Devices to bypass auto stop/ start

MLS_AZ

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I would like to see the actual numbers that says ESS is saving gas and not causing wear and tear on my engine or engine components. If the numbers say that ESS is saving me anything at all and not creating more problems than its worth, I will throw my Tazer in the trash. I dont think, I will be looking for a trash bucket anytime soon..
So you might see numbers saying (or claiming) that ESS saves MPG. But I can't believe you'll see any numbers/facts saying it does not cause extra wear and tear on the starter/battery/components. That's the trade off.
Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
So you might see numbers saying (or claiming) that ESS saves MPG. But I can't believe you'll see any numbers/facts saying it does not cause extra wear and tear on the starter/battery/components. That's the trade off.

The FCA answer to this, which like I suspect you, I too take with a grain of salt, is that these moving parts are that much more heavy duty to compensate for this wear and tear.

ivanidea

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 2dr
Occupation
IT
Having experienced ESS for 1 year in our Pacfica, it has nearly caused accidents due to the delay on restarting when trying to cross a busy road, or enter a highway. Also, other Pacifica users are reporting that the batteries need to be replaced more frequently (and there are 2).

Since I assume the batteries are not covered by the warranty, I would like to avoid replacing them prematurely, especially since they are not cheap x2!

I do have to admit that so far in the Jeep, I've not experienced the start up lag, but I am still concerned about shortened battery life.

The Tazer Mini appeals, since I would like to add a camera to the grill. I just don't like the fact that the security module has to be bypassed. I also don't like the fact that I can't add equipment to my vehicle without either getting the dealer to program the ECU, or use a non approved (by Jeep) third party device (risking warranty denials). Life was much simpler in the old days (thinking back to the JK :D ).

I will certainly be reading up more about this, before making a decision.