First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
Or better yet, an option in the menus to choose yourself whether the default is On or Off.
This is a great idea. Let me decide how I want to save: fuel vs. wear.
Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Wear for me. Wranglers are supposed to be simple and rugged. Imo, an 8 speed auto mated to a turbocharged, hybrid engine with start/stop is not simple or rugged.

Since 2019s are supposedly getting BSS, it's basically 2018 MY or die for me.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Personally surprised so many people hate it. It doesn't bother me.

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Wear on what...the starter?
SO theres two engines that both have 100,000 miles. One has ESS and ran for 6000 hours the other did not have ESS and ran for 6500 hours....which one has more wear on it?
I'd say the one that ran for less hours

mind blown.jpeg

Gregodav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2014, Solstice 2007, 1993 GMC Pick-up
Occupation
I. T. Director and Video Director
I have light switches in an eight year old house that are worn out. I have a faucet worn out in that same house.
I had a 1966 Willy's that had one problem: the wipers.
How many times you young wiper-snappers have to take your Jeeps back into get service??? More than once in 15 years?
Starting a car 4 billion times is eventually going to make you drive back to a dealer to repair something.
I would like to be the person that makes the choice. The price of gasoline is too cheap for this kind of fuelishness.

Sponsored

dwoodwo1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Premium, Granite
I see what you did there... nice. Fuelishness. Classic.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
Personally surprised so many people hate it. It doesn't bother me.
Agreed, on this wrangler it’s not bad at all... I have experienced it on some vehicles where it really sucks.. but I kind of like it on the JL

WranglerJLU4Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Patriot
Does the ESS negatively affect the brake and/or power steering pressures when stopped and engine shuts off?

domleeds1919

First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Saab 9-3 Aero; soon to be JLU owner!
I can imagine it would get very old, very fast in stop and go bumper to bumper traffic on 66 and 495 during rush hour traffic in Northern Virginia and MD. at least it can be turned off and/or disabled completely with the bypass mentioned earlier in the thread.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Sounds like it might not engage the way I drive; when I come to a stop I leave the clutch pedal depressed and shift into first.

Sponsored

mdelzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.undercontrollabs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR Sting-Gray
Occupation
Developer, Home Automation and AV
I rented a Jaguar XF a few months back and I didn't like the ESS that it had so I turned it off and set it to sport every time I drove it. Since then I have test driven 2 Saharas and 1 Rubicon. All three times the conditions were quite cold, I think less than 15 degrees out. When it did stop and start the engine it was way less noticeable than it was in the Jaguar.

I've been going back and forth about whether to order the V6 or the hurricane motor and I think I've decided to go with the hurricane which we have all heard does ESS even better than the V6. Part of my decision is based on the idea that there is always going to be something new and there will always be early adopters, vast majority, and the stranglers. My dad's Model-T has to be hand cranked to start, at some point I'm sure starters in general were thought of as an unnecessary technology that cost to much money, had no ROI, and made the car less reliable.

Sweetwater

It won't be long before a forum member comes up with a mod to disable or an aftermarket vendor comes up with a kit to disable it. It is only am matter of time.
I did read a thread awhile back stating you have a time adjustment you can change before it stops. Also it stated if you unplug the light under the hood would disable it. Do not buy anything to correct this as you CAN do it yourself.

Kenc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM TRX, 2020 C8 Corvette, and a Wrangler 392
Occupation
Boat Builder
I do not like it at all and I hate when I forget to turn it off and I come to a stop and it feels like it stalled and then I remember that I forgot to turn it off again. Should be a setting in the menu to turn it off. I can only hope that there will be a software update later that will allow this if enough of us complain about it.

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lagertha 2018 JLUR Sting Gray ;)
I have the 6 speed and it freaks me out when it happens (which isn't often). I feel like I just killed the engine and remember that I am in neutral.
See, that’s what I’m picturing will happen when I drive my manual. I’m going to freak that it’s stalled, then realize that it’s running, then follow that up with a bevy of vulgarity flowing from my mouth.
Sponsored