Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

I have searched the forum and haven't seen this issue, so I apologize if I missed it in my search.

I have a manual transmission and I didn't realize that I had the ESS feature until I started to get out of the Jeep this morning and it started up as I exited - I had been sitting there trying to program the Homelink and pushed the clutch or something that prompted it to think I was ready to go and it started. I have found the disable button but hitting that every time is going to get old. I found this youtube about disabling the system - has anyone tried this or found another route to disable ESS.
Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
I have searched the forum and haven't seen this issue, so I apologize if I missed it in my search.

I have a manual transmission and I didn't realize that I had the ESS feature until I started to get out of the Jeep this morning and it started up as I exited - I had been sitting there trying to program the Homelink and pushed the clutch or something that prompted it to think I was ready to go and it started. I have found the disable button but hitting that every time is going to get old. I found this youtube about disabling the system - has anyone tried this or found another route to disable ESS.
All of the ways in the video work.
I just don’t understand how you didn’t realize that you had it, with this forum, the owners manual, the users guide, the big sticker they put on the Jeep when new, etc

OP
OP
Kenny

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

All of the ways in the video work.
I just don’t understand how you didn’t realize that you had it, with this forum, the owners manual, the users guide, the big sticker they put on the Jeep when new, etc
I hear that a lot from my wife. I picked up the car on Saturday and the manual is still in the wrapper. I may want to dig into it.

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
D494D1E1-9DEE-4DDA-A905-B1FB4575087C.jpeg
I hear that a lot from my wife. I picked up the car on Saturday and the manual is still in the wrapper. I may want to dig into it.
Have them send you the actual owners manual. What comes with the Jeep is the users guide . Owners manual is like 600 pages. Might take a while to get one, Jeep sent me one for the 2018 jk before they got it right :facepalm:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
snipe:
has anyone tried this or found another route to disable ESS.
Those all work but you get warning light/message and that would not be something I want.

The ability to disable ESS is one of the many reason's why I purchased and installed a TazerJL programmer.

ZAutomotive who brings us the TazerJL is a forum sponsor!

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Have you considered letting the ESS function as programmed? If you have long stoplights where you live like I do it could help your city mileage. Plus with the Manual transmission its much easier to control when it functions vs the auto.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Tazer JL for the win...

OP
OP
Kenny

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

Have you considered letting the ESS function as programmed? If you have long stoplights where you live like I do it could help your city mileage. Plus with the Manual transmission its much easier to control when it functions vs the auto.
That's a very good point. I will consider it now that I know I have it. Thanks

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That's a very good point. I will consider it now that I know I have it. Thanks
Yeah, its something worth considering but if you still hate it after trying it, there are effective ways to fully disable it, like the Tazer JL or other programmer.

Sponsored

Skye

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Nuclear FSE
TazerJL, never touch the button again!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, its something worth considering but if you still hate it after trying it, there are effective ways to fully disable it, like the Tazer JL or other programmer.
@Sean L
No other programmer can disable the ESS. Just the TazerJL can.. as of today 6/28/18.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@Sean L
No other programmer can disable the ESS. Just the TazerJL can.. as of today 6/28/18.
ah, okay. I really haven't done much research into it, no wonder its the only one I could think of lol.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Sean L
With the TazerJL, l have the choice as far as ESS. TazerJL disables for me always.. BUT, if l encounter what looks like a long long traffic stop, l can press ESS button to enable ESS and the JL shuts down and restarts with ESS. Then when l get under way again the TazerJL without interaction on my part once again disables ESS. So, l make the choice. Yes, on a rare occasion l do trigger ESS.. 8-)

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
@Sean L
With the TazerJL, l have the choice as far as ESS. TazerJL disables for me always.. BUT, if l encounter what looks like a long long traffic stop, l can press ESS button to enable ESS and the JL shuts down and restarts with ESS. Then when l get under way again the TazerJL without interaction on my part once again disables ESS. So, l make the choice. Yes, on a rare occasion l do trigger ESS.. 8-)
This is refreshing, I usually get a very preachy response from the more severe ESS haters.
Sponsored