First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Moab, ‘22 HighTide, ‘59 Chevy Apache, ‘32 Ford
Occupation
Custom painter/freelance artist
Great analogy. Imagine if you had to push the start button every time to start the Jeep. Or put a seat belt on every time you get in. Or put your foot on the brake before pushing the start button. Or put your Jeep in gear to get it to move. Not having to push the ESS disable will give us freedom from repetition! or not.
Those are all actions necessary (other than putting on a seatbelt) to actually drive the vehicle...so yes, they are required.
The Auto Stop/Start is not, in fact, one might argue that by giving the option of disabling the feature FCA is admitting that they know it’s a unpopular feature that people don’t want to use and give us the option of disabling it each time we start our Jeeps. Most of us would just like our Jeep to remember our preferences.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Resin Addict

Resin Addict

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Moab, ‘22 HighTide, ‘59 Chevy Apache, ‘32 Ford
Occupation
Custom painter/freelance artist
I love my Tazer :)
So did you use it to program your Jeep to remember your Auto Stop/Start preferences?
What do you use the Tazer for, and what is it about it that you like?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
https://www.autostopeliminator.com/...cts/2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-autostop-eliminator

Use code GMTRUCKS (yeah, I know) for $15 off the normal $99 price.
Geeez, $85 is a decent price for sure...

SmartStopStart unit is $129, and shipping is free in the Continental USA.. Also, the SSS unit is very small in comparison to this knock off. Anyway, for the few $ more, I still would go with a SmartStopStart unit.

Of course, there are many that would rather go with a knock off from China,.. To each his own...

@SmartStopStart.com , is a forum sponsor.. a fellow JL owner.... who visits this forum regularly... and if you were to have an issue (doubtful) he stands behind his unit/is here for you 100%.

I might mention that when you go to sell your unit someday, after you sell your JL, that the SmartStopStart unit will be easier to resell.... at least I know I would want to buy a SSS rather then some knockoff.

Last edited:

Aesikidesi

First Name
Rubin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUA / RUFICON
Occupation
Data Analyst / IT Data Recovery
Vehicle Showcase
I like the ESS feature, fools family and friends, i stop the car at the light and a jeep turns off the people in the jeep are like what happen, i tell um the jeep is listening to our thoughts so stop thinking....LOL.

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
Unlike a lot of consumer grade aftermarket electronics, our devices are built to meet or exceed automotive design and quality standards. They are assembled in the US and Canada. Our JL module's electronics are weather and environmentally sealed, which can be important in a Jeep.

SmartStopStart has a 90-day money back guarantee and a 3-year replacement warranty. We stand behind all of our products. Our JL product has a solid proven track record with thousands shipped.

Sponsored

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
One of the first mods I did. I ordered the SSS as soon as I ordered my JLUR, so needless to say ... it arrived first. Agreed it's really easy to just push the button, but I prefer to just get in and not think about it. Well worth the $$ to me.
Same here. :) Ordered my Jeep and then ordered the SmartStopStart as soon as I got home. We lived with ESS in my wife's JL for about a week before I found the SmartStopStart on this forum. I get that it's not worth $100+ to everyone to automate pushing that button every time you get in, but for me at least, it's a lot cheaper than breaking my teeth from clenching my jaw the first time my engine stops at a traffic light to remind me I forgot to push the button. It just all comes down to how much ESS irritates you and how much you're willing to pay to completely remove that irritation from your life.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
So did you use it to program your Jeep to remember your Auto Stop/Start preferences?
What do you use the Tazer for, and what is it about it that you like?
I bought it primarily to reprogram when I changed tire sizes. I actually had to retrain my brain to *not* push the ESS button once I installed it. Muscle memory et al. Perhaps I should ask the Tazer team to allow disabling the ESS memory feature so I don't have to consciously not press the button every time I drive.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shipping is free:

"Free domestic USPS Priority Mail shipping"

Jeep Wrangler JL Devices to bypass auto stop/ start 1598538741460
Thanks.... I edited my post.. I had the site try to add mailing fee when I took a looksee at cart..

