Sponsored

Auto start stop failure + manual transmission???

kjl2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler 2-Door
Clubs

This one has me scratching my head. 2022, 1800 miles on it. Everything works great, but once I’m in 5th gear auto start stop warning light comes on and says service system. I also lose the little indicator of what gear I’m in. It’s wild. It does NOT happen in 1-4 or 6. Restarting the vehicle makes it go away. I’m lost, truly. Will be taking to dealer if it keeps up. Battery voltage seems decent, sits mid 13’s and then when I stop goes up to 14-14.3 which seems odd to me when stopping, but new cars are weird.

07DEB1F6-504B-4CC5-A4FF-04749780AC67.jpeg
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
This one has me scratching my head. 2022, 1800 miles on it. Everything works great, but once I’m in 5th gear auto start stop warning light comes on and says service system. I also lose the little indicator of what gear I’m in. It’s wild. It does NOT happen in 1-4 or 6. Restarting the vehicle makes it go away. I’m lost, truly. Will be taking to dealer if it keeps up. Battery voltage seems decent, sits mid 13’s and then when I stop goes up to 14-14.3 which seems odd to me when stopping, but new cars are weird.

Jeep Wrangler JL Auto start stop failure + manual transmission??? 07DEB1F6-504B-4CC5-A4FF-04749780AC67
It's likely the gear position sensor. When you're in 5th with the clutch out, it doesn't know what gear you're in, so it disables the auto start/stop to keep from rolling on its own during an auto start. The auto start/stop is just a cause of the symptom. Troubleshoot the gear indication first.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual

Jeep Wrangler JL Auto start stop failure + manual transmission??? 07DEB1F6-504B-4CC5-A4FF-04749780AC67
It's likely the gear position sensor. When you're in 5th with the clutch out, it doesn't know what gear you're in, so it disables the auto start/stop to keep from rolling on its own during an auto start. The auto start/stop is just a cause of the symptom. Troubleshoot the gear indication first.
I had no idea these things have a gear position sensor and a gear indicator... although mines a 2020 manual ..do the newer ones actually indicate in the cluster the number of the gear that its in?

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual

when the system shuts down voltage goes down so... no this is weird and doesn't typically happen even though its a never model

Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I had no idea these things have a gear position sensor and a gear indicator... although mines a 2020 manual ..do the newer ones actually indicate in the cluster the number of the gear that its in?
If you aren't seeing the gear indicator in the cluster then you still need to have the latest recall performed.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
You are missing the second clutch recall. That recall adds that “feature”.
Gregj

@beaups beat me to it!

6th Floor Mule

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6MT
yes, software update sometIme last year.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
If you aren't seeing the gear indicator in the cluster then you still need to have the latest recall performed.
I have totally different panel -gauge set.. would that make any difference?

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I have totally different panel -gauge set.. would that make any difference?
Assuming you have a sport like I do, with the basic monochrome cluster and, yes, it also shows current gear after the latest recall has been correctly applied.

Sponsored

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
You are missing the second clutch recall. That recall adds that “feature”.
Gregj

@beaups beat me to it!
had mine in at a dealer few months back all they did on it was alignment but never mentioned anything else... it took them a full workday just to do that so I haven't been there back as I would need several days or maybe weeks just for them to look at my pull to the right issue. They didn't fix that either

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Assuming you have a sport like I do, with the basic monochrome cluster and, yes, it also shows current gear after the latest recall has been correctly applied.
correct assumption, thanks for info

OP
OP

kjl2020

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler 2-Door
Clubs

when the system shuts down voltage goes down so... no this is weird and doesn't typically happen even though its a never model
I didnt think mid 13’s is considered low voltage, because of the regulators on charging current. I could be wrong though

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
I didnt think mid 13’s is considered low voltage, because of the regulators on charging current. I could be wrong though
if u had a battery replacement then voltage readout is in most likelihood going to change just for the simple reason the battery doesn't need as much charging and holds on to charge better even during use. mid 13s seem pretty good mine needs replacement and I see around 14s on my readout .. it used to read in 13s when new ...when charging the fact that u say that it goes to 114 after shutting down is intrigue to me

acomputernerd

First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
NERD
Did this have an answer? I just swapped my tires back to oem and pulled the tazer and now I’m seeing this as soon as I put it in fifth. I do loose the gear indicator as well as the stop start.
Sponsored