First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
I had to take my Jeep to the dealer for service and a warranty item, so I turned SmartStopStart off while on my drive over to avoid any questions...
To my surprise, even with the switch off, ESS appears to still be disabled.
Win!
Sponsored

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
I had to take my Jeep to the dealer for service and a warranty item, so I turned SmartStopStart off while on my drive over to avoid any questions...
To my surprise, even with the switch off, ESS appears to still be disabled.
Win!
If you have SmartStopStart installed and manually re-enable ESS, SmartStopStart WILL re-enable ESS.
If ESS does not kick in it could be because the the battery is a little low or the cabin temperature has not been reached, or the outside temperature is too low or quite a few other reasons that are designed into the ESS system.

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
If you have SmartStopStart installed and manually re-enable ESS, SmartStopStart WILL re-enable ESS.
If ESS does not kick in it could be because the the battery is a little low or the cabin temperature has not been reached, or the outside temperature is too low or quite a few other reasons that are designed into the ESS system.
Good to know.
Battery should not be low, at least there is no indication that it might be.
Yes, cold outside, but inside is fine.

Thanks for the heads up.
I'll fiddle with it a bit, but not having ESS kick in with the indicator light off on the panel is fine with me!
Maybe when I go to FL in Feb. :)

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Careful there lil buddy.
so says the messenger (you) to the reporter (me) ...you're reply above: my prior implied thoughts exactly, which you're giving back to me....:movember:

Edit:

Here I was thinking you were referencing these blue components for funny double meaning.

Jeep Wrangler JL Devices to bypass auto stop/ start 1609264264544

Last edited:

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
so says the messenger (you) to the reporter (me) ...you're reply above: my prior implied thoughts exactly, which you're giving back to me....:movember:

Edit:

Here I was thinking you were referencing these blue components for funny double meaning.

I totally forgot those were blue! Ha!
I dont see why anyone pays for something to turn off ess when pulling that lil bugger is free... oh well.

Sponsored

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
I totally forgot those were blue! Ha!
I dont see why anyone pays for something to turn off ess when pulling that lil bugger is free... oh well.
The only issue I had with this, is the error it displays on the cluster. It drove me nuts. I bought a taser, best thing ever.

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
Agreed, quite a few people are bothered by the warning light.

Also, some people want the capability to turn the ESS feature temporarily back on at times from the cabin, such as in heavy stop and go traffic, where it might actually save a measurable amount of gas.

MLS_AZ

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
The only issue I had with this, is the error it displays on the cluster. It drove me nuts. I bought a taser, best thing ever.
Good option! That does the job.

Per my prior posts, I put a trailer light tester in the wiring connector on the Jeep and the computer reads it that I am towing. It disables ESS automatically and there is no error message. Works fine so far, so if a vehicle has a hitch/wiring connector it is another option. ;)

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
Haha i understand. To each their own. :).

OP
OP
Resin Addict

Resin Addict

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Moab, ‘22 HighTide, ‘59 Chevy Apache, ‘32 Ford
Occupation
Custom painter/freelance artist
Could someone please tell me again by ESS is so bad?
Sure...
for me (personally), not ever having had a car that’s done this before, it’s the “hollow feeling in the pit of my stomach” when suddenly and unexpectedly my vehicle dies while I’m waiting at a stop sign or red light.
yes, within seconds I remember “ Oh yeah, it’s that “stop-start” thing”, but that doesn’t diminish that initial momentary panic feeling when it appears that my car just died.

Sponsored

MLS_AZ

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Sure...
for me (personally), not ever having had a car that’s done this before, it’s the “hollow feeling in the pit of my stomach” when suddenly and unexpectedly my vehicle dies while I’m waiting at a stop sign or red light.
yes, within seconds I remember “ Oh yeah, it’s that “stop-start” thing”, but that doesn’t diminish that initial momentary panic feeling when it appears that my car just died.
For me, its the increased wear and tear on the battery and starter. And possibly the entire electrical system from what I understand. Just for the sake of a few MPG, I'll pass.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Could someone please tell me again by ESS is so bad? Especially if your engine is equipped with eTorque (like my 2021 Wrangler 3.6L eTorque) and so a different, 48V electric motor is used to start and stop the engine. And also the fact that the engine doesn’t fully stop, meaning the pistons are stopped in optimal locations that makes it much easier for the engine to start spinning again.

