DPF Misconceptions

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Found this very good video on some common misconceptions about Diesel Particulate Filter, and how DPF may be getting an unnecessary bad rap on modern diesel engines.

I wonder if the tuning they are talking about exists in US?
Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
If DPFs didn’t yield reliability issues we wouldn’t have countless numbers of folks across brands reporting exactly that and manufacturers refusing to cover them under extended warranties. They’re considered wear items which will be replaced even if you reach temperatures required for regens. Maybe the gen3 3.0 will prove to have better longevity, but I draw the line when companies are forced to code dangerous shutdown protocols into these vehicles when DPFs, EGRs, and SCR systems develop faults.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
All well and good, when the DPF is new, and in perfect working order. But, they are notoriously unreliable, and clog up regularly. Not to mention the EGR. Time will definitely tell.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
DPF is covered under Emissions Warranty for 8yrs/80,000 miles also.

Section 5.1 B (Page 16)

https://msmownerassets.z13.web.core...r/P112029_20_JL_D_GW_EN_US_DIGITAL_2ndRev.pdf
Interesting that they quote the OBD system under 24,000 mile coverage when the EPA lists OBD, ECU and catalytic converters as the only major emissions control components covered for 80,000. My comment re extended warranty was in relation to mopar vehicle protection, which when I reviewed the fine print during my 3.0 sale, excluded the DPF (and EGR + SCR). Given the track record of the 3.0 so far, if you’re going to have an issue, the EGR is by far the most likely culprit. Even this document clearly exempts the various controllers and sensors on these systems which are most often the underlying gremlin causing the problem. FCA’s actuaries are not morons...they just look at the failure rates of the parts and exclude those whose rates are likely to lose FCA money on extended warranties.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Capricorn

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Interesting that they quote the OBD system under 24,000 mile coverage when the EPA lists OBD, ECU and catalytic converters as the only major emissions control components covered for 80,000. My comment re extended warranty was in relation to mopar vehicle protection, which when I reviewed the fine print during my 3.0 sale, excluded the DPF (and EGR + SCR). Given the track record of the 3.0 so far, if you’re going to have an issue, the EGR is by far the most likely culprit. Even this document clearly exempts the various controllers and sensors on these systems which are most often the underlying gremlin causing the problem. FCA’s actuaries are not morons...they just look at the failure rates of the parts and exclude those whose rates are likely to lose FCA money on extended warranties.
Speaking on warranty, Mopar offers 7yr/Unlimited Miles for 3.6L and 2.0L but not for 3.0L.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
As long as FCA is replacing the emissions junk under warranty, I'm cool with it. Rock on.

As soon as it starts to come out of my pocket, it's all going into the scrap pile.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Found this very good video on some common misconceptions about Diesel Particulate Filter, and how DPF may be getting an unnecessary bad rap on modern diesel engines.

I wonder if the tuning they are talking about exists in US?
That vehicle is tuned for the DPF. You have to retune it without the DPF to see real gains.

You have to ask why wouldn't an engine perform better when the exhaust can flow more freely... that show is an advert for chip tuning. And here's something we all know...

Sponsored