Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
@Resin Addict

About your warranty if you install a SmartStopStart unit. Dealer will be absolutely clueless, if you remove the unit (easy easy to do) before you take your JL in for a Service Department visit..
Or simply push the button so it works 'normal'.
The dealer will never know the device is under the dash panel.
Sponsored

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Wait a sec... so this auto stop/start can’t be turned off completely? My last car had it and it was a simple memory feature and the auto stop/start would be disabled for good. Me personally i cant stand auto stop/start.
Not without a modification of some type, as discussed here.

DaveMNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Sahara
@DaveMNH

Hope others here reading this do their homework, before following your lead. There are inherent issues ... ongoing, sometimes intermittent when you disconnect the one plunger.

Suggest anyone that wants to deal with ESS, to either push the button or spend the $ and purchase a device like the SmartStopStart or a Tazer JL. You'll be able to resell such a unit when you eventually sell your JL... FORGET doing the plunger disconnect or taking the plunger and lying it on it's side so it is not in play..
Really?? What issues are there from disconnecting one of the plungers?? Never had an issue.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Really?? What issues are there from disconnecting one of the plungers?? Never had an issue.
@DaveMNH

Indeed, there are those that may not see any issues... often cause they are lets say oblivious to the issue(s).

Off the top of my head, these reported issues come to mind..... reported problems with remote starting, reported delay in start, when you go to start the JL. Seeing the EVIC light, seeing errant EVIC messages in regard to ESS.

I also remember a couple of JL owner's saying their JL threw a code.... this was probably related to a throttle controller hiccup, thanks to the delayed start (because of plunger disconnect) and the JL owner pressing mashing the gas peddle..

Anyway, some JL owner's see no issue then all of a sudden they do. Kind of a crap shoot so to speak.

To me it just makes more sense, if all you want to do is deal with ESS, is to just buy a SmartStopStart unit and enjoy what it does and then sell it when you dell your JL. Your used SSS unit will be net you close to what you paid for it new, when you sell it..

BadWolf

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Sarge Green)
@Resin Addict

@SmartStopStart.com is a forum sponsor here. Steve, the owner of the company owns a JL. He is a real decent guy and backs his product offering!

IF you do not need the Features that the Tazer JL Mini offers, do go with the SmartStopStart unit.

Buy here:
https://www.smartstopstart.com/jeep-dodge-chrysler-products.html

There are a couple of knock offs of the SmartStopStart, but I would avoid them, even if they are a few $ less expensive.

Remember, when you eventually sell your JL, you will be able to sell your SmartStopStart unit, on Craigslist or on this forum for about 65% or so of what you paid for it.

Note: The SmartStopStart is very east to install. MANY forum members here, run SmartStartStops.
The unit works flawlessly!

Here is a pic of the unit and I have also attached the instructions for it
smartstopstart.jpg
I put one of this type of unit (NOT SmartStopStart) in my 2017 F-150, and half the time it had a mind of it's own. Returned it as defective, bought different brand (NOT SmartStopStart) and it did nothing. I am now in the habit of immediately after starting engine, I reach over and turn it off manually. Just my two cents worth.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
... I am now in the habit of immediately after starting engine, I reach over and turn it off manually. Just my two cents worth.
I don't mind ESS John. But I think that I also would not mind doing what you do if I wanted ESS off.

To each his/her own, but to my way of thinking you can practically press the start button of a JL with the right thumb, and the ESS off switch with another finger from that hand a second later and call it a day. It short order it would become habit that would not only be free $, but not require any disconnect of things when taking your rig to the dealer.

...my two cents to your two :)

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
So I’ve seen two different devices that you can wire into your underdash harness that (basically) save the setting that you last input on the auto start/stop button in the dash. Basically if you turn it (auto stop/start) off, and then turn your Jeep off, the next time you start it it “remembers“ your previous setting and keeps it the same.
i haven’t heard a whole of of good about the auto stop/start feature, and have heard a lot of bad, and my mechanic recommends that I disable it by pushing the button each time I start the Jeep...just wondering if installing any of these devices affects the warranty on the Jeep?
and if I choose to do it, I’ve got 2 options, one that just stores the chosen setting for around $120 or a “tazer” (I think) which does a bunch of other stuff I probably don’t need (although it did have the ability to program the backup camera to come on when you use the turn signal which was kind I’d cool) for about $350 to $400. Recommendations?
I hate this feature, I turn it off every single time I start my jeep!

Thexr6

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392, 2007 JK Rubi, 2021WL overland
I don't recall calling you stupid, but thanks for being proactive. I think paying hundreds of $$$ to not have to push a button that's next to a button you still have to push is totally reasonable.
Okay you guys win!! I am throwing in the towels! I am gonna get that SmartStopStart!! If it is that easy to remove it when I go for service and to put it back on - its definitely worth it. Besides its only $129. Thanks for the info and for assuring me. Do you know how much does other Jeep stuff cost??

