First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Design
Took mine in a few weeks ago for pictures and nothing has been done yet. The dealer told me they sent the pictures and Jeep has said they have not received them yet :mad: still waiting to hear in the reimbursement for all the paint protection.
Mine is in the shop being repainted now. They are replacing the door panels, hood and rear gate. Unfortunately Jeep refused to cover the paint protection I had done as soon as it was delivered. They have had mine for four weeks now. Promised to be done this week.
Sponsored

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
So, I have a 19 JLUR, and I have 2 door hinges that are starting to bubble. Seems to be a pretty common thing based off of my research. My question is, how many of you have left it alone? I'm not a fan of repainting a vehicle. I'm covered for 5 years with unlimited miles. I'm thinking I should wait till it gets worse, or more areas start doing the same thing. I don't want the thing painted 20 different times. Plus, how fast does that really spread? I know rust can mover pretty fast, but how quickly does this spread? My next biggest problem, is no body shop near me is really setup for Aluminum. Should I take to an Audi body shop? They have a lot of experience with Aluminum, or at least take it to a Ford Certified body shop. Thoughts?
I had mine documented at the dealer when it was in for the D44 LSD knock. The body shop was backed up so they told me to reschedule when I could get it in. That was last spring. I decided to wait it out until after this winter and if it hasn't gotten any worse (which it looks like it isn't) I will probably just leave it. Don't want to break the factory paint or have a clown-car with mis-matched panels. Besides, some of those that have had it "repaired" have had it return!!! Build date was 9/18 and first started bubbling a little over a year old.

EvanH84

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
Mine is in the shop being repainted now. They are replacing the door panels, hood and rear gate. Unfortunately Jeep refused to cover the paint protection I had done as soon as it was delivered. They have had mine for four weeks now. Promised to be done this week.
It is such a joke. We pay all this money to protect it from damage and their garbage prep work screws us.

frostai

First Name
Tristani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
So, I have a 19 JLUR, and I have 2 door hinges that are starting to bubble. Seems to be a pretty common thing based off of my research. My question is, how many of you have left it alone? I'm not a fan of repainting a vehicle. I'm covered for 5 years with unlimited miles. I'm thinking I should wait till it gets worse, or more areas start doing the same thing. I don't want the thing painted 20 different times. Plus, how fast does that really spread? I know rust can mover pretty fast, but how quickly does this spread? My next biggest problem, is no body shop near me is really setup for Aluminum. Should I take to an Audi body shop? They have a lot of experience with Aluminum, or at least take it to a Ford Certified body shop. Thoughts?
Trust me it spreads fast. Mine had on the sides of the hood and even in the bottom of the passenger rear door, as well as some of the hinges. Fastest ones to spread were hood and door edges. Basically about ~5 square inches across the whole vehicle if I put it in area.
Have a whole post of the nightmare repaint on another thread.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/bubbles-in-paint-at-door-hinges.32756/page-53

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
little red 2021 JLR (Ruby J. L. Tudor)
Forgive me if I'm not keeping up with this issue. However, it appears that the worst of these problems involve FCA putting steel hinges on aluminum doors or hoods. In that context, GenRight carries billet aluminum replace meant hinges with stainless steel hardware (https://genright.com/products/billet-cnc-aluminum-door-hinges-for-jeep-wrangler-jl.html).

Has anyone tried these replacement hinges or does anyone know of a reason they wouldn't work. I'm thinking of getting them painted to match and installing them as a preemptive strike on the corrosion.

I know these replacement hinges are expensive and FCA really should fix the issue under warranty; but, really, how much time, effort, and agony is it worth to not have the corrosion start eating the door and to not have to deal with FCA?

Sponsored

cgagnon99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Forgive me if I'm not keeping up with this issue. However, it appears that the worst of these problems involve FCA putting steel hinges on aluminum doors or hoods. In that context, GenRight carries billet aluminum replace meant hinges with stainless steel hardware (https://genright.com/products/billet-cnc-aluminum-door-hinges-for-jeep-wrangler-jl.html).

Has anyone tried these replacement hinges or does anyone know of a reason they wouldn't work. I'm thinking of getting them painted to match and installing them as a preemptive strike on the corrosion.

