are highway so the jeep is going to be up to temperature already and meeting all the requirements for regen. the emissions systems in new diesels are way ahead of where they use to be, i feel if you do lots of stop and go in town driving you will see a message like i have but it never hurts to do a highway run once a week or so to get everything up to proper temps and possible regen all on its own.
I like knowing when my DPF is getting full and knowing I'm in the middle of a regen. If I'm in a regen I can drive around for a bit and let it fully complete. I also like knowing that my short trips are filling up the DPF and I can plan a modest drive to let the regen run.

But that's just me. If it doesn't matter to you enough to monitor it, there's nothing wrong with continuing as you always have.

OP
OP
kevinkidder

kevinkidder

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All seriousness aside, I would like to know so I can say "Sorry honey, the Jeep needs a regen of the DPF, I HAVE to go for a long drive. Two hours at least... I will see you later"

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Scangauges are cheap, unobtrusive, easy to install, and highly informative. I actually brought one with me when I picked up my JLURD. It's operational after a five second install. Ten more minutes, when I got home, to get the cable routed perfectly.

It's like driving a stick-shift sports car without a tachometer - you can do it, but why would you?

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Scangauges are cheap, unobtrusive, easy to install, and highly informative. I actually brought one with me when I picked up my JLURD. It's operational after a five second install. Ten more minutes, when I got home, to get the cable routed perfectly.

It's like driving a stick-shift sports car without a tachometer - you can do it, but why would you?
I learned to drive a stick without a tach. Even when I had a tach in my stick shift vehicles I didn't really look at them. I drove by feel and by ear. Even when I took my GTO to the 1/8 mile track I didn't really pay attention to it.

Everyone is different. Everyone has their own preferences. And there's nothing wrong with that. 🤷‍♂️

StartedWith97TJ

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUD Rubicon w/ SOT
All seriousness aside, I would like to know so I can say "Sorry honey, the Jeep needs a regen of the DPF, I HAVE to go for a long drive. Two hours at least... I will see you later"
Based on what I have seen with the scangauge installed, you better plan a much longer trip than 2 hours. The passive regen only drops 1% every 4-7 miles depending on your highway driving conditions. It will definitely move the number down, but it is a slow moving process. Now you have an excuse for a long weekend trip.

Keep Jeep’n

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I learned to drive a stick without a tach. Even when I had a tach in my stick shift vehicles I didn't really look at them. I drove by feel and by ear. Even when I took my GTO to the 1/8 mile track I didn't really pay attention to it.

Everyone is different. Everyone has their own preferences. And there's nothing wrong with that. 🤷‍♂️
Can't disagree with you on becoming attuned to your own vehicle, but the OP was looking for a nonintuitive method for tracking his regens. :)

A few diesel-centric readouts would have been nice on the Ecodiesels. Especially since many of us are new to diesel engines.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Can't disagree with you on becoming attuned to your own vehicle, but the OP was looking for a nonintuitive method for tracking his regens. :)

A few diesel-centric readouts would have been nice on the Ecodiesels. Especially since many of us are new to diesel engines.
No doubt. It's dumb that we can't get an indicator on the dash from the factory.
Sponsored