Doorless Mirrors?

jdonoho75

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S 4-Dr
^^^^That's a pretty cool thing as well. I'm new to the Jeep world, but looking for solutions to the crappy Amazon mirrors that vibrate even at 20mph and forget about 45mph+. Been thinking about the Peg/Mirror combo pieces I've seen, but figured I'd try something to avoid using the hinges in case I get some tubulars without mirrors. So many choices. lol Trying the Ram mount type solutions currently. Contacted Doubletake today and they said they will have a "Jeep Kit" soon and you could order via email (or call maybe?) with them as it's not on the site yet. Think it's just the Ram base with proper screw lengths, but not sure. But, more importantly I just thought I'd pass along the coupon code 'JLJEEP' for 10% off (hadn't noticed a code in the thread anyway).
Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
^^^^That's a pretty cool thing as well. I'm new to the Jeep world, but looking for solutions to the crappy Amazon mirrors that vibrate even at 20mph and forget about 45mph+. Been thinking about the Peg/Mirror combo pieces I've seen, but figured I'd try something to avoid using the hinges in case I get some tubulars without mirrors. So many choices. lol Trying the Ram mount type solutions currently. Contacted Doubletake today and they said they will have a "Jeep Kit" soon and you could order via email (or call maybe?) with them as it's not on the site yet. Think it's just the Ram base with proper screw lengths, but not sure. But, more importantly I just thought I'd pass along the coupon code 'JLJEEP' for 10% off (hadn't noticed a code in the thread anyway).
Cool they threw a discount code on with it. And that they are putting the kit together. I would have thrown it up sooner but they didnt let me know there was one haha. Oh well glad they have it now!

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I'd avoid the peg/mirror combo. The Ram mount is popular and also a good decision, along with the Lange Coyote & Motor City mirrors. The Lange mirrors are convex and mount to cowl so you can run with tube doors. Motor City's mount to the window hinge.

I'm a fan of the Lange mirrors... they don't vibrate and are also fairly popular. If I was a responsible forum member, I'd have posted a picture... but you're sure to find some here.

jhale1800

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Crown Victoria, 2011 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, 2017 Mazda3
I had intended to do the typical side mounted ball for the Doubletake Adventure mirror.
I was rummaging through my RAM parts and remembered I had a clamp that I had bought for mounting a GPS on rental or demo bikes.

It works perfectly to clamp to the grab handle.
Its higher than the side ball mount and I think provided a better view.
In fact I am really impressed with the field of vision of this mirror, it does not seem like a lessor option compared to the regular ones.

I also fear the mirror getting stolen so I remove it when I go to places like walmart.
This set up "holds" the position so taking on & off with just the clamp does not require realigning the mirror.
I like that I can also adjust the mirror from my normal seated position if needed.

20190727_153227.jpg
20190727_153236.jpg

20190729_182407.jpg
Looks like the RAM Tough Claw. There are 3 sizes, small, medium, and large. Do you happen to remember what size you have, and are you happy with that size, or would you go up or down?
https://www.rammount.com/search?query=tough+claw

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 Door Sport S, 2021 Gladiator 80th
Looks like the RAM Tough Claw. There are 3 sizes, small, medium, and large. Do you happen to remember what size you have, and are you happy with that size, or would you go up or down?
https://www.rammount.com/search?query=tough+claw
Yup, its the Tough Claw and it is the small size w/ 1" ball.
I don't think I would want it any bigger for this use.

That said, I have had times it was too small for other things I have tried it on, like the passenger side dash grab rail.

Sponsored

jdonoho75

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd avoid the peg/mirror combo. The Ram mount is popular and also a good decision, along with the Lange Coyote & Motor City mirrors. The Lange mirrors are convex and mount to cowl so you can run with tube doors. Motor City's mount to the window hinge.