With all these features, and the fact the engine is designed for it, and also the fact that the engine immediately starts before even the break pedal is fully depresssed, so there is no lag to speak of, whats so extremely terrible about it? I don’t mean to sound condescending or anything, I am just genuinely curious to learn about something I don’t yet know.
Sure, there's wear and tear on the engine and components, and there's a system that could have been designed better by FCA, that they had to change starting in model 2019 to not strand motorists simply if the ESS/Aux battery lacked adequate power (to then only proceed to having the main battery do most of the crank anyway (at least on 3.6L.))

And with all of this there was the small amount of gasoline savings compared to these downsides--much that is does add up in the industry and start moving us away from ICE propulsion in less painful graduated steps.

But having studied this from a viewpoint of people perceptions I've been forced to establish three less than pleasant conclusions. The first is people's concerns with the impact that moving off of an ICE standard will have on them. Old habits die hard and ESS is the first step in many ever restrictive things that will be forced on consumers by the EPA via automobile manufacturers. People don't like painful change.

The second is people's belief to not buy into some danger when they can't really see it up close--whether it's COVID or global warming or something else. Even when some California forest fire is all but at your door, you can question the cause and effect of CO2 and these fires.

And the third is that some people are just so caught up in not being denied freedoms, like no ESS tech by default, even if it's easily defeated, that they forget, or don't realize, or don't care, or don't believe that in their pursuit of these freedoms they risk denying everyone the freedom to less environmental impact on their actions.

Many people don't get "negative externalities", also know as the costs they're not paying for today, out of pocket, for actions they take now that can have (what they see as questionable) consequences down the road.

(Those willing to pay 3x as much for gasoline to pay for the cleanup it might involve earn an exception.)

Yeah...it's not a commonly accepted theme here. And it would be foolish to expect otherwise. Gas mileage wasn't our first priority when buying a Wrangler, or lifting it, or wishing it came with a beefier engine.

It was this way as public smoking became more restrictive. Smokers wanted the right to light up when going out and not have to freeze outside to smoke and seemed to prioritize less the costs of second hand smoke or benefits of getting more people to quit/not start the habit.

~~~~~

Let the bashing begin. :) It takes on various forms from the hoax of global warming, to the disastrous effects its policy will have on the economy, to personal bashing, to the carbon costs producing such tech involves (not that ICE production lacks this.)

Bottom line, assuming we need to move to a cleaner society where we can (jet fuel propelled aircraft aren't going away anytime soon) it's not going to happen until such production is incentivized by making the status quo more expensive, and prices go down on the new tech as a result of innovation.

SteveSh

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon 4xe
@Resin Addict

@SmartStopStart.com is a forum sponsor here. Steve, the owner of the company owns a JL. He is a real decent guy and backs his product offering!

IF you do not need the Features that the Tazer JL Mini offers, do go with the SmartStopStart unit.

Buy here:
https://www.smartstopstart.com/jeep-dodge-chrysler-products.html

There are a couple of knock offs of the SmartStopStart, but I would avoid them, even if they are a few $ less expensive.

Remember, when you eventually sell your JL, you will be able to sell your SmartStopStart unit, on Craigslist or on this forum for about 65% or so of what you paid for it.

Note: The SmartStopStart is very east to install. MANY forum members here, run SmartStartStops.
The unit works flawlessly!

Here is a pic of the unit and I have also attached the instructions for it
I agree. He is a great guy and his product works great. The dealer messed mine up (I forgot to remove it) and he sent me a replacement inder warranty. Once you figure out how to connect to the SGW, it’s great.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I have " trained " my finger to stab that button on its route from Push to Start to ebrake to Shifter. A nice little detour that lets me count money saved by " Driver Involvement "

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
I would like to see the actual numbers that says ESS is saving gas and not causing wear and tear on my engine or engine components. If the numbers say that ESS is saving me anything at all and not creating more problems than its worth, I will throw my Tazer in the trash. I dont think, I will be looking for a trash bucket anytime soon..
Sponsored