Difficulty filling the tank completely

Wolverine

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5, 2018 JLU Rubicon
I dont have that problem, but I do seem to have an excess amount of "reserve" fuel. When I am on empty and fill up the most I have ever put in is 18.5 gallons. The gauge shows slap full. Im not brave enough to pull a Kramer and see how far I can go before it runs out.
Yep, me too. with only 15 to 20 miles left on trip I fill up and it’s only 17.5 to 18 gallons. So does this mean there is a 3 gallon reserve given the tank is 21 gallons
Sponsored

Ambistoy

First Name
Ambi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2016 Mercedes-Benz C-300
No problem here

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
It doesn't look like I'm getting the full 21.5 either. Before I fill the tank, I note the remaining range and avg. mpg. I divide the range by the avg. mpg to calculate the gallons left in the tank and add that to the amount of gas it takes to fill. It's been coming out right around 19. Based on the fuel gauge being just under the full mark when I fill it, I'd say my tank is not getting full.

fuel gauge.jpg

Last edited:

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
I’ve only put 2 tanks in. Yesterday I had about 16 miles or range left. I put in 18.something gallons, and the gas gauge read full. I don’t see a problem if I never put in more than 18 gallons as long as the gauge reads full. I’d be upset if I could never get the gauge to read full. I hope never to test the how much fuel is left when my gauge is super low!

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
I've had this in the past, turning the handle over works well.
I've had that happen on a vehicle that I owned previously also. I can't remember which vehicle it was though, so it probably was one of the cars that my wife had. For some reason, if you put the nozzle in normally, it would shut off with maybe only a half tank, but if you inverted the nozzle, it would fill up all the way.

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
Just about every modern car does this; they're all programmed to believe the tank is smaller than it actually is. Case in point, my Explorer has an 18.6 gal tank. I've driven 10+ miles to a gas station after showing 0 miles of range remaining, and still only filled 16.5 gal. (I know you shouldn't run it to empty, but I also know there's 2+ additional damn gallons in there!)

It's a safety nanny. The assumption is that you can't be trusted to know the actual range of your vehicle, and will run it on empty given the chance. Since running out of gas is both a road hazard and potentially damages the fuel pump, you have to be protected from yourself.

Point is that you are filling the tank fully. Just that FCA thinks you're too ignorant you be trusted with the real range. And in FCA's defense, so does every other major auto manufacturer.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Just about every modern car does this; they're all programmed to believe the tank is smaller than it actually is. Case in point, my Explorer has an 18.6 gal tank. I've driven 10+ miles to a gas station after showing 0 miles of range remaining, and still only filled 16.5 gal. (I know you shouldn't run it to empty, but I also know there's 2+ additional damn gallons in there!)

It's a safety nanny. The assumption is that you can't be trusted to know the actual range of your vehicle, and will run it on empty given the chance. Since running out of gas is both a road hazard and potentially damages the fuel pump, you have to be protected from yourself.

Point is that you are filling the tank fully. Just that FCA thinks you're too ignorant you be trusted with the real range. And in FCA's defense, so does every other major auto manufacturer.
The XJ that I used to own did not have a DTE figure. It just had an idiot light by the fuel gauge to remind you to refuel as soon as possible. I could get 50-70 miles on the vehicle after the idiot light went on. I carried an extra 5g can of gas with me and I tested it once.

Mr Bill

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I have only 250 miles on mine went to fill it up yesterday and had the same problem will see what happens next time might be the angle?

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Ive filled up every week for a couple months from “full” to empty. I cannot get it any higher than 15 gallons, most of the time it doesnt even make it to the full mark. I cant figure it out. Has anyone else figured out a solution or is it really just programmed that far off? Side note, downward inclines suck in traffic with lowish gas. On an incline ive had it go from 100+ miles left to 15 miles. In stop and go traffic it gets a bit worry some

Sponsored

Kajmcbride

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep TJ, 2005 Dodge Ram, 2018 JLU Rubicon
The fuel filler pipe goes from the cap across the frame to the tank on the inside of the right frame rail and has several bends. After the pump shuts off I shake the Jeep and trickle in the last gallon or so to get the tank as full as possible.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
The fuel filler pipe goes from the cap across the frame to the tank on the inside of the right frame rail and has several bends. After the pump shuts off I shake the Jeep and trickle in the last gallon or so to get the tank as full as possible.
I kinda LOL at the thought of you shaking the JL after the pump shuts off as you say you do..

But, did you know that approx. 8 - 10 cents worth of gas (depends on how much a gal. is ) is left in the gas station gas hose when the pump stops and you remove the gas nozzle. Yup, so for every 10 times you get gas, you are losing say $1.00+-.

Yes, I do let the pump stop, get my receipt and then squeeze the pump handle while holding the gas hose so gravity will allow the remaining gas in the hose to flow to the JL. Yes, one squeeze as then the handle will no longer allow the handle to open the valve in the handle again.

Ok, now you can LOL at me..

p.s. With my Harley, I can go quite a ways on the little bit that comes out of the hose after the pump turns off.

Bswen

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I kinda LOL at the thought of you shaking the JL after the pump shuts off as you say you do..

But, did you know that approx. 8 - 10 cents worth of gas (depends on how much a gal. is ) is left in the gas station gas hose when the pump stops and you remove the gas nozzle. Yup, so for every 10 times you get gas, you are losing say $1.00+-.

Yes, I do let the pump stop, get my receipt and then squeeze the pump handle while holding the gas hose so gravity will allow the remaining gas in the hose to flow to the JL. Yes, one squeeze as then the handle will no longer allow the handle to open the valve in the handle again.

Ok, now you can LOL at me..

p.s. With my Harley, I can go quite a ways on the little bit that comes out of the hose after the pump turns off.

You are not really losing that gas each time you fill up because the gas would be in the hose for the next person, and so on and so forth. Unless some jerk drained the gas by holding the handle and letting gravity work... ahem... :asshat::asshat::asshat:

:cwl::cwl::cwl: just kidding!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
You are not really losing that gas each time you fill up because the gas would be in the hose for the next person, and so on and so forth. Unless some jerk drained the gas by holding the handle and letting gravity work... ahem... :asshat::asshat::asshat:

:cwl::cwl::cwl: just kidding!
Beat me to it!

OP
OP
WXman

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Turns out that was just an issue with that particular fuel pump. I haven't had the problem since going to other stations recently. I get the usual amount back in the tank now, minus the reserve that is always there when the fuel light comes on.
Sponsored