Sponsored

Door Lock Button Requires Multiple Presses

warc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2dr JL Rubicon, 2016 Corvette Z06
What's normal for the operation of these door handle buttons? Mine will occasionally lock the first time I press the button after closing the door, but that's rare. The vast majority of times, I have to wait around 5 seconds after closing the door before a button press is recognized. In that 5 seconds, I can mash the button over and over and the doors will not lock. Is this an issue or just the way it works?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@warc1
I can press right away. Works first try, everytime.

OP
OP
warc1

warc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@warc1
I can press right away. Works first try, everytime.
Do you have proximity keyless? I'm guessing, but it seems like the system may be taking time to confirm the fob has not been left inside the vehicle so it won't accidentally be locked in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
warc1

warc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had my dealer look at this when I had it in for steering issues (fortunately fixed). Service tech took seven presses over five seconds before the driver's door would lock. Same on other doors. The tech then said this is perfectly normal and his son's Chrysler 300 operates exactly the same.

I don't buy it. Can anyone with the proximity keyless option confirm that their door handle lock buttons work with one press?

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
My wifeā€™s JL locks in one press, any enabled door. My JL is usually the third try when getting out and using the driverā€™s side, which is about ~5sec on the third press. The way I park at work has me walking around to the tailgate and by the time I get there it will lock on one press, so thatā€™s the majority of my parking and locking and I have started that habit now. Maybe a software mod will come out that resolves it.

Sponsored

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
Had my dealer look at this when I had it in for steering issues (fortunately fixed). Service tech took seven presses over five seconds before the driver's door would lock. Same on other doors. The tech then said this is perfectly normal and his son's Chrysler 300 operates exactly the same.

I don't buy it. Can anyone with the proximity keyless option confirm that their door handle lock buttons work with one press?
I don't have the proximity option but if I did and if it took 5 seconds to lock, I'd find that totally unacceptable. I've had several vehicles with keyless proximity entry (since 2004) and none of them had any noticeable lag.

Jeepcity

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl rubicon tj rubicon yj cj 8 cj 7 cherokee
what did they do to correct your steering?

SandBucket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR; 2017 Subaru Outback; 1999 TJ Sport (traded-in)
You probably already know this BUT make sure you arenā€™t holding the handle when you press the lock button. Just press the lock button with one extended finger. If you do it while holding the handle and pressing with your thumb the Jeep doesnā€™t know if you are trying to lock or unlock it.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You don't happen to have the second key fob tucked away in the vehicle do you? My proximity entry works great with the rare exception of opening the doors in the rain where there is sometimes a few seconds (2-5 max) where it doesn't recognize the touch.

tjeeper

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 TJ, '24 392
As stated above, the lock doesn't work if you put your hand behind the handle. Learned that the hard way. Mine also has issues if I have the FOB in my backpack and my backpack on my back. Sometimes I have to swing my backpack in front of me for the Jeep to recognize it.

Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
Most people complain and never see what the issue maybe, if you push the button and your fingers or on the door handle it may not work. Learn how to operate then complain. Push the button don't grab handle and push.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
ā€˜Merica
Most people complain and never see what the issue maybe, if you push the button and your fingers or on the door handle it may not work. Learn how to operate then complain. Push the button don't grab handle and push.
Umm yeah. Complaint here. I read about that before we took ownership of our first JL this year back in April, which works perfectly. The second JL we got in September does not function the sameā€”it has a delay. I know how it works and I have an example of one that does and one that doesnā€™t work as some advertise. Same locking method applied in both cases.

OP
OP
warc1

warc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I am aware of the fact that you cannot lock the door using the exterior buttons with your hand wrapped around the handle. I just press my thumb on the button with no other contact on the handle and the issue occurs. My second fob is not with my vehicle, so that's not the issue.

My best guess remains what I wrote in my second post in this thread. I think the sensitivity for the sensor detecting whether your fob is still in the vehicle when locking is set too high. It seems to be taking a long time to confirm that the fob is indeed outside of the vehicle.

As a test, I threw my fob onto the driver's seat when parked at my condo and tried the door locking buttons. The behaviour is the same as during the 5 second it takes to lock normally. I can mash the door lock button and nothing happens. Where my Vette honks the horn twice to let me know the fob is inside, the JL is silent and there are no other indicators of why locking is blocked.

It's an irritant more than anything else, but it pisses me off that I paid extra for proximity keyless and I still have to manually press the fob if I want it to lock instantly. I'll have another tech take another look next time it goes in for service, but I'm not hopeful.

OP
OP
warc1

warc1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

tablerock

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017Viper,2012Ram,3Corvettes,2 Street Rods,2019 2Door Wrangler
My door locks seem to work fine Except- my left knee keeps activating them!!!! [Poor location for the switch !!! ]
Sponsored