Doors Off Driving Just Impractical?

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
First Jeep, had it since November. I was looking forward to stripping it down and doing as much top-down, doors off driving as possible in the nicer months, bought some mirrors and am ready to go. I've had the doors off twice now and the problem is the wind effects. I basically can't go anywhere from my house without getting on roads that you'd typically drive 50+ MPH. So of course I expected some 'wind in your hair' type stuff, but first time out, the wind got so bad it felt like my hat was going to blow off. So OK, I thought I wore the wrong hat, need a tighter hat. I have one so I'll wear that one. Next time out, with the tighter hat, wind felt like it would blow that one off too, and even it was so bad it felt like my eye-glasses were going to blow too. So I'm driving down the road, sitting on my hat holding my eyeglasses with one hand, steering with the other, manual transmission - that's a no go. To be fair, they both were somewhat windy days, but still. So is that how it goes, you really can't do those speeds without the doors? Or was it just bad weather for it, keep trying? Thanks for your advice.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepDave

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I take it you’re not a motorcycle guy either.
No, never been on one.

So you're saying I am underestimating the wind effects? Shouldn't expect to wear a hat & maybe put a croakey on the glasses?

hrhnick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I wear a baseball hat almost 24/7, but when I’m in the Jeep, even with the doors on and just the sun rider flipped back I tuck my hat in the back seat.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I wold suggest getting half doors or tube doors that have a net or mesh as well add a J-top or Alien mesh top, that will give you more of a windows down feeling. Also if you just had the doors off with top on keep in mind that wind that comes in will eddy off the back window/walls causing swirling or unstable air. Even my Infinity G37 convertible hats can be problematic at high speeds depending how high you sit.

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beat up old VW Passat
... So you're saying I am underestimating the wind effects? ...
50+mph wind will knock you over if you don't have good balance, so yeah its going to take a sail off your head and anything else that isn't secured.

OP
OP
JeepDave

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wear a baseball hat almost 24/7, but when I’m in the Jeep, even with the doors on and just the sun rider flipped back I tuck my hat in the back seat.
I wold suggest getting half doors or tube doors that have a net or mesh as well add a J-top or Alien mesh top, that will give you more of a windows down feeling. Also if you just had the doors off with top on keep in mind that wind that comes in will eddy off the back window/walls causing swirling or unstable air. Even my Infinity G37 convertible hats can be problematic at high speeds depending how high you sit.
OK, thanks. Top was down too. I was planning on adding half doors at some point.
So the hat has to go at higher speeds.

OP
OP
JeepDave

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50+mph wind will knock you over if you don't have good balance, so yeah its going to take a sail off your head and anything else that isn't secured.
I guess my frame of reference was from boating experience. A motor boat I had would max out around 50 mph but didn't do that too often. Hats were always fine out on the water...

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I turn my hat around backwards and haven’t had an issue. I was running 75 yesterday with the front doors and freedom panels off - hat stayed on. There is definitely wind buffeting when you’re running in a cross wind but I’ve ridden a naked motorcycle for years, so I’m used to wind.

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Ironic topic...a week after getting our jl, I removed doors & top and took my wife on a casual date. We had to get on the interstate for 10 miles and the wind was rough and our ears started hurting. On the ride back home, my wife sat in the backseat and ducked behind my chair to get away from the wind. Needless to say, she wont be doing that again. :CWL:

Last edited: