Sponsored

Does anyone actually like start-stop

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
See, that’s what I’m picturing will happen when I drive my manual. I’m going to freak that it’s stalled, then realize that it’s running, then follow that up with a bevy of vulgarity flowing from my mouth.
6mt won't turn off unless in neutral with the clutch disengaged. You would never feel like it could stall in this situation.
Sponsored

jman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A van and a boring car
After driving my new Highlander with this feature for the last couple days my opinion is it's fine and actually a good feature. In some ways I wish it couldn't be turned off because the gas savings globally would be massive. Good for everyone.

dwoodwo1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium, Granite
6mt won't turn off unless in neutral with the clutch disengaged. You would never feel like it could stall in this situation.
The first couple of times it happened I thought I had forgotten to put it in neutral when rolling to a stop. I am now used to it - no issues.

56nomad56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ocean Blue JLU Sahara
I live in Texas...it’s not THAT cold... don’t make comments inferring people don’t like it just because it’s new...or cool to not like this change. People have VALID reasons for not liking it. Don’t try to minimize my issue by saying it’s a simple fix. Don’t infer that I’m too lazy to turn it off....NOBODY wants to get in their jeep and hit multiple buttons every Time they drive.....that’s why people are already trying to find work-around....You probably work for some EPA program to push their emission agenda.
1) Don't be a hypocrite and make inferences of your own. If I was an eco-wenie working for the EPA, would I be shopping for a new JLUR for my son, or for a Highlander Hybrid?
2) Again, it's not that complicated. In fact, you can get in your Jeep, LEAVE IT ON, and not push any extra buttons. Save money. Save gas. Save the Earth, if that's your thing. Or you can push ONE button and turn it off. Never said you were lazy, only that the process is not like starting a Falcon 9 Heavy. I put my 435i into Sport Mode sometimes (one button), and it automatically turns off ESS. Really not that difficult.
3) These technologies are what allow car companies to keep ICEs alive. Without new, fuel-saving tech (ESS, direct injection, Mazda's new HCCI Skyactiv tech, etc.), manufacturers will not make CAFE standards and you'll be driving around an electric or fuel cell Jeep. Is that better? NOPE.
4) You might check the manual to see if you have your HVAC set properly. If my BMW needs to run the heater or A/C, it shuts off ESS automatically after a short time at a stop to reduce the drain on the battery and run the HVAC. I'm guessing the Jeep ESS should operate in the same way?

Of course you're welcome to hate it, I just don't understand why. In my BMW I literally can't move my foot fast enough from the brake to the gas pedal to beat the engine restarting and catch it flat footed. Why would you take off like that in a Wrangler anyway?

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Does ESS shut off automatically when you are in reverse?

Sponsored

opsfox21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2023 WL Overland
Does ESS shut off automatically when you are in reverse?
Yeah, you need to be in a forward gear with the automatic.

On my test drive I personally didn’t have any issues with heat, I had the system set at 22C(72F) and in auto. It was near freezing outside at the time.

The only thing that annoyed me was when stopping and preparing to reverse into a parking spot it would shut off I wasn’t quick enough to leave Drive. Of course immediately starting up again when I did shift to reverse. Anytime it was triggered for a stop of less than say 20 seconds it felt unnecessary to me, but I suppose it can’t see the future so that’s going to happen sometimes. Having the manual transmission would avoid that problem though.

Overall I like it because I was learning to fly at the same time I was learning to drive and we were taught never to have an engine that isn’t performing work running. It was about fouling the spark plugs and wasting avgas mostly. Long story short it always stuck with me and I always shut my Jeep off when the engine isn’t doing something useful (driving or clearing the windows) and now with ESS I can now do that in traffic which makes my OCD about idling engines really happy.

brandonh

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 dodge 1500 , 2008 town and counrty, 2003 town and country

brandonh

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I experienced my first ESS when I test drove a JLUR. I had a little micro panic when the engine died. Then something like fingernails on a chalk board when I took my foot off the brake and it restarted. I'm the guy who bump starts my Jeep at every opportunity, so this tech bugs me. The other thing is, when the JL gets over 100k miles, how reliable will a split second restart be in traffic?
This guy shows how to disable ESS with no tools or purchasing. pretty smart idea. his video is on the Grand Cherokee but the 3.6 wrangler use the same set. so it so should work. and its easy and free.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBJ_J-o-drc&index=1&list=PLOaTAVEirGxr-XEvLwHNgGOHwixOvuCsZ

Sponsored

brandonh

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I personally DO NOT like it. I am slowly getting into the habit of just turning it off. I really wish it was opposite, whereas the default was OFF and you could turn it on if you'd like. And there might be a few times I do turn it on.

But otherwise, I'm forming the habit of hitting OFF overtime I enter the car.
Here is a way of disabling it for good. it shows a Grand Cherokee. But the wrangler 3.6 l has the same set up as the Grand so it should work. www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBJ_J-o-drc&index=1&list=PLOaTAVEirGxr-XEvLwHNgGOHwixOvuCsZ

brandonh

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

JDMRN81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU, 2018 GC Altitude
Occupation
RN, doctoral student
We have it in our '18 Grand Cherokee Altitude and if I'm driving in bumper to bumper traffic I turn it off, otherwise it stays activated. I don't mind it but feel like there's a little too much lag time after removing foot from brake to gas pedal.

FrenchSSGTMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUS V6
I’m kinda confused though as why Jeep would push this auto stop-start down our throat, while offering Remote start.
As in, they think it’s necessary to shut down your engine as soon as it comes to a stop, to save some mpg’s pretendedly, BUT, they think it’s fine to remote startvyour vehicle and let it idle and burn gas for as long as you want... Kind of totally opposite features IMO
Sponsored