Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
I don't understand anyone who doesn't love the wider open drive. It's one of the things that makes the Jeep so amazing.
I love it for sure. But, there are occasions such as strong cross winds that make it less enjoyable for certain. I have experienced it recently and the cross winds literally took my breath away. I had to turn my head inward to breath, it was not fun.
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I love it for sure. But, there are occasions such as strong cross winds that make it less enjoyable for certain. I have experienced it recently and the cross winds literally took my breath away. I had to turn my head inward to breath, it was not fun.
Yeah we rarely get wind like that in the NW except for maybe in the gorge.

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
My hat has only actually flown off once and I thankfully caught it.

I remember before I rode a motorcycle for the first time people would say "man be careful driving next to semis, the cross wind will make you go down (yada yada)". It freaked me out till I started riding and I thought "what were they even talking about". Yeah, it gets a little windy on the highway, but none of it is bad. The longest drive I did with the Jeep fully naked was about 6 hours and besides a little sun burn on my knee it was a blast. Easily could have just worn pants or sun screen.

Sponsored

Bejer

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Sport Firecracker Red
"doors off" sunglasses are all I ever wear.
I buy tinted safety glasses, 3 pack off Amazon for like 15 bucks and they protect your eyes from flying stuff. I just keep an extra in the center console so if they get lost I’m covered.

Wapiti

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Keeping the freedom panels on helps, as does some comfortable ear plugs. The lower the NRR the better; all you need to do is keep the wind out of your ears. You'll be surprised how much less fatigued you'll feel after trip at hwy speeds with some cheap plugs.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Has anyone driven a naked JL and JLU? I do not experience what you guys are talking about in my 2dr. It’s windy at 80MPH, but pleasantly so. Maybe the aerodynamics are different?

Or, maybe it’s climate. CT summers are hot and humid, but rarely windy so the only wind I’m getting is from driving.

Curious.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
I don't understand anyone who doesn't love the wide open drive. It's one of the things that makes the Jeep so amazing.
My wife bought her Recon two months ago and we have not taken the top or doors off it yet. She did remove the Freedom panels one day but put them back on the next day.

The reason is her Jeep is also her DD and where she works it's not a good idea to leave the doors unlocked, much less not have any doors on it. If she takes a week vacation or something and it's not going to rain then we might remove those things during that time but not otherwise.

YJdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ 4.0, 2021 JL Willys Sport
I know this is old, but I ended up here because I just bought a new two door JL after years in my beloved YJ... I'm always naked in both and I will say the wind is MUCH more pleasant in the YJ. I believe the main reason is because their is just no place for the wind to go when it hits the crammed in seats of the JL. Wind can blow around and under the YJ seats, but not the JL. Kids get lots of turbulence in the back of the YJ, but hardly any in the back of the JL. If riding solo, I've found that rocking the JL passenger seat forward will allow the wind to escape to the rear area and drastically reduce the crazy, unpredictable wind that blows your glasses off.

I do believe it's more of an issue with naked two-door JL's..... Which I've seen fewer of all year than the number of ball busting comments I've just read.

theory2

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
They make a small cord with alligator clamps at both ends for boaters to prevent hat loss. Get one of those, clip your hat to your shirt collar
Sponsored