Oh my gawd!!! I will RELISH the day when I dont have to push that damn button or forgot to push the button only to find my engine splutter when stopping. That damn features is giving me - you name it - ulcer, baldness, high blood pressure, hoarse voice from %$#%$%^ too much, not in the mood for sex when I am thinking of it along with sleepless night. Oh even thinking of it makes me wanna punch some kittens (not puppies because that would just be mean)

Okay I am exaggerating (no punching - really) but yeah that stupid ESS stuff is NO FUN!!!

bunnie.gif

Thexr6

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392, 2007 JK Rubi, 2021WL overland
Okay you guys win!! I am throwing in the towels! I am gonna get that SmartStopStart!! If it is that easy to remove it when I go for service and to put it back on - its definitely worth it. Besides its only $129. Thanks for the info and for assuring me. Do you know how much does other Jeep stuff cost??

Oh my gawd!!! I will RELISH the day when I dont have to push that damn button or forgot to push the button only to find my engine splutter when stopping. That damn features is giving me - you name it - ulcer, baldness, high blood pressure, hoarse voice from %$#%$%^ too much, not in the mood for sex when I am thinking of it along with sleepless night. Oh even thinking of it makes me wanna punch some kittens (not puppies because that would just be mean)

Okay I am exaggerating (no punching - really) but yeah that stupid ESS stuff is NO FUN!!!

bunnie.gif
I have owned 2 SSS units - one plugged into OBDB port and super easy to install/remove (just like an error code reader) the other (new JL) needs to be plugged in and basically stays there. it is a little bit tougher to get to and not really designed to come and out of car like the one for the Grand Cherokee., In any event, dealer will never know about it, and if they do, they have not asked about it.
That device is money well spent, easy cure for the frustration and safety risk posed by the SS technology.

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
So I’ve seen two different devices that you can wire into your underdash harness that (basically) save the setting that you last input on the auto start/stop button in the dash. Basically if you turn it (auto stop/start) off, and then turn your Jeep off, the next time you start it it “remembers“ your previous setting and keeps it the same.
i haven’t heard a whole of of good about the auto stop/start feature, and have heard a lot of bad, and my mechanic recommends that I disable it by pushing the button each time I start the Jeep...just wondering if installing any of these devices affects the warranty on the Jeep?
and if I choose to do it, I’ve got 2 options, one that just stores the chosen setting for around $120 or a “tazer” (I think) which does a bunch of other stuff I probably don’t need (although it did have the ability to program the backup camera to come on when you use the turn signal which was kind I’d cool) for about $350 to $400. Recommendations?
I just pulled the right hood pin. Disabled it. Cheap and took 1 minute.

Sponsored

MLS_AZ

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
There is a very easy and inexpensive way to disable ESS and I have posted it on a couple other sites. The video is for a Ford truck, but it works on a Jeep. The trailer light tester makes the Jeep believe it is pulling a trailer and ESS is not activated. No need to push the button, it stays off.

I put one on and it works. No more ESS BS. Very simple and easy and no problem with warranty or service. Start the video at the 3:00 minute mark to get down to business:

Hope it helps you!

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
Right...I’m not stupid...read my post, I’m aware of it, rather, I’m specifically asking about aftermarket devices and how they might affect the warranty.
Even though the button is "RIGHT THERE" it still pisses me off when I forget to push it every time. I bought a Tazer and solved my speedo calibration as well... And I dont miss pushing that damn button every time I start my Jeep.

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
BUt then you get the error on you display that drove me nuts, anyway I did. Do you?
Just a light on the dash... never paid it much notice. No error "message" tho.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
There is a very easy and inexpensive way to disable ESS and I have posted it on a couple other sites. The video is for a Ford truck, but it works on a Jeep. The trailer light tester makes the Jeep believe it is pulling a trailer and ESS is not activated. No need to push the button, it stays off.
agrams.19185/

I put one on and it works. No more ESS BS. Very simple and easy and no problem with warranty or service. Start the video at the 3:00 minute mark to get down to business:

Hope it helps you!
Mark: @MLS_AZ

I seriously wonder, with the vehicle's schematics here:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jeep-jl-wrangler-wiring-diagrams.19185/ ...

and the tow harness' 7 pin schematics within this above main link here:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/TRAILER-TOW-SYSTEM.pdf

If someone could buy a 7 pin tester, 7 pin female harness, and short 7 wire cable for the harness, connect the loose ends of the cable to fuses with wires, all under the hood, and plug the tester (also under the hood) into the 7 pin female harness and--whether or not they have the 7 pin connector in the vehicile's rear or not, get this to turn ESS off.

The 7 pins of the connector involve, according to the schematic, pins 1- 7 going to F111, ground, F36, F109, F37, F90, and F107.

Easy, cheap, and no tech to purchase.
Sponsored