Sponsored

Doors off?

NJ_JL 2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Unlimited S
So picked up my first jeep a few weeks ago. Looking to get the doors off but having trouble with the electrical connector for the front doors. I don't want to break it! I can push the red tab down but still can't swing the white clip away. Looking at YouTube videos but not helping. Any tricks to pulling this off safely? Thanks.

I plan to pick up a side mirror but anyone have issues driving on side streets in NJ and the police giving you a hard time with doors off / and no mirror?
Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i had my driver side get stuck and it felt like it was going to break. i just pulled the connector up and then pulled the white bar down. might have to jiggle it a bit. it will go

Mattk11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Rubicon
Just pull the white plastic lever. It can feel difficult to do, but will eventually give way and won't break. Maybe reseat it and wiggle it a bit before you try.

Sponsored

TBONE1997

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
There’s a tab to push down on while lifting the white lever.
Like Chris said, there is a good pic of this tab in the owners manual in the front of the book. Once you find it, pretty easy.

JB4818

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon; 2022 Ram 1500 Rebel
Vehicle Showcase
I use a plastic trim removal tool to move the lever when it is being difficult.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
But be careful, the pins can get bent or pull out if not done correctly.

And everybody knows NJ police don't write traffic tickets. :surprised: I sure wouldn't risk driving without mirrors, could be pretty expensive.

OP
OP

NJ_JL 2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Unlimited S
yes looking for side mirrors!

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
yes looking for side mirrors!
Most states only require one rear facing mirror, but NJ is one of the ones that require an inside and driver's side outside mirror.

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2013/title-39/section-39-3-71/

I recommend the CMM (Carolina Metal Masters) mirrors. They are expensive, but the best on the market IMO. The only thing I will say about them is to install them on the bottom of the grab handles, not the top. I think the positioning with this installation is better.

Technically they (and I think almost all doors off mirros) are not DOT compliant, so don't go rolling up to your auto inspection with the doors off, but they should take care of any cops eager to write a ticket for no mirrors.

Sponsored

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
Correct. Black plastic tab directly underneath the center of the bottom of the white lever. Press it in and the lever releases with ease.
Learn something new every day.

I’ve had a heck of a time with this harness every time I take the doors off.

sabharad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I posted this in another thread... but, do you have a Tazer installed? If not I highly recommend one.
One of the many awesome Tazer settings is the ability to have the backup camera turn on when you use your turn signal. This works great as the backup camera is more of a wide angle.
Because of this, I never opted/needed to get side mirrors.

Mattk11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Rubicon
I ordered the CMM mirrors and locks two weeks ago but still no notice of shipping. They don’t answer the phone or emails so I assume they are just killing aluminum all day.

skipstar

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
I have the CMM mirrors and I absolutely love them. Yes they took a little bit to ship out but they are worth the wait. They did respond to my emails and also offered me 10% off the purchase when I ordered them. I also mounted them on the bottom of the grab handle and not the top.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I plan to pick up a side mirror but anyone have issues driving on side streets in NJ and the police giving you a hard time with doors off / and no mirror?
Welcome aboard from a fellow NJ driver! About 25 years ago, my buddy and I were driving in his lifted YJ and we had taken the doors off. He had side mirrors mounted off the windshield frame, so it was legal. We got a bit lost, and had to turn around in a parking lot. There was an officer there, saw we were cruising with no doors, and promptly pulled us over. The conversation was -

PO - "Sir, where are your doors?"
Buddy - "In my garage? I have side mirrors mounted, so I don't need doors."
PO - puzzled look on his face
Buddy - "Sir, do you want to see my stability papers?"
PO - more confusion, then, "No, that's OK. Thank you guys, have a good night."

Way back then, you needed stability papers to prove your lifted vehicle could pass a tilt test and be safe (when NJ cared about "vehicle safety" LOL). He was a young guy and probably didn't know any of this stuff so he let us go.

Fast forward to recently - we drove my wife's JLU a couple of times without mirrors. We never got pulled over, but we're in our late 40's so they're not usually looking to bust us old timers LOL. I found a cheap pair on Craigslist and use them on my JL when we take the doors off mine.

Good luck and happy cruising!
Sponsored