Did they really do anything ?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Definitely keep us updated. I’m curious what bullshit they come up with this time. Lol

“oh Jeep sent us a bunch of new factory filters, we just used one of those, they’re better than the other ones.” 😂😂😂😂😂
“We also sprayed some dirt on them so you’d feel nostalgic about it”
Sponsored

Last edited:

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Depending on the rules of your state, they likely opened themselves up to unnecessary legal ramifications, as dealers are usually bound by certain laws.

As well, it is the stupidest business decision to do something like this. Only an idiot business owner does not use any interaction to improve long-term business ... it is the cheapest marketing you can get. Treating your customers well is a fraction of the cost of getting a new one.

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Ok so I went to my local Dealer, not where I purchased my jeep, for my first oil change and tire rotation at 4999 miles. all seemed ok they were fast about a half hour to 45 minutes and I was out the door. I was busy with errands yesterday and did not check anything until this morning. I go to the garage and check the oil it looks clean but slightly overfull about a half inch on the dipstick. I crawl under to check the oil filter and make sure there are no leaks, that's when I notice the oil filter says FACTORY INSTALLED ! on it and is not even clean. filter is covered with road dirt just like the underside of the Jeep. I'm Pissed and i'm thinking they never changed the filter at all. Just did a drain and fill with an unknown oil. Now I have to go back and fight with them. Lucky I have photo proof cant wait to see what they have for an explanation. I'm not even sure they rotated the tires now. At @JeepCares Care to comment ???
oil filter.jpg
Not surprising, but also not to much to worry about because the factory filter are easily able to handle 10k miles between changes. That is IF they are used with full synthetic oil. Hopefully the dealership uses only full synthetic.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
This is why I never buy extended warranties. Half the time I still spend the cash and fix it myself to ensure it is done correctly.
This is the first vehicle I've ever bought an extended warranty for and I always DIY everything that I can do w/ the tools I have. The reason I bought one is due to the electronics on these vehicles, I don't have the extensive diagnostic equipment to analyze and perform repairs on that set of problems that may occur. I know it's a gamble but I'm rolling the dice this time :)

FWIW I can handle changing a blown head gasket on an overhead cam V6, changing rear main seals, etc, but if it's something amiss w/ the ECU, not so much :(

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
This is the first vehicle I've ever bought an extended warranty for and I always DIY everything that I can do w/ the tools I have. The reason I bought one is due to the electronics on these vehicles, I don't have the extensive diagnostic equipment to analyze and perform repairs on that set of problems that may occur. I know it's a gamble but I'm rolling the dice this time :)

FWIW I can handle changing a blown head gasket on an overhead cam V6, changing rear main seals, etc, but if it's something amiss w/ the ECU, not so much :(
oh I am with you the electronics are pain. I once for fun priced out the headlights for the navigator with its direction changing hid. 1200 a pop:swear:

Needless to say I stopped pricing that type of thing.

My problem is even with all the dealer equipment I have still had to make multiple trips.

Fatboy97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL
Mark your tires with chalk (FL FR RL RR SP) next time you are forced to go in for a tire rotation so you can see it on the spot if they done it correctly or not.

Also I would always bring a torque wrench in the Jeep and retorque all the nuts on the spot before driving off. Many incidents here where not checking led to major regrets after.
You just can’t get any better than Discount Tire. You can watch while they work on your vehicle and any problems of any kind with your tires are repaired for free. I have had nails in tires, valve stems leaking and everything was fixed for free. Also never had to wait very long to get into shop. I wouldn’t let any dealership even put air in my tires.

WizzBang

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Mark your tires with chalk (FL FR RL RR SP) next time you are forced to go in for a tire rotation so you can see it on the spot if they done it correctly or not.

Also I would always bring a torque wrench in the Jeep and retorque all the nuts on the spot before driving off. Many incidents here where not checking led to major regrets after.
When the dealer did my last oil change and tire rotation- they stripped / damaged about 1/2 the lug nuts and overfilled the oil. I do it myself now.

Fatboy97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Rubicon JL
Depending on the rules of your state, they likely opened themselves up to unnecessary legal ramifications, as dealers are usually bound by certain laws.

As well, it is the stupidest business decision to do something like this. Only an idiot business owner does not use any interaction to improve long-term business ... it is the cheapest marketing you can get. Treating your customers well is a fraction of the cost of getting a new one.
And still we have dealerships that do not understand that the Sales Department makes the 1st sale and the mechanics make all the rest of the sales.

Sponsored

No Spark V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi 3.0 GCM
Clubs

You just can’t get any better than Discount Tire. You can watch while they work on your vehicle and any problems of any kind with your tires are repaired for free. I have had nails in tires, valve stems leaking and everything was fixed for free. Also never had to wait very long to get into shop. I wouldn’t let any dealership even put air in my tires.
2nd this ^
I called them 5 min before closing with a flat tire asking what time the next day they had available and they told me to bring it right over and they'll take care of it. They volunteered to stay open late to get me a new tire on the car that day. Every interaction I've had has been good at multiple locations across the country.

Sidspider

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2021 JLU Willys
I’ve said it many times here and I’ll say it again.

People may say that I have trust issues.
But this is the exact reason why I do my own tire rotations, change my own oil, and make my own sandwich.

Stick by these 3 rules and I promise you will lead a safe and healthy life. Physically and mentally speaking.
I was with you until the part about the sandwich.... mmmmmm... sandwich....

JimmyR75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2014 JK — Previous: 2004 TJ, 1994 YJ
2nd this ^
I called them 5 min before closing with a flat tire asking what time the next day they had available and they told me to bring it right over and they'll take care of it. They volunteered to stay open late to get me a new tire on the car that day. Every interaction I've had has been good at multiple locations across the country.
yes they are awesome. I had one time where they were almost less awesome. Girlfriend had an unpatchable flat, took the wheel & tire into them late afternoon Saturday. Desk guy said “we’re slammed, you can come pick it up Monday”. One of the workers overheard, and interjected “dude it’ll take me 10 min, I’ll just do it”. So, yeah, awesome.

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Those "free" Wave oil changes just aren't worth it.
I tend to agree EXCEPT that I live in a city and don’t have access to a garage etc to do it myself, so I found the dealer closest to me with a Customer First award, then double checked with the service writer that they knew how much and the right type oil, then checked the level when I left. I also verified the paperwork. I also did the same far from home and that dealership did a good job as well. I confess that I didn’t check the filter.

I agree that doing it yourself is the best option but if that’s not practicable as in my situation then you have to take extra care when selecting a dealer, and even then you need to double check everything.