Permanent Doorless Mirrors

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
I am looking for a solution to my doors off situation. I bought the JPeggz and love them, but there seems to be an issue with it knocked the lower door hinge out of alignment after just a day use. I have to constantly loosen and readjust the hinge so that the door sits level and I can use the door nuts (or they won't go in).

I have been looking at retrofitting these https://www.quadratec.com/products/13125_0220_07.htm

But I want to be cautious just in case there are any structural bits or pieces I should avoid. The idea is to have permanent mirrors on the Jeep in order to have less too when removing the doors

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
This question is definitely not in my "wheel house."

I will say this. These guys are soon (days from now) to release their roof rack: a unique design that slides, fully cantilevered, to either side of the rig (JK and JL) to provide access to taking off/down a hard/soft top.

It will involve drilling in two places, one the cowl: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-sliding-roof-rack.14805/page-9#post-760838

You might want to wait to see how they do it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OldJupiter

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
This question is definitely not in my "wheel house."

I will say this. These guys are soon (days from now) to release their roof rack: a unique design that slides, fully cantilevered, to either side of the rig (JK and JL) to provide access to taking off/down a hard/soft top.

It will involve drilling in two places, one the cowl: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-sliding-roof-rack.14805/page-9#post-760838

You might want to wait to see how they do it.

Wow! Thank you for the information! I will update on my findings.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
OP
OP
OldJupiter

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
I forgot to mention the Gobi rack also, if not drills into the cowl, uses hardware that attaches to points inside.

This rack https://www.gobiracks.com/product/gobi-jeep-wrangler-jl-4door-stealth-rack-40-led-setup/ and beginning on page 5 of its instructions https://www.gobiracks.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Untitled-2.pdf show more detail. :)
This is perfect. I think I'm going to bite the bullet. Take one for the team, and post it up on here for reference.

Invaluable help! Thank you.

Sponsored

OP
OP
OldJupiter

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
Well, now I just need to wait for them to arrive. I'll update on success rate once I get them and go over logistics.

I think I'll need 4 rivet nuts to get them situated and all I will need is to measure for the right alignment.

SmartSelect_20190810-140841_Gmail.jpg

OP
OP
OldJupiter

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
They are here. The drilling park looks easy. They're pretty light. Now I just have to figure out the door situation. I'll update as best as I can.

View attachment 214511

20190813_192118.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Here's another alternative for mirrors on "doors off days ". I made cardboard templates, a pattern for steel plates that use horizontal cowl bolts. Tapped threads for mirror brackets, welded nut on backside for insurance. They use Quadratec mirrors that are easy on/ off.
The bracket is also the mount for the vertical tubing on my DIY Jerry Can Carrier, not on passenger side at this time.

IMG_20190811_143001590_resized.jpg

OP
OP
OldJupiter

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
Well here we are ladies and gentlemen. I did it! No more carrying or setting up mirrors for doors off days. The cowl is plastic so it was fairly easy to drill through.

Thank you @four low
Thank you @Rahneld

You're right about welding that too bolt. I put these on tonight. Took about 1.5 hours to get it all situated. I'll upload with more pictures tomorrow. Right now they're solid. The door opens with more weight too it, but not that much. There is some flex right now but 0 bending or warping. I'll reenforce it tomorrow with some black gorilla tape to test out on the highway. I'll make sure to upload about how I'll secure them later. I figure for now a few neatly cut pieces of weather proof tape will work. I covered the door mirror hole with black vinyl for now. I'll also find something to attach there. The pieces for to cover the door only fit the JK and will not align with the factory holes. Some slight vibration right now only when going over bumps. I'll see how it is with the duct tape and when I find a permanent solution. The thing about the tape it it won't show in the door with these mirrors since it covers that entire spot. Also the mirrors actually rest on the black trip and the window weather guards I have not affecting the paint.

Worse case scenario I buy some new cowl armor for 25 bucks and cover up the holes or buy replacement cowl prices at $120 for the set.

All in all. Door off days will be many while the weather permits.

@Quadratec how about we get something to cover up the gap when we move the mirrors like this?

20190814_222225.jpg

20190814_202846.jpg

20190814_202920.jpg

20190814_205937.jpg

20190814_221549.jpg

20190814_221602.jpg

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Well here we are ladies and gentlemen. I did it! No more carrying or setting up mirrors for doors off days. The cowl is plastic so it was fairly easy to drill through.

Thank you @four low
Thank you @Rahneld

You're right about welding that too bolt. I put these on tonight. Took about 1.5 hours to get it all situated. I'll upload with more pictures tomorrow. Right now they're solid. The door opens with more weight too it, but not that much. There is some flex right now but 0 bending or warping. I'll reenforce it tomorrow with some black gorilla tape to test out on the highway. I'll make sure to upload about how I'll secure them later. I figure for now a few neatly cut pieces of weather proof tape will work. I covered the door mirror hole with black vinyl for now. I'll also find something to attach there. The pieces for to cover the door only fit the JK and will not align with the factory holes. Some slight vibration right now only when going over bumps. I'll see how it is with the duct tape and when I find a permanent solution. The thing about the tape it it won't show in the door with these mirrors since it covers that entire spot. Also the mirrors actually rest on the black trip and the window weather guards I have not affecting the paint.

Worse case scenario I buy some new cowl armor for 25 bucks and cover up the holes or buy replacement cowl prices at $120 for the set.

All in all. Door off days will be many while the weather permits.

@Quadratec how about we get something to cover up the gap when we move the mirrors like this?

20190814_222225.jpg

20190814_202846.jpg

20190814_202920.jpg

20190814_205937.jpg

20190814_221549.jpg

20190814_221602.jpg
I'm assuming the mirror needs to be pushed out before the door opens?

Sponsored

OP
OP
OldJupiter

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
I'm assuming the mirror needs to be pushed out before the door opens?
Nope. The doors open without issue or touching the paint.

I have a Sport btw. This made things a bit easier for me than others. Manual doors and windows on a 2 Door.

Last edited:

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Nope. The doors open with issue or touching the paint.

I have a Sport btw. This made things a bit easier for me than others. Manual doors and windows on a 2 Door.
Guess it's an illusion. Looks like the door will open right into mirror from here. Good on you.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
lol, nice. JK mirrors on a JL. They look cooler anyway. Bummer you lose your power mirrors though!

OP
OP
OldJupiter

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
@Kyanche I never had the power mirrors so it was no big deal.
@Blu bi Kong I cover the hole with a black piece of vinyl. You can see it when the door is on since the mirrors hinge all the way out.

And again it they do not run the paint!

20190815_065747.jpg

20190815_065754.jpg
Sponsored