I'm a fan of the Lange mirrors... they don't vibrate and are also fairly popular. If I was a responsible forum member, I'd have posted a picture... but you're sure to find some here.
Yeah, I thought about the Lange, but they were backordered most places I searched. The Ram mount/Doubletake setup seems to be great as well. I may switch to Lange at some point if my mirrors get stolen or fall off, etc. I'm not sure I'm into the constant removal even though it wouldn't be that hard to twist...it's just the pain of getting them lined up again...especially that passenger side. lol I've thought about switching out the twist knob on the Ram arms to just use a nut or something, so it's not quite as enticing to unscrew for passers-by. lol

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I thought about the Lange, but they were backordered most places I searched. The Ram mount/Doubletake setup seems to be great as well. I may switch to Lange at some point if my mirrors get stolen or fall off, etc. I'm not sure I'm into the constant removal even though it wouldn't be that hard to twist...it's just the pain of getting them lined up again...especially that passenger side. lol I've thought about switching out the twist knob on the Ram arms to just use a nut or something, so it's not quite as enticing to unscrew for passers-by. lol
The Lange mirrors have quick-release screws. What I did after I positioned the mirrors was, with a paint marker, place a small dot on the mount and at the base of the arm that holds the mirror. When I put the mirrors back on, I line up the dots, and placement is just as I left it. Voilá...no readjusting or fuddling with the mirrors.

Punk'n Head

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl Sport
Doubletake now has the Jeep kit on their website for anyone interested. $124 plus 7 for shipping. i just ordered mine. hope they dont vibrate like the hinge mount mirrors do lol.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Doubletake now has the Jeep kit on their website for anyone interested. $124 plus 7 for shipping. i just ordered mine. hope they dont vibrate like the hinge mount mirrors do lol.
Glad they got the set up on the website now

jdonoho75

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They wanted me add this coupon code to the forum. I'd guess good until end of Sept. 10%JEEPTHROUGHSEPT2019

Sponsored

dazar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
They wanted me add this coupon code to the forum. I'd guess good until end of Sept. 10%JEEPTHROUGHSEPT2019
Doubletake also shared that discount code with me yesterday and I confirmed their Jeep Ball Kit comes with the shorter 45MM/1.75" bolt that is needed. I ordered and went with 2" Ram arms. I will post pictures once installed. Thanks for all of the good suggestions!

dazar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My balls dropped today. I used heat shrink to cover the stainless steel shaft.

DD5219BA-E80A-43DC-9177-F5017E65FE97.jpeg

0CD25014-4880-4362-B2E5-DF25D7DA7C47.jpeg

374D717B-0F58-4FCD-80B3-33F5E638432E.jpeg

81E005D3-BAB5-4FC0-88CB-93A34CCB6E91.jpeg
You mentioned using "Heat Shrink" to cover the stainless steel shaft. Can I just get Heat Shrink at Home Depot? Is there a certain size I need? I apologize, I feel this is something I should know, but I haven't used heat shrink before. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Punk'n Head

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jl Sport
Damit they gave me a 5%code. ohwell. they came yesterday put the left side on no problem. Put the right side on fought with it for 2 hours to get the damn thing adjusted and its still not right. either way they do look good. may end up getting the midlength arm for the right side. see how that goes.

dazar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Doubletake also shared that discount code with me yesterday and I confirmed their Jeep Ball Kit comes with the shorter 45MM/1.75" bolt that is needed. I ordered and went with 2" Ram arms. I will post pictures once installed. Thanks for all of the good suggestions!
Here are pictures with the short 2" Ram arms (raining in MI today, so had to take pics in the garage). I am very happy with the mirrors, but the 3" Ram arm may be better for the passenger side.

IMG-6355.JPG

IMG-6354.JPG

dazar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Damit they gave me a 5%code. ohwell. they came yesterday put the left side on no problem. Put the right side on fought with it for 2 hours to get the damn thing adjusted and its still not right. either way they do look good. may end up getting the midlength arm for the right side. see how that goes.
I am not sure if this will help, but thought I would share. I had my wife help me get passenger mirror aligned. Later when she was not home, I had to remove the mirror. Before I removed it, I noticed when I stood next to the Jeep, by the door pillar - the mirror seemed to be centered in on the center console. When I put the mirror back on I tried to get it back to that same point and it worked well. With that said, the 3" Ram arm on the passenger side may work better.
Sponsored