I know these replacement hinges are expensive and FCA really should fix the issue under warranty; but, really, how much time, effort, and agony is it worth to not have the corrosion start eating the door and to not have to deal with FCA?
I think I'm going to take a bit more economical approach and preemptively prime where the hinge and door meets with some auto primer. It doesn't need to be pretty since it'll be covered but it should isolate the two metals. I plan on putting some copper antiseize on the bolts to further prevent anything.

I'm hoping that works, I'd rather do a little work now and not have rust show up later!

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I think I'm going to take a bit more economical approach and preemptively prime where the hinge and door meets with some auto primer. It doesn't need to be pretty since it'll be covered but it should isolate the two metals. I plan on putting some copper antiseize on the bolts to further prevent anything.

I'm hoping that works, I'd rather do a little work now and not have rust show up later!
If that doesnā€™t work will you have screwed up your warranty coverage? That would be my concern.

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay, JeepCares, on March 4, 2021, I suggested trying to stop this problem, FCA's galvanic corrosion problem, by spending my own money, in addition to what I already spent on the Jeep itself, to replace the steel hinges that FCA mounted on the aluminum doors with the billet aluminum replacement hinges with stainless steel hardware that GenRight developed as a solution to this problem, this problem that FCA created (https://genright.com/products/billet-cnc-aluminum-door-hinges-for-jeep-wrangler-jl.html).

Last Friday night, Windshieldfarmer asked "If that doesnā€™t work will you have screwed up your warranty coverage?" That would seem to be a good question given FCA's track record on so many warranty issues; but, since then, we haven't heard a peep from JeepCares or any other representative or outlet of FCA. Can we please get a definitive answer, not a secret or private answer but a public answer, to that question, one that FCA will stand behind?

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Okay, JeepCares, on March 4, 2021, I suggested trying to stop this problem, FCA's galvanic corrosion problem, by spending my own money, in addition to what I already spent on the Jeep itself, to replace the steel hinges that FCA mounted on the aluminum doors with the billet aluminum replacement hinges with stainless steel hardware that GenRight developed as a solution to this problem, this problem that FCA created (https://genright.com/products/billet-cnc-aluminum-door-hinges-for-jeep-wrangler-jl.html).

Last Friday night, Windshieldfarmer asked "If that doesnā€™t work will you have screwed up your warranty coverage?" That would seem to be a good question given FCA's track record on so many warranty issues; but, since then, we haven't heard a peep from JeepCares or any other representative or outlet of FCA. Can we please get a definitive answer, not a secret or private answer but a public answer, to that question, one that FCA will stand behind?
I am sorry we haven't been as active in this thread and others as of late, we had internal issues with messages not pulling in and have just recently begun reviewing older posts.

That said, if you are asking if a fix that you performed on your own or an aftermarket accessory will void your warranty, the answer is that I don't know. Unfortunately, I am not a trained technician, nor can I evaluate a customers concern over social media posts. That said, the only people qualified to make that assessment would be the dealer team. I apologize that I don't have a more definitive answer for you.

Kate
Jeep Cares

EvanH84

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara

It was my understanding that Jeep Cares is a customer service entity separate from Stellantis. I asked someone from the executive office what was being done to remedy the issue in production and no answer was given.

Sponsored

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Okay, Kate, thank you for your effort. I understand the limits to your ability to speak on this topic and your predicament and can't hold you at fault. But, I hope you understand how the situation might seem less than completely satisfying for Wrangler JL owners. Although they sure don't want it too openly discussed, FCA built the equivalent of a corrosion cancer into the vehicles it sold us. In a number of documented cases, multiple warranty efforts to stop its growth have not been fully successful. And, even when we try to come up with a solution on our own, all we get from the company is a taciturn reinforcement of a warning that they reserve the right to use our efforts as a justification to drop our warranty support.

Suspect

First Name
Franky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKR
Iā€™m really considering those genright hinges but this is also a problem for the hood and rear tailgate Iā€™ve heard. Sucks to drop money and have them painted just for the problem to pop up somewhere else
Sponsored