Sponsored

Doors Off Driving Just Impractical?

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 Door Sport S, 2021 Gladiator 80th
I am a motorcycle guy, have owned a few Samurai/Tracker/Sidekicks and a couple of roadsters.
I thought I had my expectations in check.

I was taken back by how much wind/buffeting I got when I took the top off my new JL with the doors off and also with doors on and windows down.
Reasonably calm days are ok, but with side winds its surprisingly blustery.
Sponsored

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I'm pretty sure it would be illegal for your wife to drive the Jeep while she's fully naked. Most places have indecency laws.
We have to see pics of the wife to decide how indecent it is. Maybe it's really really decent??? :)

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
Anyways, as a long time convertible guy, I was surprised at how blustery the Jeep ISN'T. It's pretty calm in there all things considered. Yeah, if there's a cross wind, you'll feel it, but other than that...

My other convertible has a very upright windshield, so you feel pretty exposed, just like in the Jeep (albeit with doors). Most convertibles these days have steeply raked windshields, and you sit almost under the header bar, so you get little effect of being topless. It's nice the Jeep is more upright so you're more out there, even though you do have the "sport bar" and likely the door frames blocking the view a bit.

TXRobD

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Toyota Tacoma, 2018 JLUR Sting Gray
Ran it full naked 3.5 hrs one way 1hr stop then back home all @ 75-85mph down interstate with radio blasting one of the best trips I have taken. Hat will get sketchy when passing 18 wheelers or strong cross wind gust, but you don't get sleepy at all :rock:

Jeep newb warning the sun did kick my butt sunscreen was added to the Jeep kit after that.:sun:
Spiderweb shade is awesome. I get enough sun already so I love having shade while in the Jeep.

OP
OP
JeepDave

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
Thank you for all the lovely answers, I’m so glad I asked.

To recap, any blast of wind no matter how severe is tolerable in a doorless, topless Wrangler because:

A. Motorcycles

B. World War II - (although, I wonder if grandpa was concerned with how hard it was for the other soldiers to get in the back seats, or if he had enough room for all his cargo & soccer gear, or if he wanted a sturdier top so it was more cozy in the winter time, or to cut down on the WWII road noise a little or to keep it more secure so the Germans couldn’t take his stuff...did he say anything about the steering?)

C. Ice Cream tastes good

D. Ponytails, especially braided

E. Loud Music

F. You can buy a car with doors and a roof

G. The 2 year old didn’t say anything

H. It’s called “Naked”

So there you have it, all very good reasons there’s no problem there.

But seriously it was probably the windy days because it was fine driving straight into the wind or if the road was protected by houses or trees. Crossing open fields with a cross wind was the issue. I’ll not give up on doorless just yet.

Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
The premium experience is 2 door JL with premium soft top, take sides off leave top up in safari mode. Roll up windows on highway.

Next step is half doors, I live near coast and its hot at day, but every night cold ocean fog comes in, I think half door would let me keep a heated bubble going.

In any event Safari mode is amazing, and I run it for 8 months out of the year

suzookus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I take it you’re not a motorcycle guy either.
I wear a helmet on my bikes. Wind isn’t an issue with a helmet.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase

chadc880

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
You know, Maybe its not you and not the Jeep but maybe it is where you live. You need to move. You need to move to a beach area or Caribbean Island where the speed limit is 35mph.

Just like riding a motorcycle. Rode for several years year round. Riding was a blast through the mountains and on the back country roads but getting on the highway was a btch and I hated it. Did one cross state trip. One time. Not again unless it would be a large goldwing cruiser.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Sunshade helps, I didn't think I would like one, but it still lets a lot of sun through, I have the Rugged Ridge one, full shade was $69 for my JLU, I am contemplating getting a more expensive custom one made now that I have had one on and experienced it. Or maybe have something printed onto the RR one.

Sponsored

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for all the lovely answers, I’m so glad I asked.

To recap, any blast of wind no matter how severe is tolerable in a doorless, topless Wrangler because:

A. Motorcycles

B. World War II - (although, I wonder if grandpa was concerned with how hard it was for the other soldiers to get in the back seats, or if he had enough room for all his cargo & soccer gear, or if he wanted a sturdier top so it was more cozy in the winter time, or to cut down on the WWII road noise a little or to keep it more secure so the Germans couldn’t take his stuff...did he say anything about the steering?)

C. Ice Cream tastes good

D. Ponytails, especially braided

E. Loud Music

F. You can buy a car with doors and a roof

G. The 2 year old didn’t say anything

H. It’s called “Naked”

So there you have it, all very good reasons there’s no problem there.

But seriously it was probably the windy days because it was fine driving straight into the wind or if the road was protected by houses or trees. Crossing open fields with a cross wind was the issue. I’ll not give up on doorless just yet.
Honestly, it's how these vehicles are. Nothing blocks any type of wind from the side, and buffeting does happen. I don't have nearly the issue you seem to be having with hats, though. If you're wearing a one size fits all hat, that might be the issue. Those don't hold as well.

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I wear a helmet on my bikes. Wind isn’t an issue with a helmet.
You must ride a sport bike and wear a full face then because and 1/2 helmet certainly grabs the wind .. wither that or you have a fairing on your cruiser ,,

Columbus104

First Name
Kurtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Moab (white)
Here's what you're doing wrong. You need to put the windshield down also, and drive faster. At around 70mph, no doors, no top, windshield down, you experience this perfect little air pocket of tranquility. Try it! And please post a video of this experiment...

OP
OP
JeepDave

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
Honestly, it's how these vehicles are. Nothing blocks any type of wind from the side, and buffeting does happen. I don't have nearly the issue you seem to be having with hats, though. If you're wearing a one size fits all hat, that might be the issue. Those don't hold as well.
I probably didn’t do a good job of saying how windy it was those days, it gets terribly windy around here, flat land & open fields. Anyway my hats are mostly fitted ones that feel right, wore a tight fitting one that second time and it would have been gone. It was even moving my eyeglasses that day.

Onyx Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1999 Xj, 2001 Trans Am
Vehicle Showcase
I probably didn’t do a good job of saying how windy it was those days, it gets terribly windy around here, flat land & open fields. Anyway my hats are mostly fitted ones that feel right, wore a tight fitting one that second time and it would have been gone. It was even moving my eyeglasses that day.
I'm originally from the Chicago area. I get the whole wind thing :)
Sponsored