Sponsored

Death Wobble Started

Senior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport-S
Sadly my first ever post is about my presumed death wobble. I picked up my 18 Sport-S in December last year for context so just as we where in the start of winter. I didn’t drive highway at all last year, all local. Couple weeks ago I took the Jeep on a road trip to PA and almost lost my s.... on I-80 doing maybe 65. Happened 3 separate times on that trip and had to drive home going less than 50 so it wouldn’t happen again at the bridges. Crappy part is that my wife and daughter were with me and now she doesn’t want me driving the Jeep at all with my daughter in the car (I don’t blame her) I have service scheduled on Monday, and candidly a bit pissed that I never got anything from FCA on the alleged fix. What are my options to break lease, anyone have luck negotiating an out with local FCA managers without going through lemon law?
Sponsored

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
Sadly my first ever post is about my presumed death wobble. I picked up my 18 Sport-S in December last year for context so just as we where in the start of winter. I didn’t drive highway at all last year, all local. Couple weeks ago I took the Jeep on a road trip to PA and almost lost my s.... on I-80 doing maybe 65. Happened 3 separate times on that trip and had to drive home going less than 50 so it wouldn’t happen again at the bridges. Crappy part is that my wife and daughter were with me and now she doesn’t want me driving the Jeep at all with my daughter in the car (I don’t blame her) I have service scheduled on Monday, and candidly a bit pissed that I never got anything from FCA on the alleged fix. What are my options to break lease, anyone have luck negotiating an out with local FCA managers without going through lemon law?
From what others are posting, their is no fix. Many of the members on the forum have had the entire steering system checked, this may be the best start. As far as your lease, refer to your contract. Best of luck.

Ehmsea

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 13 Camaro SS, 04 Pontiac GP
Occupation
RF Engineer
At your appointment, they will need to check a few things. I'm not a pro, but I went thru this after going to 37's and a lift. Anyone of these could fix your DW. Might be #1, might be #4.

1. they should replace the steering damper under recall (have them check to see if your Jeep is included in this)
2. they should check the alignment and give you a readout
3. They need to check the torque on all of the bolts on the front end (Tie Rods, Track bar, Upper and lower control arms, and the steering linkage (I think its called the pitman arm)
4. Then re balance the tires.

The Damper recall helped but did not fix mine, it was a bit out of alignment, and re balancing the tires was the final fix for me...

Good luck

If this does not fix your DW, there are more pieces to the puzzle; but I would push to get out of the lease or get a different one. Its not your responsibility to fix that on a stock jeep....

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately, there's no stopping DW, but there are preventive measures. You have an 18, but do you have the original steering stabilizer, or the updated one from the recall? Part # is 580AE. Many have had this replaced and most have had it installed incorrectly. Some have had it replaced & still experience DW. Search V41 in this forum.... also search buybacks & whatever options you're considering. It's all here.

There's also the front track bar...they should replace this. There are several steering components that can lead to DW if either installed improperly, or just plain defective. A lease makes aftermarket components undesirable, and leasing another Jeep is only going to be just that...another Jeep, with the same risk.

Before your dealer visit, be armed with information. Ask questions; given the level of incompetency many of us have seen from the most basic of dealer services, it may be best that you go in already knowing a few things. After your dealer visit, get @JeepCares involved. They'll ask you to PM your VIN and the dealer you visited.

Seeing that you recently joined, I don't know how much reading or research you've done here. Best of success to you with this.

Check for recalls here
https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html

Here are the TSB's & CSN's

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...fication-v41-steering-damper-june-2019.34467/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ermediate-shaft-on-certain-jl-wranglers.9783/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-249#post-764824
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...o-help-cure-steering-issues-68394087aa.25299/

mysto

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Grey 2 door JL Rubicon
I thought worn loose ball joints were a known cause. Did I dream that?

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi Senior,
We certainly regret to hear about your experience. Please keep us updated on your dealer visit. If additional assistance is needed, we are available via PM.
Alex
JeepCares

Fouts

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
It has been my understanding that the steering stabilizer is just a bandaid. In my experience it has most often been the track bar, the bolt has to be the correct size, no slop and everything has to be tight. I will admit my experience has been with 2dr versions.

And also in my experience Jeep doesn't really care. I sent them a question a month ago and no response.

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Is your Jeep stock?

mid so, it is the steering stabilizer. There were 2 replacements for the 18.

version AE is the latest.

You didn’t have true Death Wobble, you had steering oscillation. Once the stabilizer is replaced, tell your wife all will be fine.