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
There's a built-in device to disable it on the dash, only inches away from the button you have to push to start the jeep anyhow.
I don't recall calling you stupid, but thanks for being proactive. I think paying hundreds of $$$ to not have to push a button that's next to a button you still have to push is totally reasonable.
I know, and it's not just this vehicle/forum. I agree it's annoying at first. But of the ~dozen things you do before the vehicle is moving every time you depart, I don't see pushing one button as that significant. But to each their own :)
I'll throw my hat into the ring and agree with you, that it's a waste of money if disabling stop/start is the only goal. It's a nice added perk, when one also plans on using other features like tire size and tpms changes. Especially, the Rubicon based features like lockers in all drive modes, trac kill, sway kill, etc.

Sponsored

Aesikidesi

First Name
Rubin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUA / RUFICON
Occupation
Data Analyst / IT Data Recovery
Vehicle Showcase
I'll throw my hat into the ring and agree with you, that it's a waste of money if disabling stop/start is the only goal. It's a nice added perk, when one also plans on using other features like tire size and tpms changes. Especially, the Rubicon based features like lockers in all drive modes, trac kill, sway kill, etc.

Shhhh my Jeeps ESS is listening....i think its starting.....i see jeep people.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought it primarily to reprogram when I changed tire sizes. I actually had to retrain my brain to *not* push the ESS button once I installed it. Muscle memory et al. Perhaps I should ask the Tazer team to allow disabling the ESS memory feature so I don't have to consciously not press the button every time I drive.
IF you are not using o
@Headbarcode
@Resin Addict

I ran with the Tazer JL and then the Tazer JL Mini.... I sure enjoyed fooling with the Tazer JL units.

I enjoyed my back and forth's with Joe @ ZAutomotive, and fellow Tazer Jl user's here.

At the start the Tazer JL, in it's fledgling stage was challenging.... never a dull moment lets say.

Anyway, the Tazer JL has come a long long way and I have no reason to knock it... sway people away from it. IT is a terrific addition to the JL...

But.... I found myself over time, not using the features that the Tazer JL offered me.... SO, I sold my Tazer JL Mini, for pretty much what I paid for it... and then went with the SmartStopStart unit which is also a terrific unit...

I should mention that the SmartStopStart unit was the very first to market in regard to a unit that dealt with the JL's ESS... Next in line in regard to this ESS thing.... after many months, was the Tazer JL...

After that came the SuperChips programmer that still to this day has a lame approach to disabling ESS.... requires that you disconnect a plunger in the engine compartment... you got to be kidding....

Then, came the Chinese knockoffs, etc...

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
It seems like there has to be a $7.99 solution that hasn't been acknowledged yet.

How hard can it be for a device to mimic a momentary switch?

I can imagine an autoswitch that physically replaces the exiting push button switch, which senses power on and sends the command just as if you pushed the switch with your finger.

It would be made of plastic and a few tiny components. It would cost $7.99 to make and they could be sold on Instagrat for 50% off the regular low price of $299.

Simples.
...in a pipe dream I'm working on the plastic part that somehow attaches over the vehicle's cranking button and ESS button to actuate both with a single button press; the later about a second later after the successful crank. : - )

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Hahaha! That's funny now, but wasn't at first. I too got so used pushing the extra button every time, before the Tazer. Spent the first month with it, cursing at myself every morning. It'd hit it after startup not realizing I just turned it back on, until it would die at the first stop. That's when the cursing would happen. Lol Spend a couple hundred to hit the button twice, rather than once for free. Hahaha

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Those are all actions necessary (other than putting on a seatbelt) to actually drive the vehicle...so yes, they are required.
The Auto Stop/Start is not, in fact, one might argue that by giving the option of disabling the feature FCA is admitting that they know it’s a unpopular feature that people don’t want to use and give us the option of disabling it each time we start our Jeeps. Most of us would just like our Jeep to remember our preferences.
Hey Randy:

I've read from those in the know that if FCA had made the ESS button remember its on/off state between cold cranks (i.e. latching) that the EPA would not allow the vehicle to participate in the manufacturer's fleet of vehicles by which overall MPG is measured, and CAFE standards are applied. Those standards have huge penalties associated with manufacturers not following them.
Sponsored