Door Hinge Chipping

YYC_Rubicon

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4-door
Has anyone had any luck having Jeep warranty the paint on the door hinges due to chips? I have a ‘20 rubicon and have been trying to keep up with touch up paint but every time I fill a chip, two more seem to take its place. I have installed RolBlokz which seem to have helped with the front door hinges but the backs still take a beating.
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Slightly off-topic:

My daughter installed a JLU-specific hinge clear bra (<$50). They've been commercial carwashed and powerwashed - still 100% secure. She did the entirety of the rears and barrel only on the fronts. She said the trick to a bubble-free install is baby shampoo.

OP
OP
YYC_Rubicon

YYC_Rubicon

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Slightly off-topic:

My daughter installed a JLU-specific hinge clear bra (<$50). They've been commercial carwashed and powerwashed - still 100% secure. She did the entirety of the rears and barrel only on the fronts. She said the trick to a bubble-free install is baby shampoo.
Any idea where she ordered them from? If I can get the paint repaired I would definitely look into these to protect the paint.

OP
OP
YYC_Rubicon

YYC_Rubicon

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
I have seen the thread and been keeping an eye on the hinges for bubbling, at this time though I’m just having the issue with chipping so it seems to be a bit different of an issue.
Many of the posts I saw on the thread started with bubbling and ended with chipped or flaking paint.

Unless your situation has other unique variables, I'd think you'd serve yourself best by diving into the info on that thread for your answers.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Has anyone had any luck having Jeep warranty the paint on the door hinges due to chips?
Paint chips on the door hinges are not a warranty item.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Any idea where she ordered them from? If I can get the paint repaired I would definitely look into these to protect the paint.
She said that the video was very helpful, but, as I said, the baby shampoo was the game-changer:

OP
OP
YYC_Rubicon

YYC_Rubicon

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Paint chips on the door hinges are not a warranty item.
The fact that the design of the vehicle left the hinges susceptible to normal than average damage combined with the lack of attempt by the manufacturer to prevent it is the reason for my asking about others involvements with similar issues. On top of that it seems to be mainly a Rubicon issue because of the high fender clearance.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

The fact that the design of the vehicle left the hinges susceptible to normal than average damage combined with the lack of attempt by the manufacturer to prevent it is the reason for my asking about others involvements with similar issues. On top of that it seems to be mainly a Rubicon issue because of the high fender clearance.
People have complained about door hinge chips even with the JK model. Yes, it sucks and I get what you’re saying but unfortunately it is not a warranty item.

Sponsored

FasEddy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
You can find the 3M pre-cut protection film at https://www.r3offroad.com/product-page/jeep-jl-door-hinge-protector-film (this is for the 4 door, you an also buy a 2 door set). I just installed them and, as rickinAZ said above, baby shampoo was key. They turned out great and, unless you are looking for them, you can't tell anything is covering the hinges.

I did end up with a few air bubbles. However, I found that I could "pop" the bubbles with a thin needle inserted almost parallel to the surface. You need to be very careful not to hit the paint.

OP
OP
YYC_Rubicon

YYC_Rubicon

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can find the 3M pre-cut protection film at https://www.r3offroad.com/product-page/jeep-jl-door-hinge-protector-film (this is for the 4 door, you an also buy a 2 door set). I just installed them and, as rickinAZ said above, baby shampoo was key. They turned out great and, unless you are looking for them, you can't tell anything is covering the hinges.

I did end up with a few air bubbles. However, I found that I could "pop" the bubbles with a thin needle inserted almost parallel to the surface. You need to be very careful not to hit the paint.
thanks for this!

Sjbiss

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon 4xe
She said that the video was very helpful, but, as I said, the baby shampoo was the game-changer:
Interesting, how exactly did she use the baby shampoo? Did she put in a spray bottle? If so, what ratio?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Interesting, how exactly did she use the baby shampoo? Did she put in a spray bottle? If so, what ratio?
I just asked her. She said that she used a small spray bottle, with a highly diluted solution. She said a drop per 4 oz, or so. [Seems like too little to me, but I didn't do the job]. I'd start there and add a drop or two if you need to to.

She started the job without the shampoo, was frustrated, switched to the shampoo, and it was a game-changer.

4,000 miles later, numerous car (and power) washes, and there isn't so much as a corner peeled up.

FasEddy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I also used the baby shampoo/water mixture in a spray bottle and found that a little goes a long way. I first thought more would be better and the solution was too slick (the film slid around a lot when I tried to push the water out). While I don't remember my exact ratio, one drop per 4oz sounds about right. I was able to get a good balance that was forgiving but not too slippery.
Sponsored