I am a long time Jeeper. My ‘18 stabilizer was replaced at 13k for the first and 30 for the second. I have the latest version and am at 42k miles with no additional issues.

woodsters

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking at purchasing 2018 JLU
We recently started having the same thing happen our 2018 JLU. My wife noticed it about a month ago on a long trip. She thought it might of been the road. Then this past weekend, while traveling from michigan to north carolina, it happened to her 5 times. I met up with her in west virginia to drive it the rest of the way (about 150 miles) and it happened twice to me. Took it to the dealership first thing monday morning and they replaced the dampener. We will see if that fixes it or not. Read an article where FCA talks about the cold when they start seeing it happen. Well we had about 20k miles on it (13 months) before it started and it was cold (November in Michigan). So that sounds feasible. Glad we opted for the extended warranty. Who knows how long we will have to deal with this. lol

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
We recently started having the same thing happen our 2018 JLU. My wife noticed it about a month ago on a long trip. She thought it might of been the road. Then this past weekend, while traveling from michigan to north carolina, it happened to her 5 times. I met up with her in west virginia to drive it the rest of the way (about 150 miles) and it happened twice to me. Took it to the dealership first thing monday morning and they replaced the dampener. We will see if that fixes it or not. Read an article where FCA talks about the cold when they start seeing it happen. Well we had about 20k miles on it (13 months) before it started and it was cold (November in Michigan). So that sounds feasible. Glad we opted for the extended warranty. Who knows how long we will have to deal with this. lol
HI Brian,
We're very sorry to hear about your experience. Please keep us updated. If additional assistance is needed, please send our team a PM.
Alex
JeepCares

Sponsored

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
The cold weather steering issue is not related to the steering stabilizer. It is a loss of steering assist from the electric power steering. There is a TSB that was issued in 2018 and a software flash to correct the issue.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
The cold weather steering issue is not related to the steering stabilizer. It is a loss of steering assist from the electric power steering. There is a TSB that was issued in 2018 and a software flash to correct the issue.
Do you have the TSB number or link to a thread? Appreciate it!

LLANERO

First Name
Dario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Can you describe in detail how your death wobble felt like?

A couple weeks ago, my Jeep started doing a death wobble type of steering shaking. It would happen when I hit a bump at about 40 MPH. It would only stop when I reduced the speed to below 20 MPH.

Having experienced real death wobble on my 2008 JKUR I knew it was something else.

My first thought was tire balancing. Since the Jeep was due for an oil change, I took it to the dealer for service and had the tires rotated.

After rotating the tires, the "death wobble" was gone. So I'm sure one of the front tires lost a weight and need to be balanced.

I have an appointment on January to balance all tires, when I get back from our Christmas trip.

omi205

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Well I too have now joined the death wobble family, unfortunately. Had the Wrangler for two month now. No big issues in that time until today. When I got the wrangler I noticed the steering was a bit loose, some play, but this is normal for a Wrangler (is what I am told). Then today, on the highway, here in LA (the 10), it happened twice. Had to pull over each time to get it to stop. Its is definitely a scary feeling when you are surrounded by vehicles all going 60+ mph and then your steering goes nuts on you. The wrangler only has 1,000 miles one it and is completely stock with the upgraded steering damper (580AE)!!!

Going have to call the dealer tomorrow but based on the above this will get nowhere. Considering I basically have a brand new wrangler how can it be bad parts? Is this something that can get you out of a lease if it keeps happening? I don't think lemon law applies here, right, basically after several attempted fixes?

Last edited:

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Can you describe in detail how your death wobble felt like?

A couple weeks ago, my Jeep started doing a death wobble type of steering shaking. It would happen when I hit a bump at about 40 MPH. It would only stop when I reduced the speed to below 20 MPH.

Having experienced real death wobble on my 2008 JKUR I knew it was something else.

My first thought was tire balancing. Since the Jeep was due for an oil change, I took it to the dealer for service and had the tires rotated.

After rotating the tires, the "death wobble" was gone. So I'm sure one of the front tires lost a weight and need to be balanced.

I have an appointment on January to balance all tires, when I get back from our Christmas trip.
Well I too have now joined the death wobble family, unfortunately. Had the Wrangler for two month now. No big issues in that time until today. When I got the wrangler I noticed the steering was a bit loose, some play, but this is normal for a Wrangler (is what I am told). Then today, on the highway, here in LA (the 10), it happened twice. Had to pull over each time to get it to stop. Its is definitely a scary feeling when you are surrounded by vehicles all going 60+ mph and then your steering goes nuts on you. The wrangler only has 1,000 miles one it and is completely stock with the upgraded steering damper (580AE)!!!

Going have to call the dealer tomorrow but based on the above this will get nowhere. Considering I basically have a brand new wrangler how can it be bad parts? Is this something that can get you out of a lease if it keeps happening? I don't think lemon law applies here, right, basically after several attempted fixes?
HI Dario and Omar,
We certainly regret to hear about your experiences. If assistance is needed throughout your dealer visit, please send our team a PM.
Alex
JeepCares
Sponsored