Do I need a "Dead Pedal"?

Maddingo

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Wrangler TJ, 2018 Wrangler JL
I see a lot of people posting about installing a "Dead Pedal". Does it add that much comfort? I'm driving an automatic, if that matters. I'm about to take a drive from New York to Florida.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Maddingo

Personal preference. Depends on where your left foot feels more comfortable.

As for me I drive thousands and thousands of interstate miles each year and I would not want/use a dead pedal. (Automatic transmission)

My left foot/leg feels best just in front of me, planted on the floor liner. That is what is comfortable for me. I have had multiple vehicles with dead pedals and never used them.

Again, purely personal preference.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I actually like to have my left foot up by my seat when I drive. And if I'm using cruise, both feet up by the seat. That's most comfortable for me.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I actually like to have my left foot up by my seat when I drive. And if I'm using cruise, both feet up by the seat. That's most comfortable for me.
@GreyFox

Yup... that's me also.....

Sponsored

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
I find I'm definately missing it. I may have to install one, soon. I just don't like the current options.

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
I am accustomed to having a dead pedal in my other vehicles. As such, I installed one in my Jeep.

Personally, it affords me a much more comfortable and secure driving position. Especially, when out on the trails.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had to look it up, honestly never heard of one, but I’m a left foot brake user so I don’t know if it would be helpful for that or not?
@Roky

You are a what ? You got to be joking right..

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Had to look it up, honestly never heard of one, but I’m a left foot brake user so I don’t know if it would be helpful for that or not?
:CWL: I'm sorry man... I thought you were joking. Hmm, maybe not for you because you are actually using your left foot?

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
I probably wouldn’t have given it a second thought unless I had seen threads about it on here. I guess I’ve gotten used to every other vehicle on the planet (may be hyperbole) having a slanted spot to rest your foot.

Reading the horror stories with the M.O.R.E., I took a chance on the JeCar one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KW66HLD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Took a minute to install and feels great. Necessary mod? Probably not but it’s certainly worthwhile for me.

BTW, anyone who gets the JeCar model - a good tip is to get a M8-1.25 nut and install the pedal top over the existing bolt without taking off the stock nut. Just put on the pedal top and then a new nut. There is plenty of thread and you don’t have to worry about messing with any of the stock bolts/nuts.

Sponsored

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the MORE pedal. Not a fan. It is too small, too high off the floor. There is a big gap between pedal and side of car. Not comfortable at all. I fabricated a piece of aluminum and attached to the pedal to provide a larger surface. I find myself not using it as much as using it.

I would not buy it again.

RubiZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I personally like my dead pedal. I also have the JeCar one as it's more comfortable and looks more original rather than aftermarket.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, used to race, and you use your left foot a lot braking shifting, sometimes you heel toe on clutch and brake. But it just kinda became a habit lol.
Yep, know the feeling. I used to be a cop and I still stop at every donut shop I pass. Habits are hard to break.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think my foot could reach it even if I had one. But my left foot has never expressed a need for one.
Sponsored