Sponsored

Devices to bypass auto stop/ start

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
There's a built-in device to disable it on the dash, only inches away from the button you have to push to start the jeep anyhow.
I guess you have never mangled your finger pressing that button, its dangerous! God forbid should you ever need to change a radio station, or shift.

purple haze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Ecodiesel Sport Altitude
Why buy anything, there are two hood sensors in the engine bay that have springs in them. They are on drivers the side. There is a YouTube video if you are interested. In the video the most inboard one is disconnected which disables the ESS. I have not had any adverse effects just a warning light in the dash with the ESS symbol. If you then push the ESS button the light goes out. I use it as a reminder to push the button but you don't have to.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Why buy anything, there are two hood sensors in the engine bay that have springs in them. They are on drivers the side. There is a YouTube video if you are interested. In the video the most inboard one is disconnected which disables the ESS. I have not had any adverse effects just a warning light in the dash with the ESS symbol. If you then push the ESS button the light goes out. I use it as a reminder to push the button but you don't have to.
@purple haze

You incorrectly minimize the negative impacts of disconnecting that hood sensor.

Before people read your post and do the disconnect, I urge them to do their homework, lets say.

Sure there is a video ... ha ha... but disconnecting the hood sensor can cause issues.

If you want to deal with ESS, best bet is to buy a Tazer JL Lite or Mini or a SmartStopStart...

purple haze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Ecodiesel Sport Altitude
You are right I did not realize this would negatively impact the vehicle. I only know that I have not had any issues so far. So what can this do to my jeep?

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
You are right I did not realize this would negatively impact the vehicle. I only know that I have not had any issues so far. So what can this do to my jeep?
@purple haze

There are a handful of guys/gals, that are undoubtedly, running with that plunger disconnected... and yes, all they may be faced with is that one Evic notice, you mentioned.. or maybe more... but they just haven't been faced with the additional shortcoming(s) yet..

Anyway, over the last 2+ years, this ESS thing... how to deal with it has been talked about here, over and over and over.

After all the talk, it appears that if you want to deal with ESS, your best bet is to buy a Tazer JL or a SmartStopStart unit..

Off the top of my head, I remember quite a few, guys/gals that tried the disconnect the plunger approach, report issues with Remote Start, varied... as in more then one, ESS related EVIC warnings. I know there was a couple of other issues but, I can't remember them right now.

What you might be faced with by disconnecting that plunger can be and is dedicated by your specific JL or JT's options and more..

Anyway, were it me, I'd push the friggin ESS off button, before I would stare at an EVIC warning, because I unplugged a plunger sensor. Reality is, it is easy to push that ESS button..

I like gadgets and though I'm 71, I am drawn to tech lets say... To be installing a Tazer JL or a SmartStopStart, instead of button pushing, was appealing to say the least.. especially, since I knew that say 65% of what I spent dollar wise on such a gadget that dealt with ESS, would come back to me when I sold my JL and I sold the gadget..

Nikko2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '21 4R TRDP, '21 Supra, '13 LR4, '72 442
Vehicle Showcase
One of the first mods I did. I ordered the SSS as soon as I ordered my JLUR, so needless to say ... it arrived first. Agreed it's really easy to just push the button, but I prefer to just get in and not think about it. Well worth the $$ to me.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
It seems like there has to be a $7.99 solution that hasn't been acknowledged yet.

How hard can it be for a device to mimic a momentary switch?

I can imagine an autoswitch that physically replaces the exiting push button switch, which senses power on and sends the command just as if you pushed the switch with your finger.

It would be made of plastic and a few tiny components. It would cost $7.99 to make and they could be sold on Instagrat for 50% off the regular low price of $299.

Simples.

SmartStopStart.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.smartstopstart.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited Sting Gray
Occupation
Electronics Engineer and Business Owner
It seems like there has to be a $7.99 solution that hasn't been acknowledged yet.

How hard can it be for a device to mimic a momentary switch?

I can imagine an autoswitch that physically replaces the exiting push button switch, which senses power on and sends the command just as if you pushed the switch with your finger.

It would be made of plastic and a few tiny components. It would cost $7.99 to make and they could be sold on Instagrat for 50% off the regular low price of $299.

Simples.
The physical ESS override switch in the JL is an integral part of a circuit board module. It is not connected with wires. Most folks would not want to start messing with the electronics on a circuit board, esp. on a new(er) vehicle.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Resin Addict

Resin Addict

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Moab, ‘22 HighTide, ‘59 Chevy Apache, ‘32 Ford
Occupation
Custom painter/freelance artist
To everyone that implies the best solution is to just push the disable button every time you start the Jeep, here’s an analogy of my perspective that maybe you’ll accept.
i have a radio in my Jeep. Imagine that the radio was designed so that every time you turned off the Jeep, the radio turned off, and then each time you started the Jeep, one of the things you had to do if you wanted your radio on was to physically push a button to turn it on. Now imagine someone came up with a relatively low cost device that would make your vehicle remember that you liked your radio on, so it would be on the next time you started your Jeep. Or that every time you restarted your Jeep you had to push a button to tune the radio station to the station you choose to listen to Rather than remember it. Same thing with this, yes, you can push the button each time to disable Auto Stop/Start, but I’d prefer that the Jeep just remembered my preference.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
To everyone that implies the best solution is to just push the disable button every time you start the Jeep, here’s an analogy of my perspective that maybe you’ll accept.
i have a radio in my Jeep. Imagine that the radio was designed so that every time you turned off the Jeep, the radio turned off, and then each time you started the Jeep, one of the things you had to do if you wanted your radio on was to physically push a button to turn it on. Now imagine someone came up with a relatively low cost device that would make your vehicle remember that you liked your radio on, so it would be on the next time you started your Jeep. Or that every time you restarted your Jeep you had to push a button to tune the radio station to the station you choose to listen to Rather than remember it. Same thing with this, yes, you can push the button each time to disable Auto Stop/Start, but I’d prefer that the Jeep just remembered my preference.
Great analogy. Imagine if you had to push the start button every time to start the Jeep. Or put a seat belt on every time you get in. Or put your foot on the brake before pushing the start button. Or put your Jeep in gear to get it to move. Not having to push the ESS disable will give us freedom from repetition! or not.